01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Cork Taint

Just read this by Springfield Estate whose wines are stocked by TWS - but not currently.

It is a sad fact, however, that sometimes ones best efforts are not enough. When we still used natural cork on our wines, we bought the most expensive cork money could buy - one that went through extra, rigorous tests to minimise the risk of TCA contamination. Unfortunately, even though all these steps were taken, we still had problems with batches of corked wines - wines that you had kept for a special occasion, or that you had brought out to impress guests with. While the fault is not ours, we are still the ones to shoulder the blame - which is one of the main reasons we have moved over to Diam corks, a cork that is 99.9% guaranteed against cork taint.

source -https://news.wine.co.za/news.aspx?NEWSID=35461

Yep had their 2012 whole berry Cab Sauv which was corked X 3 bottles

Oh, dear. That’s a real shame. It’s lovely stuff and not cheap.

Just come across this after following a post about wine labels Screwcaps video

I’ve had dozens of corked wine over the last 20 years or so, many of them from TWS. I’m pretty poor at picking it up, but if the bottle is badly corked the smell of wet cardboard makes it pretty obvious. The tricky ones are the ones that are less obviously affected - with these you’d mostly just think the wine was a bit crap if you didn’t already know it.

Still don’t like screwcaps much though, either aesthetically or in terms of drinking (reduction) or ageing (too slow!)

:sunglasses:

I’m probably the odd one out (again) as I don’t find much in the way of romance in opening any kind of closure.

But this gives me chance to relate the story of the strangest screwcap failure (of sorts) I ever had. It was on a bottle which turned out to have no screw thread rolled into the metal of the cap. (Bottling involves the whole metal assembly being pressed down in the fashion of a sleeve, and the screw thread is then rolled into the metal to secure it in place). So I was able to pull the whole thing upwards to remove it. Astonishingly, the cap insert was still sealed against the top of the bottle, so the contents were fine.

Sorry if you’ve heard this yarn before.

Well, there are at least two of us.

Dealing with a crumbling cork, and getting the bits out of the wine, is one of the least romantic aspects of a meal.

Super video.

I saw Randall Grahm (owner of Bonny Doon) earlier this month and he was talking about the history of Le Cigare Volante (among other things) and how he got fed up in going to such lengths to make wine only to have it ruined by about the closure.

He presented a vertical of Le Cigare Volante to show how it aged - except for two vintages closed with plastic that he used between cork and screwcap. Plastic doesn’t last and the wines are lost.

+1

The romance is in the wine

Exactly, recent meal had an old bottle (can’t remember what now) but neither butlers thief nor corkscrew could save the bottom 1/3 of the cork disintegrating and coating the top of the contents :frowning: