01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Any port drinkers?

fortified

Hmm perhaps look to use a large red wine glass - as that is what it is, it just happens to be fortified, same advice for sherry (being a aromatic white).

Regarding open port, some LBV we opened a while back started to lose its freshness after around a week or so, it will last opened slightly longer than a still red wine but not a huge amount more, issue being is that the more that is drunk the more air in the bottle. I have been tempted to use the Vacuvins I have for still wine for port to see if that can extend the bottle life a bit more rather than the standard stopper.

Oh really, @M1tch, just a week you reckon? I’m sure I’ve drunk port that’s been open quite a bit longer than that and it’s still tasted pretty good, albeit maybe not at its best. I’ll give the Vacuvin a go next time I open a bottle and make sure we finish it up much faster!

Has anyone tried drinking Port as an aperitif? I seem to remember trying a Ruby Port at a tasting a few years ago and the winemaker recommended drinking it ever so slightly chilled before a meal? The Society’s doesn’t sell a Ruby but maybe I could try with The Society’s Port as it looks such good value…?

Or would chilling it be too heinous? :scream:

I’m (quite clearly) a total novice with the entry-level/lighter stuff - like many of you, I’m another big fan of the Grahams 20yo here as my favourite after-dinner putting-the-world-to-rights-and-finishing-the-bottle tipple…

To be fair port in our house doesn’t last much longer anyway! I would slightly chill down the port - its a red wine so would usually be drunk at ‘room temperature’ - although room temperature has changed over the years. I usually go with a ‘30 minute’ rule, for reds put the wine in the fridge 30 minutes before serving, for whites take the wine out the fridge 30 minutes before serving.

The standard Society Port is good, however only a couple pounds more you can get the LBV which is really good :slight_smile:

Glad there is some love for the 20 year old Grahams, I would also suggest looking at some of the single Quinta wines, 2015 wasn’t a general declaration but there were some declarations and single Quinta wines. I do enjoy Niepoort wines but as Dirk explain to me, his ports don’t always get the ratings they deserve as they mature differently to other ports. When some of the Grahams or Taylor etc ports are tasted usually his wines haven’t matured as quickly meaning he doesn’t always get the scores they deserve when tasted together with other ports of the same vintage.

and what is this exactly for me newbie

An acquaintance of mine did her MW study paper on the effect of serving temperatures on Port. I wish I could have helped out with the empirical testing…

Hmm perhaps we should add to the MW paper under ‘additional research sources’ :smiley:

Tried the Niepoort Bioma Vinha Velha Vintage Port 2015 the other day which is something else! Sadly beyond my budget…

where did you try this?

At a consumer tasting in Dublin, the Ely Big Tasting. Have just published a blog post on the event.

Just found a link to a Guide to Vintage Port by Richard Mayson.
From a quick skim, seems good.
Note that this is a FREE download, so you get a classy Vintage Port book for nothing!!
Here is the link: http://www.infideas.com/books/richard-maysons-guide-vintage-port/

Hope this helps.

I have his book sitting next to me on the desk :slight_smile:

I have posted in a new thread for “Wines that you might like see stocked” and halves of Vargellas is on my wish list. .
You may be able to help?
But the book seems to be a great resource, for free, so to speak.
BTW, I would appear to be a Philistine when it comes to port.
I adore the almost medicinal, (Benylin, other cough medicines are available!) tang one gets from a just decanted port. I like mine consumed that evening, I love the fiery immediacy of the first 12 hours, as this dissipates over a day or two; then I’ve lost interest. Yup, I said Philistine and for most of you, stop throwing the rocks.
Mind you, in the vast majority of cases a bottle is decanted for dinner with friends, normally six. So the bottle does not survive the evening. On one infamous occasion after an International involving Wales, a couple of my Welsh “pals” commandeered the decanter at their end of the table. I was engrossed in conversation (We Welsh can talk, never using one word when 10 will do!) and by the time I emerged looking to see how good the port was, I was confronted with an empty decanter and some barely shamefaced friends. And so, for that dinner we had two bottles of port and truly catastrophic hangovers the following morning. And Wales did win, you knew that!?! LoL

I’ve merged that particular recommendation with an existing thread on the very same topic so that it could be explored together. You can find it in Missing a Wine?

They are as much use as a Babycham coupé is for Champagne!?!

I will admit that I have not really thought much about port, but have had it in the past… I have had and enjoyed 40 year old tawny as well as whatever I was allowed on a trip to Portugal that started in Porto… I cannot say I don’t like the stuff, but really confused by categories.

So firstly, I read a lot about the Society’s crusted port in the topics… so crusted port is made blending 2-3 vintages that I assume have not been declared and then treated exactly the same as vintage port… or am I completely wrong… what makes the Society’s exhibition example so good? I am also just wondering why this category was invented in the first place?

Secondly, I also just found a bottle of 1988 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port that I inherited from a colleague who moved abroad… do you think I should drink up… or wait… or is it too late anyway?

I am far from an expert, but I think, as a blend of 2-3 vintages, the idea of crusted port is to provide a ‘house’ style from a particular port house, in the same way as N.V Champagne, for example.

However, I believe the production of crusted ports is generally declining

Here is an infographic I managed to dig up which might help with the different styles:

I opened a bottle of 1988 Fonseca vintage port last year and it was an absolute delight (though don’t have a record of weather it was the Guimaraens or not)…but I would say unlikely to be past it, and probably just about ready to drink!

I had a bottle of Dow 1975 last year - was starting to fall off but still very drinkable, plan for me is to get a case of 2015 port, put it in reserves, forget about it and enjoy it once I retire.

I might be mistaken but I don’t believe that 2015 was declared by many houses - although they are supposed to be very good. Reason being - the yield for 2016 was much higher means the quality is about the same, so they are most likely going to declare 2016 instead.

Having said that I’ve laid down a few bottles of these SQVP 2015s which have been declared:

Quinta de Vargellas
Quinta de Senhora da Ribeira