01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Anyone knows what beetle this is

@MarkC I built a fruit cage two years ago and I have loganberry, tayberry, blackberry, redcurrant, blackcurrant, blueberry and gooseberry in it. Then all around those I have my strawberries planted works pretty well and keeps the &%&^ing birds off them. Don’t get me wrong I love birds so long as they stick to their own food and don’t eat mine!

We’ve got loads of plans for the new garden. Mine are mainly food based, MrsPs are more ornamental

Any idea what this little fella might be? We’ve seen him (or her) for the last 3 nights. Approx 1.5 inches long and seems to like shuffling around the patio

Looks like it escaped from this label!..

:smiley:

Lesser Stag Beetle?

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/beetles/lesser-stag-beetle

More conclusive picture of the same species…

Yep, that’s the one - thanks!!

Seeing as there’s a dedicated thread to beetles … I saw this today but have no clue what it is …? A moth ?

Anyone know ?

It looks like a Six-spot Burnet Moth, @Leah

The Cinnabar Moth is somewhat similar in colouring but usually has a black then red bar at the front of the forewing.

Great thanks , good to know, I’d never seen one before :upside_down_face:

I should have added that there are other Burnet moths, but I think they all have five spots on each forewing. But between the Burnet moths and the Cinnabar moth, I think you have all the day-flying moths with bright red wings covered.

I love the level of knowledge here. I’m going to mount the search for some trickier bugs :wink: