01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Hello! :) Introduce yourself

introductions
welcome

Hello everyone!

I’m so excited to be a part of The Society’s Community - I thought I’d start a topic where we can all say a quick hello and introduce ourselves if you fancy it… :wave:

I’m Laura - I work for The Society as part of the Copy Team and The Community Team here at our HQ in Stevenage. I live in north Herts with my husband Sam and two sausage dogs (Neville Longbottom and Digby!) and our cat, Elphaba. :smiley_cat:

When I’m not at work, my fave things to do include long walks with the dogs (on the beach wherever possible!), lots of reading, cooking (sometimes with disastrous consequences…) travelling to new cities (most recently Venice! :heart_eyes:) and spending far too much time binge-watching Netflix.

Wine loves: :wine_glass: I’ve loved wine for over 10 years now and my faves are viognier, Rioja, Californian (especially a good bold chardonnay!), and anything Italian, especially Valpolicella Ripasso, although I may be slightly biased on that thanks to my family’s part-Italian heritage… Also anything off the beaten track! Recommendations always welcome.

Really looking forward to meeting lots more fellow Society members and finding out more about you! :blush:

Just joined? Here are some ideas for next steps
Hi everyone, thought I'd say hello
For new users: Community highlights to get you started :)
Best Bargains, Favourite wines and AOB
NEW #TWSTaste [3rd May]: Exhibition Chile
Two prizes to help kick off an exciting 2018
Two prizes to help kick off an exciting 2018
How to become a community ninja
Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month
Getting started in the Community
About the Introductions category
Thirsty Thursday [17th May 2018]

Hi Laura- I also have a passion for Italian wine, particularly the Tuscan reds. I can’t attribute this love to family patronage as common garden English rose :rose:

Hi everyone,

Martin here. I work for The Society on the digital content side, but also write a good deal of our printed material. I live in Hertford with my wife Fia and a Golden Retriever named Knut (he’s nothing but trouble but he does have a far better palate than me and we love him dearly).

Outside of work I am a self-confessed music nut and attend as many concerts as I can, ranging from classical to metal to grime, and many weird and wonderful points in between. I’ve always loved books too, and am constantly endeavouring to keep on top of my ‘to-read’ list.

Predictably another huge passion is, of course, wine. Along with @laura and @Ginger100, I also love Italian reds, but recently I have also been exploring the (incredible) wines of Greece. I am a sucker for good German riesling and red/white Riojas and Rhônes, but as long as it’s good I’ll try anything (I’m hoping to get some good recommendations from this community!).

Very excited to be here! :slight_smile:

Great to meet to you! :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,
My name is Jim and I am also quite excited to be invited here :slight_smile:
My wine interests are quite varied, but generally I am interested in lighter, fresher styles of red from the Jura, Savoie, and the Loire, as well as Sherry, Garnacha from new wave Spanish growers and German Riesling.
Looking forward to getting to know everybody on here :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!

Alex here and I’m a big fan of Rieslings (German in particular), Carmenere and Zinfandel - but generally anything wet and alcoholic goes down well!

I’ve been into wine properly for about 4 years now after visiting my brother in Sydney and going round the Hunter Valley so long may it continue! I’ve added wine tours in Tuscany to that list and would like to add the Mosel and Douro valley sooner rather than later :slight_smile:

Cheers :wine_glass:

Hi - I’m Colin; I spend most of my time in Israel but am in London about 1 week out of 6 for work. That allows me to stock up, drink wine at sensible room temparatures and find restaurants with reasonable corkage policies since the UK in spite of Brexit (so far) remains the best place to discover interesting wines. In Israel it’s strictly white wine - Portuguese, anything Southern Mediterranean, sherry, and of course Vermouth; in London the thirst for New World or cooler climate Pinot kicks in. I was born in Cape Town, have ditched the Pinotage but remain loyal to Chenin and in particular love anything from the Swartland.

