01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Celebrity endorsed drinks

Brilliant! You’re in charge of the snacks @japcraw!

Perfect have half a dozen canapés up my sleeve, ready salted, vinegar, cheese & onion, tomato, marmite, and pork scratchings.

I’ll do the schmoozing, then. Not that I have a clue how, or whom I should schmooze… :thinking:

The Society buyers a good place to start…

Sounds like Orson had a few too many sips before he started! Shoulda spat!

Honest endorsement. He obviously sampled the product sufficiently to put his name behind it.

Interesting that in those days they named Californian wines “Champagne” and “Chablis” :scream:

Napa Mumm used to call their wine champagne until very recently though I can’t find the date of the change anywhere. I think maybe with in the last 10 years or so.

According to Oz Clarke’s Red & White, the Aussies used to call some of their wines ‘Burgundy’, ‘Claret’ and ‘Chablis’ too in the 60’s. Perhaps this was a shorthand that everyone understood.
Unthinkable now… ! :grimacing:

Yep, ‘Rhine’ Riesling and Hock were popular.
Penfolds Grange was known as Grange Hermitage.
Port, Champagne, Tokay (Tokaji) were all a thing.
Hunter Valley reds were often a blend of Shiraz and Pinot Noir labeled as Hunter Burgundy.
White Burgundy was usually Chardonnay or Semillon or a blend of the two.
Then it all had to change.
Still hanging on to Australian Prosecco though :wink:

Not even that long ago, my Aunts favourite white was Houghtons white Burgundy which was either from the Swan or Margaret river. This was even available in the early noughties in the UK :uk:.

Unthinkable now? Hmmm

Apparentlyit’s all down to something I never realised; whilst America signed the Treaty of Versailles it seems the Senate never ratified it.

If I recall correctly, the law in Australia banning the use of terms like “port” and “sherry” on domestically produced fortified wine only finally came into force fully as recently as 2011.

I can remember going to a well-known off licence chain (now defunct) with my late father in the 70’s and seeing things signposted as “Spanish Sauternes” and “Spanish Burgundy”. So it wasn’t just the New World that was guilty of this practice.

Times change. Back then, terms like “Sauternes” were used generically to define a style of wine, not where it came from. Most people drank so little wine, and knew so little about it, the terms provided a useful reference point. For my Mum “sauternes” meant white and very sweet. And for her, I am sure, that was enough. Whether it was French, Spanish or Australian didn’t matter. Different standards for a very different era of wine consumption.

Sorry, Andy but I think you’ve confused them with another winery. I visited Mumm in Napa in the 1980s and they were one of the few sparkling wine makers in the USA not to label their wines as champagne, though US law allowed it.

This was that they were part owned by the Mumm Champagne house.

Respect for geographic names became part of UK law when we joined the EEC.

(Champagne was already protected because of a 1960s court case)

Sweden was using generic names too until they more recently joined the EU. Their horrible monopoly bulk shipped plonk and bottled it labelled as Spanish Burgundy & etc.

Their biggest issue was finding alternative names. They chose Apera (ref aperitif) for sherry. I can’t recall what they settled on for port but the EU relented on restricting the use of descriptors like Tawny and I think few if any makes use the new name but stick to Tawny &etc

Well, that’s a different matter as it is the name of the grape.

It was the Italians, who in a masterstroke, recently decided to claim the name Prosecco for themselves and unilaterally decided to change the grape name to Glera and claim Prosecco as a geographical name.

The Aussies were already making Prosecco way before that time.

Of course, they’ll have to change under the might of the EU.

Now, if Burgundy had argued that Chardonnay was a geographic name what would the rest of the world called their white wines? :slight_smile:

Now called Houghton’s White Classic and still available. Swan River.

I do remember going to the winery when I was around 20 or so. Took a wine cruise down the Swan, my Aunt was rather tipsy :woozy_face::rofl:!

That’s strange. I visited there too, perhaps in early 2000’s, and I thought they did. But I could well be wrong - so many wineries, so little brain!