01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Anyone had an interesting or unusual previous job?

It’s probably still there and worth seven figures now! :wink:

I played professional football( stoke city & Exeter city ) for about 8 yrs before injury caused me to retire young, I say play very loosely I think I should say sat on the bench ALOT but got to play against some seriously good footballers

My father was assistant warden at Llyn Idwal during WW11 and trained commandos in the Welsh Hills. Sorry -that was meant to be a reply to an earlier post but has jumped to the end.
My own career was surgical and as a trainee I remember taking £3.47 in loose coinage from someone’s stomach. Only bettered by taking 121 old 3d pieces along with 5 years tab ends out of another gentleman’s other end of the alimentary canal. :scream::scream:

Last time I went past the building housed a recruitment agency. The freeholder in my day was the owner of a chain of Italian restaurants and they used to make their house wine in the lean-to at the back of the property.

Probably the most interesting/unusual job I did as a banker, mainly in the Middle and Far East, were the years I spent running the Private Banking operation in the Middle East, although for obvious reasons I can’t go into detail, except to say that I came into close regular contact with some very interesting people, some quite well known, most a real pleasure to deal with.

I think your use of bettered is a little tenuous.

That is a lot of debris!

@Cutter

That has a tad of M * A * S * H about it.
Hawkeye would be proud of you!! :wink:

The poor old chap had no where else to keep his (long outdated) change and tab ends. The X-ray was interesting.

C As a student in 1950’s London I had several ‘interesting’ jobs as a shorthand-typist and general office dogsbody: at Trinity House compiling a list of lighthouses; at a solicitor’s in Finsbury Pavement when I was asked to do the work of one of the partners while he was away on holiday, including researching laws relating to a stolen and missing rented steamroller; at the Paymaster General’s office in Russell Square calculating annual increases in army pensions, using only a pen and paper - one of the pensioners was named Julius Caesar (seriously!); at Ford’s in Dagenham transferring 6-digit numbers from one pile of papers to another (I survived for one day); at the British Medical Association office in Tavistock Square processing subscriptions to magazines with odd titles such as ‘Gut’.

I suppose I have a moderately interesting job; I’m an actor and voiceover artist. Done a lot of interesting work and been fortunate enough to work with some fabulous people. A little gem though is when I was in regional rep with Wayne ‘bandy legs’ Sleep. Approaching his late 50’s he was so ashamed of his baldy patch he used this awful spray on hair stuff to cover it up and, as I shared a dressing room with him it was my ‘job’ to check all looked ok. Until one day he ran out of this spray stuff; so he did what any self respecting ex-principal-ballet dancer of the Royal Ballet would do; went out in the street, picked up some mud from the gutter and slapped it on his tonsure. True story! (Plenty more of them…)

Cannot quite remember the timing (late 80s /early 90s) but between two permanent jobs I had a temporary one working for a firm of chartered surveyors in Woburn Sands. My job was very boring, drawing up orders for materials to be delivered to a building site. What was interesting was the destination of the materials - the Channel Tunnel project. So I can say I played a small part in its construction.

My Dad on the other hand worked at a really interesting place from late 60s to mid 80s - Bletchley Park. By then it was a Post Office (then BT) telephone engineering training school and he was an instructor there. His place of work was the hut that Alan Turing worked in during WWII and apparently there were some very interesting bits of kit in some of the cupboards there. My mother trained as a teacher at a Teacher Training College also based at Bletchley Park.

I realise now that I was very privileged to call the huts, grounds and Mansion a large part of my childhood, playing tennis in the grounds and table tennis in a number of the famous huts and in the Mansion ballroom. I had a summer job there whilst at school taking a tea trolley round the offices in the Mansion and working in the staff canteen. The Mansion was where me and Mr JayKay had our wedding reception at very favourable rates for staff and family. BT and the Teacher Training College all long gone and and it is now a museum.

Early ‘90s as a very young surgical registrar in an outback Aussie mining town base hospital for 6months.
1000km to coast, 2000km to Brisbane for our nearest serious case transfers.
Wife was medical reg.
Snake bite ITU patients, stabbings, spectacular bull dust laden road traffic traumas, skin cancers, worm infestations causing bowel perforations, flying doctor call outs and distant junior doctor colleagues in Aboriginal communities upto 400km from base needing clinical support.
A most fantastic but sometimes terrifying experience.
The social life was amazing, the countryside bush stretching for hundreds of miles has never left us. We had borrowed bikes to commute with. It was 42oC every day.
When we arrived in Darwin and got our one way bus ticket to do the final1500km journey to the Isa, the lady in the office queried why it was only one way. She said “Crikey, if the flies don’t get ya, the people will…” welcome to the outback.
We balanced slabs of stubbies and casks of classy critter wine on our bike handles Til we discovered the “delivery to your fridge” option by the bottle shop. After cycling home, the treat was putting your head in the freezer Til you cooled down.
A Huntsman spider with his 6ft web on our veranda, the dingo that howled on the escarpment behind our house, canoeing on the local lake, going out bush at the weekend with our tents (including Walkabout Creek), “hiring” a plane for a weekend, with pilot, to get to the incredible national parks.
A 40km canoe race on the Gregory River that ended at the pub. Thousands of Mt Isa residents decamping to the river side with their fridges and wardrobes for the weekend to watch. The jackeroo helicopter fliers giving gut wrenching rides and trying to out “top gun” their rivals. The “ hospital stakes” at the race course with everyone in their finery and Akubras. The mine…
The friendships and camaraderie as well as the experience moulded our lives in such a good way. Thank you Mount Isa.

