01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Do you like your chillies?

looks like it has a ‘scorpion’ tail. If it is a naga / scorpion / ghost type chilli then my advice would be to do a taste test with a cocktail stick. Push the stik in the chilli, twirl around a little- place stick on tongue, if brave suck stick. If it feels like you have just put a soldering iron in your mouth then it is indeed a hot chilli. You will then start to drool uncontrollably. If very brave then cut a roundel and have a proper chew. Or for an interesting experiment just pop a whole one in and get ready for pain.

My chillies were a complete disaster this year as I experimented with growing media (and learnt that 100% perlite on top of a little gravel is useless).

Last year I grew: carolina reapers, naga bhut jalokas, lemon aji, zimbawean black, trinidad moruga, yellow 7 pot, red 7 pot, chocolate moruga, cayenne and some other chillies I can’t recall which.

The hot chillies were indeed really hot. I turned most of them into chilli sauce- which is now very hot indeed.

For the record in comparison to Naga / scorpion type chillies Habeneros are not hot.

Chillies derive their ‘hot’ sensation from capsaicin which directly stimulates the pain receptors in your trigeminal (and other) nerves that provide sensory innervation to the mouth (for example there is often a bit of vagus nerve innervation- which probably explains why my ears (or parts of my ears) also hurt when I eat hot chillies)- rather than stimulating your taste buds as well as some people developing uncontrollable hiccuping (as well as crying, runny nose, drooling).

Have fun and tell us what happens.

I got brave yesterday evening, but less brave, so tried some thin roundels sandwiched between buttered bread and cold smoked chorizo… The heat was quite intense, but actually more warmth than pain. It also had the most fantastic fruity flavour, too. The sensation also lasted super long. The main thing with these things is not to let them touch the outside of your lips and a thorough wash off your hands, equipment and working surfaces involved. I only had like 4 slices of the ‘non spicy’ end… Also the yellow variants are said to be less spicy than their red counterparts.

Indeed! I find it never quite goes away though. Maybe that’s the thinking behind the glove-wearing.

Okay, be honest, hands up if you’ve ever chopped chillies, then absent-mindedly picked your nose a little while later :nose: :fire:

Or, worse still, remembered that you haven’t removed your contact lenses yet…

Or gone for a pee, surely?!

Ouch!! just the thought of it…! :scream:

The husband had a worse one, involving the toilet, but I won’t go into details. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Oh indeed, that one too, for us gents…

Yep! poor hubby.
He screamed less when his rib pierced his lung during a bike accident! :grimacing:

buttered bread = cheating because the butter reduces the heat at least a bit. Go on and just munch some naked chilli.

I’ve bought my best chilli plants from The World of Chillies here is what it has to say about yours.
https://www.worldofchillies.com/chilli-plants/pickyourownchilliplants/buy-chilli-plants-unusual-varieties.html

Or a shower!!!

That is interesting, thanks. I may try a slice this evening… if I shore up enough stupidity courage.

We grew a Numex chilli plant that I bought at a farmers market. It was/is a stunning plant with loads of chillis in various colours.

I’ve never been tempted to grow any of the Naga etc. chillies - the next tier down such as the Habanero and Scotch Bonnet are quite hot enough for me! Though that pinkish coloured one in the pic. from @szaki1974 looks rather decorative.

A couple of years ago, we grew a load of Habaneros, and I used them to make a batch of Thai red curry paste. On its first outing, my better half lobbed a tablespoon of the paste into the oil in a hot wok. The resulting cloud of steam caused us to have to evacuate the kitchen for about 10 minutes, doubled over and clutching our eyes in pain.

I’ve never been anywhere near a riot where the police use CS gas, but if it’s anything like that I shall make sure things stay that way.

yep, I made chilli sauce at home out of the super hot varieties I grew last year. The cloud of chilli completely suffused the whole house and the painter who was upstairs and 2 closed doors away from the kitchen was coughing all day. I then discovered that anything I cooked either in th epan I’d made the sauce in or with the wooden spatula was (almost) unbearably hot. Oh the fun we had trying to breath.

Another good place to buy chilli plants (they also do mail order) and seeds is the South Devon Chilli Farm. Really worth a visit if you live in that area, too - they have a polytunnel with a display of over 100 varieties of chillies, and a cafe serving everything with chilli (including delicious hot chocolate).

https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

This year I grew a fabulous Red Scotch Bonnet plant - and a Padron Chilli. Both succeeded, the Padron’s were wonderful fried in olive oil & flaked salt, eaten whole - seeds and all - as a summer evening snack. They only develop heat if left LATE on the plant until black colours appear on the green.

The Scotch bonnets ripened later and are well firey ! one (of course, with seeds) is enough to transform any dish - two for excess, three I have never tried.

Does anyone have a recipe for some kind of way to preserve them for winter use?

Sorry Peter only just seen this - you are correct this is exactly the festival. I was so surprised at how popular it was and how many chilli related stalls there were - I will return next year.

You can just deep-freeze them. The texture may not be quite the same but the flavour/heat is undiminished.

Drying is also very good. It works best with the thinner skinned chillies. And when you dry them, the flavour profile changes, often becoming frutier and warmer while a losing a bit of the intense, immediate heat of fresh chillies. Some chillies are as good if not better dried.

We string our red chillies up on cotton to dry - and use them as Christmas decorations on our pictures - a bit like an alternative holly!

The scotch bonnets - maybe 40 around 38mm dia - not bad for one plant? a colander brimming full in anyway. I washed, split in half, and brined overnight. Then drained and dried the halves, seeds and all in a low fan oven for half a day.

They now fill a 1L kilner jar and get crumbled into pretty much everything. They are (relatively) less firey than fresh, yet with a real fruity depth. Definitely recommend to TWS members. Much better than shop bought chilli.