01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Government Drinking Guidelines

I think that’s just where the tension lies.

I might feel smug enough to think that my drinking habits do not impinge or impact on others - but for many ‘users’, as you call them, this isn’t the case. And so we all pay the price - as a society- for individual choices (others and ours).
Ultimately, though, there’s no government rep checking whether we complied with current recommendations or not, so all we can do is keep the guidelines in the back of our mind, if only as a reference point when contemplating our own intake.

It remains everyone’s decision to make… hence the use of words like guidelines and recommendations.

Just to lighten the mood, this was taken from an Irish Satirical site.****** DO NOT click if you are offended by bad language.

I loved this, @leah!! I just read it out to my other half, putting on my best Oirish accent, and we both laughed our heads off! :laughing: (though perhaps he was laughing at my pathetic attempt at an Irish accent… Who knows!)…

Both my parents did not drink alcohol, not for any particular reason.
As a 15/16 year old I attended a Youth Club once a week supervised by 4 teachers from my school.
There, when they were short of a player, I learnt how to play bridge to a moderate standard.
During lunchtime during school hours, I played badminton with those same teachers which led me to a friendship with Caroline, a classmate. Maybe for another time!!:wink:
I was occasionally in the school debating team, and after we had competed in the early evening, those same teachers would take us to a local pub for a half pint of beer as a reward. We were in the company of responsible adults who played their part not only in my formal education but also the extra-curricular and I was fortunate to have such a responsible introduction to alcohol.
No doubt these days, a P45 would be the result of their actions but in my formative years to have had mentors in Bridge, Badminton and Beer I was a lucky lad.
And yes, I told my parents and surprisingly, they approved.

Learning to drink responsibly was also inculcated into my pre-18 education and my brilliant, supportive, (mostly) liberal sixth form college was surrounded by pubs, where on the last day of term teachers and students would openly drink together. Mind you, this was Lancashire in the 90s and the standard of ID checks was broadly ‘they’re old enough to be here if they act like it’ and so we drank in pubs regularly from 16. It was rarely an issue: a 16 year old in a pub understands that if they put one foot out of line, they will be out of the door and not coming back, so we were often the most courteous clients they had.

There was little sanction for the teachers because we didn’t cause trouble. On the rare occasion that there was any comeback, the source of the misbehaviour was normally the teacher.

Sorry guys. The increase in the NHS scare statistics are a) because they are getting better at identifying causes of death and b) because we are living longer. I use the word “scare” because that is what it is in exactly the same way that the Brexiteers are attempting to scare all right thinking souls.
My mother smoked from the age of 12 until the age of 81, no cancer - yes, some bronchitis and latterly she consumed 140 (yes, 140 - 110 times the UK guidelines) units of alcohol every week. (I also had a grandmother who smoked 80 a day and lived until the age of 92 with no signs of cancer. She also drank.) My mother did not have her first drink (gin and mixed) until lunchtime and went of to whisky in the evening, so she was not addicted to it, she just enjoyed it. A litre of Scotch, a litre of gin, a litre and a half of dry vermouth and a litre and a half of sweet vermouth plus some wine every week. She was happy. She died of a heart attack at the age of 89. I am pretty sure that the cause of her reduction in health over the final two weeks was down to the cocktail of medication she was prescribed for a sore back and high blood pressure.
I am a lightweight drinker compared with her - only 50 - 60 units per week, but I do not take any medication, so expect to live (pickled) until the age of 120!

Sounds like you’re questioning a link between smoking and cancer, based on 2 cases?! Perhaps I’m misinterpreting you, but I’d have to say that’s a bold statement