01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Chateau Giscours fraud case

The bottle says Riebeek Cellars, it is/was a 2016 vintage, forest fruits nose plummy chocolate and a bit of spice, not bad at all for the price, I have drunk Pinotage in the past with mixed results but then it virtually disappeared from the shelves but appears to be having a renaissance.

@cerberus Thanks for the feedback. It’s probably Riebeeks basic wine, relabelled. I’ll have to visit Morrisons.

Riebeek is a reliable producer of ‘lifestyle’ wines and smaller production quality wines, such as Kasteelberg and Pieter Cruythoff ‘Middlepos Vineyard’ Pinotage, a single vineyard bottling… They started in 1941 as a co-operative but after deocracy transitioned to a company owned by the growers.

You’re correct Pinotage is enjoying a renaissance, sales figures are shooting up and thus, unfortunately for consumers, retail prices.

May I respectfuly suggest you try

I shall take your suggestion on board, whilst on the topic, my return to Morrisons for the SB I needed for the anniversary bash showed they have another Pinotage at the unbelievable price of £4.25 with a silver medal for the current vintage, I checked on the Decanter awards for this year and it is correct, little on the back label to go by but the importer is the same as the other one, I did buy a bottle, who knows could be a real find ! though it does sound or seem to good to be true.

It is to good to be true the shelf sticker and the year were wrong and it does not apply to this wine, they also had a Beyerskloof reserve there at a decent price but that means nothing to me .
Probably means the 4.25 is desined for cooking :joy:

Beyerskloof is a fine producer. I’ve looked at the Morrison website and I can’t see what vintage they are selling at £8.50, but Majestic are claiming an Exclusive on the 2016 vintage and selling at at £7.99 mix-six price.

Unfortunately neither are the truly fine Beyerskloof Reserve, but this is labelled as Beyerskloof Reserve Selection, which is designed for the UK market and is bulk shipped.

Reserve is barrel aged, Reserve Selection is a blend - and I don’t know the proportions - of the barrel-aged and the basic ‘white label’ that is made in steel tanks with oak staves.

All the same, I have some Reserve Selection in the ready rack for whenever I need a wine quickly, such as coming home late with a takeaway.