01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Coffee ! but how to grind it

Confession time, I actually have three of them in different sizes, so that I am always covered whatever the requirements. The thing to know is that the quoted number of cups refers to espresso shots, rather than proper mugs of coffee. I drink my coffee in a mug. And my wine in a big glass…

… And my wine in a big glass…

There’s another way?

I’ve had a Mazzer for years and am thinking about a new grinder. The Niche looks interesting but for me has two drawbacks. Firstly I want the machine to measure the dose and, secondly, I want the coffee to go straight into the portafilter, rather than via a container.

The niche was really designed as a single dosing grinder. Take a look at the Vario-W.

There’s a lot of research currently going on that suggests a container for a quick stir makes a massive difference in espresso extraction.

I use an aeropress and V60… dependent on mood. Get my coffee from Pact Coffee, used to order beans, but my grinder broke (it was not expensive so I could have expected this would happen), so went back to ground coffee. This thread nudged me to look for a new grinder, so thanks for that. Definitely not paying £500 though. I also prefer a manual grinder, as @lapin_rouge says it does have a therapeutic effect.

Whatever you use, you don’t need to grind it too fine though…

Slightly shocked to see the humble Bialetti in conjunction with a good grinder!

I mean, I used to use the moka stovetops for years, but now they’re a nostalgia trip for rentals in civilised countries! You should get yourself a Gaggia Classic with a grinder like that :grinning:

No way would I grind by hand, personally. Way too much effort per shot, and a Hario at least can’t do it nearly fine enough for an espresso.

3 days later, I am now the proud owner of a Hario medium coffee grinder - bought direct from manufacturer to avoid getting a knock-off copy (seems to be an occasional problem with Amazon)

Really well designed, great materials & finishes. It’s a simple thing, done VERY well. I’m very grateful to the good folk of the community for much advice.

Good stuff, enjoy. But this is how it starts. Then you need decent scales to make sure you’re getting the right coffee to water ratio, and of course a thermometer to check the temperature’s right. Then you’ll get into v60 pourover for a more authentic expression of the bean (or whatever). Next thing you know you’re buying two of @JamesF’s niche coffee machines in case one stops working!

buy three…just in case :wink:

and we thought buying wine was tortuous

Sorry I can’t help with advice on coffee grinding etc., but as it’s related to the subject I would like to say how good it is living in Portugal for much of the year and being able to pop into a cafe and have an excellent expresso for only 60 centimes (50p) - and a pastry for the same price… My grandchildren find it hard to believe that for the price of a coffee in UK (around £2-£3) I could have a week’s holiday when I was their age.

This thread has become somewhat hilarious, when viewed in the light of the recent one… ‘Is wine elitist?’

Who needs wine?

Indeed, I guess I’ve ‘arrived’ as a Coffee Elitest! (feels rather good) - bear in mind however that my mug of elite coffee only costs around 20p.

Maybe it’s the law of diminishing returns. But the switch from ready- ground to grind-as-needed is well down on the curve - plenty of return in terms of flavour and aroma notes compared to previous. I guess it compares to using a decanter (I use TWS version) for wine - great improvement for not much outlay.

That’s a bit like comparing €2 bottle of wine to a €20 one. £2 buys you a decent espresso from a speciality cafe in the UK. The average espresso in Portugal is vile low quality commodity coffee. There are speciality choices in Portugal where you will spend more but get a much better espresso, there’s also places in the UK that will sell you a vile espresso for £1.

https://europeancoffeetrip.com/?s=portugal

Afraid I disagree with you, Aaronb! In my opinion expresso coffee in Portuguese cafes is usually as good as, and often better than, what you get in so-called ‘speciality’ cafes in UK.

eww, id rather go without! And I love coffee more than wine.