Those who’ve been around for a while will know that we run regular online tastings, called TWS Taste.
The idea of these tastings is that we taste arrange a time to taste a pair of wines together, and share our thoughts and impressions via the community threads, just as we would if we were sitting around a table in a private room together.
On the night, we share some background information on the wines, and will occasionally invite the buyers or producers to join us, but we always have a great time tasting and comparing notes, including our food matches.
IT’LL BE ALRIGHT ON THE NIGHT
Each month we select a couple of wines that are easily available, generally available in a mixed case offer or single bottles you can add to your own mixed orders, so any Society member can join in.
There is no ticket to buy, no venue to get to and no dress code. Just make sure you get hold of the bottles in advance and log in to take part.
Below you will find a list of proposed dates for the upcoming tastings, including ideas for themes for each event, and if there is an introductory thread - a link to the relevant conversation.
(note: these will change over time, so please keep an eye on announcements)
- February 22 ~ Theme: Where’s the Value [click here for details & wines]
- March 29 ~ Theme: Off The Beaten Track (note - new time!)
- May 3 ~ Exhibition Chile
- June 14th ~ Battle of the BBQ
- July 11th - Wine Champs
- August 16th: Alternative Argentina
- September 13th: Members’ Favourites
- October 18th: Fine Wine Trade Secrets [Wines TBA Monday 1st October]
- November 22nd: Theme TBA [Wines TBA Monday 5th November]
- December 6th: Christmas! [Wines TBA Monday 5th November]
Making the most of The Wine Society online tastings
We hold these monthly events to have an excuse to share wines together and meet each other. The events are always fun, informal and hopefully useful to help you discover new wines and make new friends.
Here is some simple advice to explain the process.
Before each tasting:
- Join the TWS Taste group today to make sure you are the first to hear about upcoming events, wine selections and guests.
- Check the dates of the upcoming TWS Taste events, and put them in your diary with a reminder a week or two in advance (to remember to order the wines). Don’t miss the fun!
- Keep an eye out for the monthly threads and always add a bottle (or two) of the wines for each event to an upcoming order. Even if you can’t join in on the night, you can try the wines and catch up later.
On the night:
- Make sure you’ve had time to chill the white and settle the red (including decanting it if required)
- Log into the community and say hello! The thread will often be the most recent discussion, but you can search for it with the tag #twstaste
- The tasting takes about an hour – so bring glasses and snacks (or a meal) to enjoy with the wine … and consider having a camera handy to share pictures of your private tasting, your food matches or your tasting partners!
- Read and post along with us. One of us (usually the hugely experienced @ewan) will introduce each wine and give some background about the wine and its story. Occasionally we will also invite other guests to help out, including the buyers or the producers.
- Taste your wines and tell us, honestly, what you think. All comments are saved and linked to the wine for future reference. These are the best reviews of the bottles we could hope for, with the cumulative wisdom of many different members all tasting the same wine and sharing the experience.
- Take part in the polls to decide on your favourite wines of the night.
- Have fun! As well as enjoying the wines, this is a chance to get to know your fellow members
After the event, there will be a record of all the conversations, reviews, questions and answers and more about the wines. After a week or two, we will archive the separate conversations so that the record for each wine can be found more easily by members looking for advice in future.
Here are two examples: