01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

$558,000+ for a bottle of 1945 la romanee-conti

Good question. I guess it depends on the product. The thing about wine is that it’s ultimately about drinking. But like anything in our Capitalist world, it can become a trophy, an icon, a thing beyond its original purpose. Lots of things can become that - a work of art, Axel Rose’s pants, Jesus’s finger - whatever; but wine is a single-use commodity, and elevating it to something which costs as much as something more durable, just seems mad.

I appreciate what you say, though. I got no easy answers. If I had a pair of shoes that you were willing to pay 3 times their price for - yes, I’ll probably sell them to you (unless I was very attached to the shoes- which I usually am!!).

I guess my question is - at what point do these exchanges become ridiculous and out of proportion. Maybe no one can answer that - because we’re destined to think in terms of supply and demand, profit and free market.

I like to think of DRC as Schrödinger’s wine. Until the cork is pulled it is both a drink and a trophy. Depends on how much you have to waste which one you go for.

I’m very much in @Inbar’s camp on this one. Someone commented above ‘what if it’s corked’ but that question is, I think, irrelevant as it is unlikely the cork will ever be removed from this bottle. Assuming it never gets broken it will probably continue changing hands for the next century and for ever more obscene amounts of money. It is no longer really a bottle of wine it is a high valued antique and I suspect the problem here is that we are all continuing to think of it as a bottle of wine.

Completely agree with this.

I’ve always regarded wine for drinking, and not for paying silly money as in this story, but each to their own i guess.

Rich

First off: It is VERY unlikely to be drinkable - so that is not it’s purpose any more.

So it’s a speculative investment - plain and simple. With almost zero intrinsic value except as an antique (as another poster points out). The new owner is now waiting for an even bigger fool to come along and buy it on

. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Good luck to them. The only down side is this kind of activity fuels Burgundy price inflation, making even the ordinary Premier Cru bottles beyond my wallet.

Reminds me of “The Bottle Imp” :laughing:

I agree with Leah: Buy rare whisky instead because it remains drinkable for MUCH longer (once bottled), and is possibly even more desirable - especially for the far eastern market.

Which brings me to my hobbyhorse: why is TWS allowing it’s Whisk(e)y offer to wither on the vine? surely if Berry Bros can do it successfully, and TWS USED to do the same… why not now?

nb: I’m not talking about simply flogging Glenfarclas / Deanston own label (anyone can do that) but ADDING VALUE; buying casks then bottling and selling them further down the line.