Hi everyone! I’m Clint, I’m a student and I do a lot of blind tasting for Oxford. By training, I enjoy trying new varieties a lot and I love the society’s selection :slight_smile:

Hi there :slight_smile: welcome in!

Hi all, I’m David but often go by Bob
I’m based in The Brighton suburbs with my wife and 2 year old daughter. The day job is account management in financial services, but I’m very much a ‘work to live’ sort of person rather than the other way around. Big sport fan - cricket, football and NFL mostly. Music fan too, and was a drummer and songwriter in various bands throughout my 20s.
Been into wine for a while, but started taking a proper interest and learning more about it over the last 5 years or so. Joined TWS after a conversation with a wine merchant friend of a friend who told me it would likely be the best wine-related £40 I could spend. 2 years later and I’ve barely bought from anywhere else.
I’m pretty old world really. Love the reds of Bordeaux, Burgundy, Barolo and Brunello. Very into white Rhone at the moment too. Can’t bear Sauvignon Blanc and don’t care much for big new world Shiraz. That said, I’ll try anything really.
I think the forum’s a great idea, and I look forward to spending many hours waxing lyrical on it. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I find it interesting to find new world equivalent of old world wines, I am with you with regards to some Sauvignon Blanc, some NZ can be very overpowering but others more restrained - always good to try new wines though!

Absolutely with you on that. Speaking of which, the Weinert 2006 Cabernet is an absolutely cracking example. I think you’d have to pay twice as much for a similar quality Bordeaux. Fantastic wine!

I’m hoping to start a series of posts about “discoveries” on the forum, where members can post their favourite wines from the list that maybe don’t get the attention they deserve.

If you find wines such as the Weinert (I personally love the Carrascal and its slightly musky depths) please do post them and tag them with #discovery

Hi, glad there’s an online community on TWS now. My name is Rich and I’m currently a management consultant based in S Wales/South West.

I’ve been interested in wine for a few years now and developed an interest when I was formerly in the army.

My key wine interests include Northern and Southern Rhone, a lot of Italian (incl NW Italy - Nebbiolo!), Rioja and increasingly South Africa. Heading to Rioja later in the Summer for a wine trip around some popular Bodegas!

Thanks

Hi everyone! I’m Ewan and for my sins am The Society’s PR Manager - the ‘face of The Society’ to the trade and press. I joined the wine trade in 1999 and The Society 5 years later and haven’t looked back.

A Damascene encounter with a bottle of Amarone della Valpolicella in the late 80s fired up my interest in wine, and Italy is still my all-time favourite wine country.

Currently holidaying in Portugal (Lagos, Algarve) and the excellent Portuguese wines are at prices that make us UK wine peeps weep! Overdosing on Vinho Verde at the moment and loving it!

Hi all! James here. Member of the Society for about 7 years now I think. Best investment I ever made!

Wine-wise, I have eclectic tastes and love discovering new grapes and wines from different locations. Red-wise I’m a particular fan of pinot, Bordeaux blends, syrah/shiraz, cru beaujolais amongst others. White-wise it’s riesling, chardonnay, semillon and grüner veltliner.

Outside of loving wine I’m a huge sports fan - particularly NFL, cricket and rugby union. Married for 10 years and we have 2 wonderful children!

Really excited this community has been set up and delighted to have been asked to join! Many thanks.

We’re just as excited to have you :slight_smile:

Thanks for your enthusiasm and support. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on matters vinous and beyond, particularly as we will one day be inviting new members to come here to meet existing members and get tips on what to buy and try from the extensive list

Thanks Robert! Always happy to air my thoughts and recommendations, and love hearing those of others too.

I’m Angela, I live in Fife and have been a member for 15-20 years. Other main hobbies cycling and orienteering. Did my first time trial age 53 last week.

Wow, many congratulations! Spent a little time in Fife myself … specifically 4 years at St. Andrews. Where are you based?