01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Alcohol, mood and mental health

Cheers Mark. Is a brilliant book - one remarkable thing is that you can’t always detect the impact of sleep deprivation. Completely changed my view and wish I’d read it in my twenties or thirties.

I will second that is a fantastic book. It is the book that immediately influenced my behaviour the most post read. I have friends who have expressed similar sentiments too.

I also thought about restricting my alcohol consumption to weekend lunchtimes but often found my resolve wavering in the evening. I just try to accept the risk. Interestingly he also said avoid exercise before sleep. I don’t remember how long exactly he said to leave, but I do occasionally exercise on an evening. Again, risk accepted.

Nice to hear someone else was similarly impressed. The book merits a better title. My recollection is that exercise in the evening isn’t a problem - so long as it’s not right before sleeping. Though I find it can mean I eat a bit too late. Either way, I don’t think the impact on sleep is as negative.

All credit to the OP for baring his soul in that way. In my experience of addiction(in others), honesty is the very first requirement without which no recovery can be successfully attempted.
One thing which struck me was that the first half bottle was drunk prior to decanting. Others have mentioned the “quality rather than quantity” mantra which is very apt and which I support, but we should surely not forget that with red wine, even an everyday wine (especially those, and any young wine) will benefit from decanting even if that is not required for the purpose of separating out the sediment.
My view, which not all may share, is that part of the interest of wine is to experience its development, so I am happy to decant a bottle then drink it over a few days. It can be rebottled and vacuvinned when it gets to the point where it may suffer with further exposure to the air.
This is really all in support of the quality rather than quantity approach.

Many thanks for everyone who has contributed to this. The support of this community is important to me and more importantly, it has become clear that many others employ similar techniques to me to mange their mental well-being. We are clearly a self aware and quite considered and thoughtful group and it has been really helpful and interesting to read others’ contributions.