01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Cheese and wine

Going to a wine and cheese pairing on Friday 10 August in Glasgow. 6 wines and 6 cheeses. Will update on each after the event, if I can remember.

Do you have the list of either category in advance?

Not yet. All will be revealed on the night

Wine Price Cheese Rating
Venturina Gavi from Piemonte £9.99 Waitrose Ragstone (an English unpasteurised goats milk cheese) Good match
Elodie Dupres, Cuvee Prestige, Chablis 2016 £13.99 Majestic Tunworth (an English pasturised cow’s milk camembert style cheese) Preferred the Gavi with this cheese
Vina Primera White Rioja 2015 £14.40 Pieroth Comte 18 Month+ (a French semi hard cheese) Fantastic match, this wine also worked well with the Tunworth
Ara Single Vineyard Pinot Noir Marlborough 2014 £11.99 Waitrose Pecorino Tartufo (a pasturised ewe’s milk cheese from Sardinia) The Pinot Noir also worked with the Comte
Stefano di Blasi Chianti Classico 2014 £15.99 Naked Wines Old Winchester (an English cheese cross between Gouda/Parmesan/Cheddar)
Beronia Rioja Reserva 2013 £14.99 Majestic This suited Old Winchester better than the Chianti
Fonseca Reserve Ruby Port £13.49 Majestic Fourme D’Ambert (a French Blue veined cheese) Another fantastic match

This tasting was through the Glasgow Wine School. There will be the equivalent wines in the Society listings. A great way of reading the notes on each and finding a comparison.

Fantastic notes! :+1::+1:
There’s a similar tasting taking place in Brighton, so I’m definitely going to try and book a place on it. Sounds like a fun evening! :blush:

excellent tasting notes @Graeme

I took the liberty o f reformatting the information in a table to make it easier to read and because many here will not realise that this is possible (I will post about how this is done one day soon)

It highlighted that I think there is a cheese and a review missing in the notes you added. Do you have these?

Although there were 6 cheeses, you were encouraged to compare the first 5 with the 6 wines. In that way the white wine offered more variety with the lighter cheeses. The red wines were for the harder cheeses but could spread over both. The last cheese was there to be eaten with the port.
Hope this clarifies the missing notes

For info. The cheese was supplied by George Mewes in Glasgow.
www.georgemewescheese.co.uk

Great notes @Graeme. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. @robert_mcintosh will be particularly interested as he is a BIG lover of cheese… :grin: