01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Favourite wine (or food) related books?

@onlyawino @Inbar. My eyesight clearly not what it used to be as at first glance I read this recipe title as “Duck Breasts in Grange”. Well, I’ve always worked to the mantra that you shouldn’t cook with a wine you wouldn’t be prepared to drink…

Not so much a book that you read from left to right. But a book I use frequently to pair food with wine, this book also does the reverse: where you can search for the wine first and it will recommend the food to pair.

I know that there are many mobile apps that do this, but I find many of these only go for a basic level of pairing. This book offers both primary and secondary matches, whilst going in to the details about some of the more detailed options available for (say) a specific meat E.g. what wines pairs best with roast chicken, and sweet and sour chicken.

It’s easy to read, I’ve yet to find anything where it hasn’t provided a decent match, and it has unearthed some surprises that’s has confidently allow me to experiment.

If you like to reference food and wine things, rather than read about both I’d recommend it!

Just started reading this. So far it’s excellent and comes across as part autobiography and part somewhat opinionated wine guide. I have a lot of time for Oz and his books are never less than readable (though I know there are those who don’t warm to his style).

I’m with you on Oz. I got quite a number of his books, and yes - he can come across opinionated, boisterous and irreverent, but I quite like his conversational style. I find his books very informative, without being stuffy. :+1:

For me there are three writers on wine I always enjoy. Oz, Andrew Jefford and Hugh Johnson. The last Hugh Johnson book, A Life Uncorked, was excellent and led me to go back and reacquaint myself with quite a few wine styles I had neglected.

It’s on my Christmas wish list! Good to know it’s a good read.
I agree with you on the three of them! Johnson is the sage, matter of fact, down to earth one, and Jefford is - in my opinion at least - a sort of a poet. Oz is the loud one, but full of hilarious anecdotes, and never boring.

The book that started them all. Predated Jamie Oliver, Hugh Fernley, Nigel Slater & even Keith Floyd - they and others have been copying her style for the last 60 years. If you read just ONE food book this Xmas - this has to be the one. But you already know that, and own the book plus the others she wrote…

2nd prize to Oz Clark ‘Sainsbury’s book of wine’ - bought back in 1987. Knowledge and real enthusiasm - pared down to journalistic paragraphs. Started me off on a lifetime of vinous enjoyment.

And finally, by Andrew Jefford: REALLY interesting commentary on French wine behind the scene shenanigans - this is a must read - https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-France-Complete-Contemporary-French/dp/184000410X

It’s actually a great read, fascinating stuff and an excellent guide to truly wonderful wine producers (as opposed to those with expensive reputations) - although they can be one and the same.

I have just ordered Andrew Jefford’s based on the recommendation of a few on this thread. Can’t wait for it to arrive and start reading it.

Jefford’s New France is definitely my favourite wine book to date. Evocative, educational and poetic! :+1:

Everyone does…

Elizabeth David yes indeed.

Bursting Bubbles - only problem is that every time I go to it I want to open another bottle of champagne…

Another vote for Andrew’s New France. Written quite a while back but nothing really in its league since. No one else writing on wine has his combination of knowledge and actual writing skill - some of it comes across as proper literature rather than simply wine writing.

I’ve loved Jeffords’ columns he’s been writing for us recently (like this one on his Christmas oyster tradition in southern France) so I might add New France to my Christmas list…!

The book has arrived! Very interesting from the first few pages that I have read. I agree with other comments about how Jefford writes like a poet.

Ah look! It even has a gilet jaune :wink: