01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

AGM Feedback

agm

You might find this thread interesting!

Definitely. And huge respect to Chris. But way beyond my DIY skills.

It does, however, make one wonder if a local builder could be persuaded to have a go.

I split the reserves discussion off into its own thread. It’s related ot the AGM of course, but taking a life of its own.

Soon? (and why must a post be at least 14 characters)

Agree. So many times I’ve banged on about not stocking any higher-quality versions of grapes like grillo, montepulciano, etc etc, but only the cheap and cheerful one. Here the real value is in the £10-£20 bracket, where you can easily find a very high level of quality. And the result of this is no one ever finds out that real quality is available.

I’ll chase this for you today! It takes a while to co-ordinate but it’s definitely on the way. :slight_smile:

I think sometimes the issue may be that it wont be as popular as the lesser quality/value ones. Many of us on here would clearly appreciate a more complex grillo for example but I wonder for the wider community, would many have even heard of the grape variety?? Just my thoughts

Yeah, I am sure you are absolutely right.

But as prices from most of the famous wine regions head inexorably out of the reach of all but the well off, surely TWS should be working to provide more options? After all, no one who doesn’t travel to … is ever going to find out what is actually available. I would bet 95%+ of buyers of the TWS montepulciano simply don’t know that much better wines are made with this grape.

And if we can’t order these wines from the EU after Brexit, then perhaps there will also be more of a market?

Very valid points @suiko, maybe a campaign focus on “the real Italy” with such wines would help boost the reputation of some of these wines. Who knows… but with @Sarah taking over the Italy buying, maybe we are in for some changes and hopefully some treats too :wink:

I think if TWS thinks to much about keeping the “wider community” happy then it is doomed to be dissapointed - and I’m sure you’re not. [BTW just calling something a community doesn’t make it one, but that’s for another day.]

Seems to me there are different sorts of customers. There are newbies; there are adventerous types; there are “I know what a like” types (guilty as charged!); there are tarts who buy from anyone and everyone (again guilty); those who only/mostly buy from TWS; those who rarely spend more than £10/bottle; and on, and on.

Even though I have zero interest in grillo, I agree with the general point that TWS should always look for better quality - not just cheap - wines.

Did the transcript/Qs&As etc ever get posted?

I’m so sorry for the delay with this - and I appreciate you taking the time to chase it!

The last I heard was that we should have it by the end of July, but as it’s an official transcript it has to go through a certain process before it’s published, and due to various factors (among them the new-look Society rebrand, which was a huge piece of work) it’s taking longer than anticipated.

I’ve just tried to get an answer for you but the person I need to speak to is away until the end of next week. I’ll hopefully have something for you then - I promise I’ll keep chasing and get this published ASAP.