Waiting for the film of it to come out :slight_smile:

I’ve done a fair few jobs. Earliest being 9 years old on the paper round. As a parent looking back at that age I have a few questions as to why my parents thought that was a good idea…

Since then, one of the jobs that stayed with me is working in distribution at British steel in Port Talbot (mentioned above). Every single person who was there made full effort to socially interact and support every single other person, usually via the means of raising a smile. One day they even let me sleep off an 18 year olds hangover (2 pints max 3) whilst also covering me to senior people.

I’ve worked in factories repeating the same task over and over again, my hat is off to people who can do it, although I struggle immensely! I’ve enjoyed working in retail shops. I’ve swept the roads but it’s hard to cope with the monotony of a factory line.

More recently I’ve also led teams where phds are the norm for the basic workers.

The bit I dwell on given the disparity in education and backgrounds, is the well being that people felt between each other at British steel. The support, joviality and happiness (at the time, this was before further cuts etc) that people showed.

It was one of the most lasting impressions I have across all the jobs I’ve had and it serves as a benchmark as to what it means to be fulfilled.

ha! I wonder if Mr Sleep is a member? I work in the industry too, and the stories are indeed legion. My partner toured the world with Lord of the Dance. That was interesting.

I’ve spent the last forty years working in the entertainment industry, the latter 25 as a radio producer making drama or the BBc and audiobooks and also as a theatre producer putting big shows round the country for family audiences. if you took your kids to see a Jacqueline Wilson adaptation that was probably me. But the most interesting job I ever had for this forum was when I was a student in Liverpool in the early 70s.

Like a lot of people, especially now, I’d did loads of student jobs, from the Christmas post to cleaning the superstructure of large factories, crawling around in the girders in the roof with a bucket of soapy water and a rag cleaning off the grease that had condensed from the vapour released by the machines below, to being a stage hand, quite literally, in a London strip club.

But the best job was as a warehouseman for Grants of StJames in Liverpool. many of you will remember Grants of St James as an off licence chain, gone now. They had a large warehouse in the centre of Liverpool from where they supplied their N West branches, and we spent all day loading lorries. To get themselves going , the regulars - about 8 of them - started the day at 8am with a bottle of asti or two, and by 3pm they were on their favourite cocktail, 50/50 creme de menthe and pernod. There is a term in the brewing trade, ullage, which refers to waste alcohol on which you claim back the duty. most pubs have a fes buckets a week form changing the pumps or putting on a new barrel, our warehouse had three dustbins a week.

But the best bit for me was the wine dept, run by Derek, a young man with hair as long as mine, who knew a lot about wine. And because we had the right conditions, we kept the ‘cellar’ of a local lord who had had to abandon his stately home. So Derek, noticing my interest, decided to give me an education. We worked our way through this cellar, a bottle here a bottle there, ending with a premier grand cru claret and a Chateau d’Yquem, straight out of the bottle. You never forget the taste. Ever. I’m eternally grateful to Derek, and for some reason not at all guilty.

Wow I wonder if we’ve bumped into each other? I’ve done over 100 audiobooks; doing one right now in fact!

amazing place !
my old office was the other side of the railway lines in Bletchley !..could just about see it if I stood not he roof and craned a bit !

I was a 13 year old vanboy for the local department store, delivering on a Saturday morning, boxes of groceries purchased the previous day.
A 7.00 am start, 7.30 the van loaded up, to spend 4 hours delivering all over town.
The “best bit” was knocking on doors just after 7.30 hrs, when invariably, the lady of the household attempting to coyly protect her modesty would open the minimally frosted glass front door, that was virtually see through.
Educational, most certainly and I got paid for it!!:+1::+1:
You really could not make it up!!:wink::wink::grin:

There was an interesting summer job I did once when I was either 13 or 14. In '70 or '71 I was working a 40 hour week in a flour mill during my summer holidays (wouldn’t be allowed today, I suspect, but it was different times). 25p an hour, ten quid for the week; I thought I was a millionaire. Anyway what was interesting is that is was still largely water driven. We had some electrical equipment certainly but there was a central shaft that ran through the centre of the building from the turbine in the basement (sorry it was a little more modern than the big four metre water wheels seen on traditional mill walls) through to the attic. All sorts of machinery was run from this central shaft connected by leather belts. Hard work for a little nipper but fascinating even then.