01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Hello! :) Introduce yourself

introductions
welcome

Welcome @Nicola1977! I’m sure you’ll find the community an interesting, illuminating and frequently fun place - can I suggest you check out the recent Eurovision, NEW #TWSTaste [3rd May]: Exhibition Chile and Women really do have the best palates Topics - all worthwhile.

The recommendations are also excellent, although frequently resulting in even more wine purchases!

You’re in good company here with that interest, welcome :wine_glass: :grinning:

Thanks all for the welcomes and help
Loving it so far!

So glad you’ve joined us. I would be very interested to know whether you have already been tempted to buy anything you’ve read about here?

I’m sure we’d all love to know what your favourite Society wine is so far, too!

I’m just finishing off my last case (living on your own makes it much harder! :joy:) but just about ready to order another so am looking for recommendations now!

I really love Valpolicella Valpantena, Torre del Falasco 2016 though :blush:

Hi @Nicola1977 glad to see you aboard! What styles/regions do you like? How did get into wine? :slight_smile:

My dad has always been a huge red wine fan so I guess I just picked it up from him! I went on a few wine tasting courses with him and just got the bug.

I very rarely drink white wine as I live red so much, but my taste in red wine is so varied! I do tend to prefer a very full bodied wine. I’m not helping much am I :grinning:

That’s actually great @Nicola1977 - can I suggest you write a short post with some ideas of what you like and get some suggestions from the community (rather than here - so we keep this for introductions) :wink:

Yes Of course :blush::blush:

Hi I’m Leonie married to Maurice. We drink most days but love Fizz Friday the best: we got married 22 years ago on a Friday in Vegas so its been ‘Fizz Friday’ at our home ever since, whether its just the two of us or if we have invited a crowd for supper. I love champagne the best, then cava and only drink prosecco under sufferance because everyone seems to offer it at the mo! We really are experimenters but if I have to choose I will say next up its most anything white from Alsace then Loire, Chilli or New Zealand. With reds its pinot noir for lighter foods then just about anything richer for winter dishes. Also love dessert wine, port, sherry, gin and good cider.

Welcome @leonie, it looks like you will fit right in here with the community. It’s a wonderful place for finding out more about food/ wine matches and more about different wine regions you have to yet explore.
Looking forward to hearing your Fizz recommendations and love the idea of a Friday Fizz theme.

Hello @leonie and welcome! I’m sure you will enjoy the community and get some great wine purchasing ideas. The wish list on the TWS site is a great way to make a note of anything you like the sound of. We like fizz too and would also say Champagne and Cava are our favourites, though we are not connoisseurs at all of the sparkly stuff, we just enjoy it. Have you tried the Cremants from Burgundy, Alsace or Germany? They are a little harder to come by but we like them too, and it feels very authentic to make a Kir Royale with Cremant de Bourgogne (even if it’s supposed to be Champagne).

There are some great posts on here about Pinot Noir so you could use the search facility to seek those out.

Hello there. I’m Scott, a wine lover from Scotland originally (unoriginal naming from my parents…) but now living in SE London.

The day job is IT - I lead the IT team for a medium size London housing association.

I have a husband and a pet mole - more on that later.

I’ve been a keen wine lover for many years, but starting taking it seriously about 10 years ago, and have now been fortunate enough to visit some of the great wine regions, tasting and exploring.

I’ve done the WSET Level 2 and Level 3 courses and I plan one day to change career and be a winemaker.

Wine likes? It’s easier to say what I don’t like as I have a catholic palate. Sauvignon Blanc from NZ I find hard work; anything over 14.5% is increasingly challenging as I crossed the threshold into middle age a few years back, and I find Chilean Merlot very confected, generally.

I love reds, reasonably dry, in particular Rioja - a superb region for excellent wine at a good price point in my view; Bordeaux partcularly Left Bank; Italian reds from almost anywhere but including Barolo, Barbera and and Chianti Classico; Northern and Southern Rhone and much of the Languedoc. In the New World, I love NZ Pinot, and cooler region reds from Australia like Margaret River.

For whites, I prefer dry but not too dry - a Macon Chardonnay, rather than a Chablis, for example; and I love aromatic whites like Viognier and Moschofilero.

Much depends on what I’m eating; I love pairing wine with food and confess to having far too many bottles at home, so I always have something suitable whatever we’re eating.

I think the Wine Society collection is superb - I’ve only been a member for a couple of years - but it’s great value.

At the moment I’m on holiday in Greece and in a few days will be visiting Naoussa, and experiencing the magnificent Xinomavro grape… I think Greek wine is under-rated, with Nemea producing some superb reds, and excellent whites such as Malvasia from Monemvasia.

I think that’s enough from me - hardly a short introduction but, as I’m sure many of you will agree, once you start talking about wine, it’s hard to stop!

Best wishes to you all and I look forward to many interesting conversations.

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

Welcome to the community, @ScottC! :grinning:
Quite intrigued about the pet mole… Can you elaborate??

Welcome @ScottC - I am relatively new to the Community, about a month now, but it has become quite addictive already. I have learnt quite a bit and everyone has been very friendly and extremely helpful. I think you will enjoy getting involved. I am also intrigued by your pet mole!

Welcome Scott! Where in SE London are you based? I’m in Forest Hill (SE23) so good to get to know my ‘neighbours’ :slight_smile:

The Alexandra Cottages in Penge or Beckenham depending on whether you talk in current money or old parish boundaries…

Hi Steven. The Mole is actually a soft toy rather than a living breathing mole, and he has become a mascot of ours. He comes with us on holiday and has been photographed at many of the great classical sites of Europe as well as many wineries. .

I would LOVE to see some of these photos! :smile:

Thanks god for that!