01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

welcome

There is a little bot, quietly running around in the background of this site, diligently keeping track of all the activity on the forum. There are many different things we all do, but they contribute to a healthy, fun and dynamic community.

It measures all the posts we write, reply to and read. It sees how long we spend on the site, and how often we ‘like’ the best contributions. It even looks at the links we share, how popular they are, and which ones we follow.

The purpose is to give us some idea of whether you, the members, find the site interesting and useful.

A side-benefit is that it can use this knowledge to automatically give a small, but hopefully welcome, recognition to our newest members.

##New User of the Month
Each month, the site selects two “NEW Users of the Month” based on the content created, and the community reaction (through replies, clicks and likes) to the contributions of two members who joined during that period.

You can find the list of award winners on the badge page (and my apologies for not mentioning past winners, but that was the ‘test’ period).

Congratulations to the latest winners, @BertieG23 and @KSLaczko! Thank you for your posts and your contributions to discussions.

Very flattered and rather amused to have been selected by the quiet little bot! I’m not sure that I’ve done much other than found a few topics I’m interested in and added my twopence worth, but I guess I must be doing some thing right!

Indeed, but sometimes it is the little things that make a big difference.

(I think you said the magic words “white port” … it had a big effect)

Ditto on Bertie’s comment, but accepted thankfully nonetheless…I guess it was the Catalonian Dalmatian photo that did it!

LATEST NEW MEMBERS OF THE MONTH

Many congratulations to the following members who managed to bag the prestigious * accolade of ‘New Member of the Month’ for October

@DavidTheChemist - particularly for his fascinating ‘wine epiphany’
@Juan - for both his personal wine epiphany, and his obsession with sherry

Thank you and welcome!

… * no other prizes other than the kudos and prestige-for-life of getting the badge

Thank you Robert!!! My girlfriend is rather proud of me because of this. At least now she is not the only one having to listen to me taking about wine :wink:

I might even manage to increase the house budget for wine now!!!

I missed this one again (I don’t get a specific notification, but will fix this).

I was wondering about some League Tables for participation in the community and I realised that we had two more winners of this prestigious award for last month … and these were:

@Amblechops and @NeilS

Both of these members entertained us with the awkward wine experiences, but we also apparently loved their weekend drinking choices. Thank you both, and well done!

A slightly more comprehensive member achievement post coming soon !

This morning, the friendly and hard-working community bot picked its new selections for ‘Members of the Month’ for December 2017, and the winners were:

@KevinHewitt and @MikeSmart

Welcome to both of you and thank you for taking part by introducing yourselves and for sharing great ideas.

Don’t forget that as new members you, and anyone else who has joined and started taking part since November, will be entered into our draw - and if you add an image to your profile, you have two chances to win!

The newest ‘New Members of the month’ will be decided by the great algorithm in the sky (or server) in the next day or two. If you’ve just joined, get posting and liking … it could be YOU!

I also would like to take this occasion to welcome all the new members who I believe might have joined us thanks to the article that only just came out in Society News - so plenty more will probably be arriving in the next few days (cheers @JO4WINE) including:

@robin, @Ikkyu, @Spud, @jamesjohn, @Susan, @Pavel, @wilsog, @Andy999, @nickf, @johnkeithson, @HuwPrice, @MaggieS, @RWFCRC, @AndrewSavage, @jlabrey, @GuidoD

Edit: no sooner had I posted that than we got more new members (so felt I should include you, @Barry_Emmerton @Venavii and @SWIG )

Welcome to you all - I look forward to chatting with you in due course!

What a great welcome, thanks! I only joined last night (and yes, it was thanks to the article in Society News). Looking forward to joining in with the Community.

Many thanks for the welcome. We are a group of some thirty wine lovers based in Salisbury and are looking forward to participating.

** drumroll please **

The NEW MEMBERS OF THE MONTH FOR JANUARY ARE …

@SPmember (for contributions to our tastings discussions) and @bean (whose love of hi-fi and old VWs inspired extra welcome likes)

You will now forever be the proud owner of the star ‘Member of the Month’ badge on your card :star2: :smile:

Welcome also to all those new members who have joined even since my message above - We are so glad to have new members and to see so many of your join the conversation straight away;

@Aldwyn2304 @andrew @SteveSlatcher @michaelcamps @RayC @apache238 @Yorkie @Goater @Mr_T (not THE Mr T are you??) @Johnscot @mbetteridge

More results coming through on the wires as we speak …

This month has been INCREDIBLY exciting for me as we have promoted the community more widely and the membership has grown hugely, with over 200 new members in February alone.

