Grapevine Archive for Quiz
Of the 93 who braved their way through this fiendish set of questions, 44 managed to get a perfect score of 10 out of 10!
For those who didn’t, or for the curious, we include the questions and multiple-choice answers below, with the correct answers in bold.
There can, however, only be one winner, and our warmest congratulations go to Mr Adam Nicholson, whose bottle of 2004 Châteauneuf-du-Pape A la Gloire de mon Grand-Père from Domaine Bosquet des Papes will be on its way shortly with our compliments.
We will be running more quizzes soon, and whilst our Rhône opening offer has now closed, those interested in buying en primeur from The Society may enjoy browsing our current opening offer of the 2013 Burgundy vintage, which closes on Tuesday 10th March.
Thanks again for playing!
THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS (Correct answers marked in bold):
1. Which of the following is NOT a major grape variety in the Rhône?
2. Which is the largest appellation in the northern Rhône?
3. Which of the following circumstances do NOT apply to the 2013 Rhône growing season?
An Indian summer
4. Which Hermitage producer’s wines are NOT featured in The Society’s opening offer, as they are released later?
Paul Jaboulet Aîné
Domaine du Colombier
5. Cornas is
A Languedoc region whose wines were poor in 2013
A northern Rhône region whose wines excelled in 2013
A southern Rhône region whose wines excelled in 2013
A Côtes-du-Rhône village whose wines were good but unexceptional in 2013
6. In the southern Rhône, 2013 was a particular success for
7. Of which grape was there a shortage in some of the southern Rhône in 2013?
8. The wines of Lirac, Saint-Gervais and Laudun are most often compared to which grander Rhône region?
9. We feature some reds from Beaumes de Venise in our opening offer, which we highly recommend; but which style of wine is the region better known for?
10. Which of the following is NOT a white wine-producing region in The Society’s opening offer?