01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Build your own spiral wine cellar

diy
cellar

I had to look up the full quote! Some ancient but sound advice right there :laughing:

Aha! So if I am on bedrock, I can go ahead!

(I’m on chalk actually, which is amenable to pick and shovel as well as mechanical excavation. I wouldn’t try the former if you are on solid granite.)

If you’re on bedrock and can dig a 3m vertical hole down, then I think you can probably do pretty much anything… oh mighty one :wink:

Wanna borrow a spade? :rofl:

Be very careful when tunnelling under the floorboards…it is very easy to forget where you stashed that bottle of Lafite…

CaptureGE

Very easy for me to remember: the imaginary wine rack under the stairs. :smiley:

Do you install ground source heat pumps as well!!?

Many thanks, Russ. You are absolutely right.

I was going for (some) brevity in my previous post and, looking again, it could read as if I donned my stetson & just started to dig. Ground conditions do of course vary and the hole was part of a project that involved an engineer and the local building control officer. Don’t go digging far without them!

(Actually it was a joke based on @JayKay’s quote. But we’re on zigzag chalk which should be amenable to picks. I don’t think the Romans would have had anything more sophisticated to excavate all those miles of cellars under Reims and Epernay)

Except for they had slaves…

next to the 1945 Mouton ?

we are on sand/gravel rich soil (they are starting to extract 200m from our house!) and we went to 3.5 m depth…and with no foundations to the house at all…it all stayed up !

All depends. Trenches often stay put at that depth but I wouldnt send a man down one.

Did you have to add any ventilation and humidy meter or regulation? Or will it keep within recommendations bottle storage parameters without?

This is very impressive and made good reading. I would love a cellar and made enquiries about the spiral one. We have moved house though and I’m not going to dig up a perfectly good oak laid floor however like you Chris if I was building from scratch. Did you need to temperature regulate or is cool down there anyway? I do wonder with heat waves etc. whether you ill require proper thermostat to ensure constant temp. perhaps you have fitted although you don’t say. Anyway it looks fantastic. I’d make one big enough for a few stools and a table for tasting!

This is great. Very well done.

We are lucky to have a cellar in our house which we share with Barry (who is our friendly Bat)

Designing the bins was a great joy: somehow the wine tastes better so yours must taste fantastic after what you have achieved.

Absolutely brilliant idea and execution. Just off to have a chat about digging up the floor…

I considered buying a spiral cellar some years ago but, shortly after deciding not to proceed we decided to put a proper first floor on our house and a new garage. A large two car garage was built with a cellar the same size beneath to store my wine. I would never have been able to fill it. Unfortunatly my life changed abruptly and I ended up buying an empty butchers shop which came with two walk-in fridges. The one in the property had to go but the other housed in a concrete garage has a central partition, so I use the first part as a workshop and the second part is fitted out with wine racks and shelving where I can store over 1000 bottles in ideal conditions.

Don’t forget unless like Chris you can install a spiral cellar at a relatively reasonable cost, you have to justify it against the cost of wine you put in it, not a lot of point to spending 20k and then putting 2k of wine in there and if you move house you can’t take it with you, and as others have said it adds no value to the property.
You have to be sure you are there for the long haul.

this was the very position I was in when I had my Spiral Cellar installed…is it worth it ?!

Back then the cellar was £13k with no VAT (as I was in a listed building) - with a 1,300 bottle capacity effectively every bottle had to be worth £10 more when I drank it than when I put it in the cellar…

the “worth £10 more” is a loose term - some wines you can’t buy when they are at their drinking window so you have to buy young and cellar, others I can afford to buy young but not when they are in their drinking window…all a balance

Really good point. I investigated the idea briefly but at current rates, each bottle space seems to cost about £30. That’s a lot of years storage (at full capacity) to break even!!

They do look good though!!