If you have just joined us, I am so very happy to see you here. Please don’t forget to Introduce Yourself so we can meet you and get to know you better.

This means that there must have been an even greater competition for New Member of the Month in February, and I’m very happy to congratulate the winners:

@tbennett54 who shared a very popular bottle he was planning to enjoy on the weekend

and

@tinderbox who gave useful advice on the London restaurant scene and where to enjoy a good bottle while you are out

Many congratulations to them, and another welcome to everyone else joining this month

A little later than usual this month because of Easter holidays (I had a lovely time in Scotland … but it was not because of the wine or wifi) so we have two announcements this month:

First, you might be interested to know that we hit a small milestone last week when the 1000th member of the Community joined us. For the record, I believe that was @MSimmos who is also, I believe, a new member of The Society. Thank you SO MUCH for joining us, and I hope you have a wonderful wine adventure!

Second, the new members of the month for March were … one member and one ‘interloper’

Congratulations to @Stubirrell for a most entertaining and envy-building report of some family celebrations and a special bottle of port!

The second ‘member’ of the month is actually a member of staff who got rather animated in our recent TWS Taste event … and although staff are not usually included in these ‘awards’ the system has decided that he should be celebrated anyway, … so welcome and thanks so much for the insights, @Freddy

A great start to Spring! Thank you all and well done for building one of the most exciting wine (and social) places on the web.

Congratulations everyone and I saw “YES” to more of @Freddy joining in the virtual tastings…:+1:

30 days has September, April, June and the “New member of the Month Report schedule

So it is time again for me to send absolutely nothing but congratulations and good wishes in the direction of two members who have joined us in the last month, and who have helped to make this a fun and busy place.

Our April ‘New User of the Month’ were:

@ChrisP whose chef background, and particularly his love of cheese, got some of us very excited. Chris, I hope the pride in this “award” comes a close second to the promotion of Dulwich Hamlet FC yesterday. Congratulations!

Also due congratulations, though not for any football related reasons, is @colinsmithathome who has actively contributed to a number of threads, but it seems that his advice on making the most of your Society case on holiday proved a member’s favourite!

Thank you both, and welcome again. I do hope this badge will be a welcome boost for the (short) week ahead.

Wow, thanks Robert. I was at the match yesterday and it was absolute carnage. Brilliant scenes. Always happy to talk about cheese and cheese and wine matching (although secretly believe that beer is a better match!).

What a silly badge great way to promote participation.

Another month under our virtual belt, and so many more great new members.

This month we have been joined by a LOT of members who have been with The Society for under a year and so have a lot of wines to explore and get to know, so I’m particularly pleased to see all the suggestions in the weekly share threads.

I’m very excited by some of the new usernames and what they promise about the members contributions, such as: @Lungs_and_livers @granslife @Aviationcomment (shouldn’t you be part of the Mile high club - reporting on airline wine conversation?) and @wildgoose

However, amongst the group there will always be those new arrivals who participate even more than the rest, and therefore achieve the highly-sought-after-yet-ultimately-meaningless title of “New Member of the Month”, and I’m very glad to be the one to welcome:

@Pipe49 who has joined this exclusive club on the back of a very welcome ‘welcome post’ that got many of us excited about New Zealand

and, … another slight interloper, but still welcome

@mcropp who, like @Freddy who captured this gong a few months ago, is a member of Society Staff so I should probably have disallowed this, but whose contributions around the Showroom AMA, and also the fantastic new White Bordeaux videos, have been highly appreciated.

JUNE NEW MEMBERS OF THE MONTH

It’s time to announce the latest New User of the Month badge earners! These badges are awarded automatically to the two new users who have already made a positive dent on this friendly Community.

This month, it’s… ** drum roll**

@ScottC, whose ‘Introduce Yourself’ post entertained us immensely, especially the revelation of his family ‘pet’ being a cuddly mole toy who stars in the family holiday snaps. Still want to see some of these photos! :smile:

AND

@bondy, who joined to tell us how much he’d enjoyed the wines at our AGM tasting - a post which got a lot of ‘likes’ from fellow members and Society staff alike. :slight_smile:

Thanks to both of you for such lovely contributions - can’t wait to hear more from you soon! :+1: