01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Absolutely NOTHING to do with wine

Loving this thread :joy:

We live to the back of a moor. Our cat loves to kill moles but refuses to eat them. Think they may be poisonous? Anyway, rubber glove on, I’ve become quite the proficient ‘mole-tosser’ back over the fence and into the moor.

The few rabbits he has brought in are the worst. Those he devours. Very crunchy from the sounds. :nauseated_face:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Our old cat used to have a habit of eating the rabbit’s head and leaving the body as a present somewhere for us to find. Charming.

Significantly less birds of prey, too?

Our cat used to do the opposite! Eat the body, leave the head. A body-less shrew is not the prettiest sight :flushed:

That was a concern and I don’t really like using the poison, but I’m afraid I simply won’t have rats in my garden; apart from the health issues they are very destructive (they created a 25cm hole in the floor of my shed, set up house in there, and chewed out pretty much every bit of soft rubber hosing on my petrol mower). After much research poisoning seemed my only viable recourse. It’s not something I do on a regular basis and now the rats are gone, so is the poison. With regard to the local raptors the only ones in this area that might take a dead rat would be the local buzzards but they never come down anywhere near the village.

Don’t worry, I was not judging… I also would not want rats in my garden, let alone shed / house / atc.

Maybe I should buy a bird of prey :rofl:

That will definitely solve the problem! :+1::grinning:

As a 16 year old, I used to volunteer in a zoological garden near Jaffa. My job was to chop mice and dead chicks with secateurs, and feed them to the birds of prey. The most exhilirating moment was sensing the birds descending towards my offering, making a great big shadow above me… It was worth the slighlty gross task.

I have no words :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

It was actually not as bad as it sounds… Though did feel like baptism by fire in week one! :flushed:

When we lived in Devon we started having rats come into the kitchen through a hole in the wall beneath the sink. When they started stealing entire loaves of bread cooling on the counter, we felt it was time to retaliate… I filled the hole in the wall with filler mixed up with glass, broken as finely as possible. Plenty of blood in the kitchen and the rats (or rat) disappeared.

Nice pixie shoes @Leah

Very nautical Leah…tho the gold trim should be on the cuffs :rose:

Very photogenic couple:bird:

Hmmm… Speak of the devil… :smiling_imp:

I like number 3 . I dont like the shoes. I tend to buy shoes that i walk in . Even smart shoes i require to walk down the Street in . That pointed toe might make it difficult to walk anywhere.
When I lived in London 40 years ago I worked for Dormeuil Ltd who sold expensive and rather fine gentlemens suiting material . The material was made for them to their specifications and was sold under their own brand names . Sportex Tonik and the like. I still have two suits made from Sportex. I worked on the export administration side. I met lots of interesting people. One of them was a colonel attached to the 1930s polish army general staff. Who managed to get out of Poland after the invasion of his country in 1939 . Another was a man by the name of George B… who started work at Dormeuil in 1925 and worked their until his retirement in the 1960s I remained friends with him untill his death in 1978.
My time at Dormeuil in Warwick Street London W 1 concluded an important part of my life . The next major event occurred in 1979 when i gave up my job, without having another job to go to, and moved north to Leeds . Having moved to Yorkshire i have stayed here though no longer in Leeds,

Rat in Mi Kitchen. Whenever i hear this now the lyrics I am singing in my head my differ…
… xxxxin Mi Toaster :smiley:

I have a question which has ‘nothing to do with wine’!

I have been browsing TWS Christmas List and on page 18, there’s the familiar Christmas Survival case. One bottle is a blended malt scotch whisky. What exactly is a malt whisky? Hitherto, I assumed blended whisky, like Grants or Teachers, was a blend of non-descript malts.

So how does a blended malt differ from blended whisky? It seems a bit extravagant to blend, say, Laphroaig with a Glenmorangie.

“Blended Whisky” would normally be a blend of malt and grain whiskies - grain whisky being produced primarily from grains other than malted barley, in a continuous still rather than a pot still.

You can buy single grain whiskies, though they are pretty rare.

A blended whisky will be a mix of single malts and grain whisky. The cheaper it is, the more and younger of the latter.

A blended malt will be exclusively, but more often predominantly, malts with some older grain whisky.