01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

50th birthday wine recommendations

If you’re going for the Batailley @Jcmwooldridge, just so you’re aware, Costco are selling 2012 vintage for around the £35 mark :wink:.

even more important @Jcmwooldridge…its in the MK warehouse !

Excellent spot - is that excl VAT?

I’m pretty sure it’s including Vat as I remember it being the same price as the vieux telegraph. Don’t quote me though but I’m sure it was around £35-£36 all in .

showing at £43 online, not sure if it would be cheaper in store

ALWAYS cheaper in store for everything.

The Zilliken Auslese is insanely good - my favourite wine at the Germany tasting earlier this year.

I’d really caution against 2012 classed growth Claret, especially in magnum, if to be drunk soon - I had Batailley 2005 a couple of months back and it took about two hours to open up. Delicious though.

Leah, do you think that Costco wine storage will have been suitable for wines such as this: suitable temperatures over longer periods, etc etc?? It’s certainly a good price if so . . . Batailley is a wine I’d v much like to try, even if the 2012 needs a bit longer before doing so.

I had the 2009 La Lagune recently and it was drinking really well.

I agree though that a 2012 in magnum may be a bit young, It should be opening up in normal bottle size now though.

The magnum on the list, fwiw is a 2008:

I share the concern over the 2012 and was thinking of the magnum which is 2008 as pointed out by @tom.

However I see there are a range of back vintages at L&W:

https://www.laywheeler.com/search?price=duty-paid&searchtext=Batailley

Just perusing the L&W site and saw this 2009 Château Durfort-Vivens which is a great vintage and drinking well now.

https://www.laywheeler.com/product-detail?id=01090541

Tasting notes here - https://www.farrvintners.com/wine.php?wine=25919

Any wines I’ve ever purchased from them have never had a problem. I’m imagining their storage is quite cool , their range has increased over the past few years and whilst they stock a lot of cheaper wines they have upped their game on the fine wine side. Their prices are really really competitive and in most cases less expensive than most other retailers for the same wine and vintage.

I agree with that. I’ve bought a number of bottles of wine ranging between £15-£30 per bottle and have never had any problems with them.

Haven’t been to Costco for years now (my friend gave up her membership), but I wouldn’t worry much about storage. Just back from Sicily, where I discovered a couple of wine shops with (quality) local wines of 15 to 20 years old, which had been stored in the shop for a number of years at ambient temperature (probably above 25 degrees for at least the summer months). All the ones I tried were in excellent shape.

I wonder how much this ties in with the post on keeping wines in the fridge?

The chemist in me wants to look at the reaction rates of wine being aged/spoiling and seeing how temperature dependent they are and in what ranges. I suspect cork drying out/air contact and light are actually far more damaging to wine than being kept at within a reasonable room temperature (or fridge) range throughout most of Europe.

Many thanks for all your thoughts on Costco etc storage conditions. I’ll see what the one nearest me has and, if good news on that front, hope to go there soon with a pal who has a card . . . .

Thanks again Leah, I went to Costco today and the Batailley '12 was indeed £36, so got I three. That’s significantly less than TWS without being on any sort of offer. The store’s temperature seemed to me ideal for wine, so the only issue was to get out without spending the saving on the wine on something else, though I did also come away with a gallon of olive oil. Now I just have to stick the bottles away and try to forget about them for a few years.

Glad you managed to get some :wink:, I’ll be taking a trip at the weekend again to see what wine treasures they have in store .