01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Hello! :) Introduce yourself

introductions
welcome

Hi Terri - I may have beaten you to it for ‘first member’ status but I won’t fight over it! Any tips on WSET Level 3 - I’m starting mine in February.

It was legendary even when I lived there and that would have been in the late '80s. I was even in their darts team for a while (bearing in mind there’s barely enough room to throw a dart in there).

There is a thread on WSET qualifications and various members experiences from level 2 through to diploma, May be helpful @AndrewM.

WSET Level 2 - Advice sought please

Hi,

No fighting here! :0)

The best advice I would give about WSET3 is not to underestimate just how much extra time you will need to put into it. There’s an incredible amount to learn and you’re going to want to get maps of all the regions to be looking at.

Also make sure you use their tasting Lexicon on EVERY bottle you open at home - the descriptors - well they get descriptive!! I had people in my group smelling ripened canteloupe (although really???!) although fortunately that’s not on the approved list ha ha.

Overall though- incredibly worthwhile course, loved it.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Cantaloupe melon :wink:

Thanks Terri - that’s helpful.

I’m Bill.

I started drinking wine seriously in 1979 or thereabouts. It was all very exciting then. The local supermarket sold Concord wine, I think from my home town of Kingston on Thames. Oddbins and independent wine merchants were the best bet.

A lot of wine has passed under the bridge since then but it is like looking for the holy grail, with the added complication that as soon as you think you are close, the vintage changes.

Various restaurants had amazing wine lists and one must mention Food for Thought here in Cheltenham, and Croque en Bouche (in Malvern) deserve special mentions.

Favourite grape: Pinot Noir

Hope to find/establish a wine tasting group here in Cheltenham.

Cheers.

Hello all,

A newbie or rather a serial lurker previously snaffling up advice and tips wherever I find them.

I’m a relatively new wine collector, starting with Rhone EP 2014. I like all that I like, mostly a red drinker and not biased by region or history although I have mostly Rhone red due to the good QPR.

I travel extensively with work (mostly Mexico at the moment) so get the benefit of new discoveries, and often drinking on expenses!

Cheers

matt

Welcome @Matt_B, quite a friendly bunch here and everyone always willing to share a discovery or two.
How lucky you get to travel to Mexico for work. Hopefully it’s not just Mexico city and you get to venture further afield. Here is a thread from last year with a fair bit of chat about Mexican wines you might find interesting. :smile:
Hola! Mexico or Bust

Hi All

I’m Keith, based in East Lothian near Edinburgh and have been a TWS member since 2010 (not sure why I left it so long). I’m a big fan of Spain - mature traditional Rioja but also Galicia is my go to for whites and mencia (I would love to have snaggged more Envinate Lousas before it sold out). As for many folk I got into wine in early 90s through new world/Oddbins moving to Southern Rhone/Bordeaux before branching out through membership of TWS and also joining a certain UK wine forum which has a few mutual members over here. That forum has regular offlines in Edinburgh/Glasgow and is very generous and friendly, so if you do find yourself North of the Border and want some wine/food action please shout and we will try to organise something.

Things I’m buying at the moment are white rioja - why no Tondonia blanco at TWS for ages! (of course it is in high demand and there is not much to go around), Galician whites, NW Chardonnay, Ribera del Duero, Chinon reds, South Africa (red and white) and bits of Bordeaux and grower Champagne.

Cheers

Keith

Wellcome Keith.

Second your thoughts on Tondonia blanco (and Gravonia come to think of it)! It would be good to see some mature white rioja at the WS.

Indeed. I managed to snag two bottles of 2005 Gravonia when it made a brief appearance on the website last October. One was marvellous the other was dead. The society guarantee was most welcome however the money did not replace the feeling of disappointment

It’s not aged but the cvne monopole clasico is very good and should age well

Welcome! Another one living north of the border here. A little farther north, though, just past Inverness.

Thanks Mike. You are well serviced by the Society not charging additional fees for Highland delivery unlike many couriers. And there is a woodwinters in Inverness is there not

Yes but not very impressed with their selection. Very limited and, as I recall, very burgundy oriented which I am not! However TWS is great and, as you say, no surcharge for Highland delivery.

Hello there!

I followed my dad’s footsteps joining the wine society about 10 years ago when I was working on Benbecula and realised quite how limited the choice in MacLennan’s supermarket was. Me and my wine collection are now based in a remote (6 miles from my nearest neighbours) cottage on the Morvern peninsula. I’m trained as an engineer and an architect and currently doing a PhD in Edinburgh so I do head down to the bright lights fairly often.

I’m very fond of Rioja and Reisling but happy to try anything (well, apart from Sauvignon Blanc). Having spent a fair bit of time in Seville & Marseille, I’m also very partial to a wee glass of ice-cold Manzanilla or Rose.

Apart from drinking wine and fretting about my PhD I spend my time wrestling with broken down machinery, gardening annd messing around in boats.

Thanks

Welcome, Sally. I appreciate the paucity of the Hebridean wine offering - half of my family is from Ness on Lewis. Access to top notch wine is a little easier living less than 7 miles from The Society … oh, and working here every day! :wink:

Riesling, Rioja & Manzanilla - yum! You’ll find plenty in those veins here, and much more besides!

Ha! “anything other than Sauvignon Blanc”…
Maybe you should join in with the group tasting in March!

Hello everyone,

Not sure I’m doing this correctly and where this might end up but here goes !

I’m Mark and live in Watford, not a million miles from TWS HQ. Jobwise, somewhere between employment and retirement. Slacking essentially.

After lurking for awhile I thought I should finally break cover to talk ‘guff’ about wine with like minded people. My friends in the real world just don’t take the subject seriously enough, bless 'em.

Damascene moment came c.1986 after a trip to Sainsburys, with bottles of St-Joseph and a Rheingau Riesling Kab . An enduring affair, it seems, as both are still very much go to wines.

The wine cupboard indicates the Rhone, Beaujolais, Piedmont, Alsace and Germany as the main areas of interest. In lieu of Burgundy, new world pinots and chardonnays are also well represented.

Blind spots, there are some real biggies. For differing reasons, Champagne, Bordeaux and a whole continent in South America being pre-eminent.

Otherwise, I like modern music and cycling ( actively and passively ). I’m always looking forward to cycling’s three week grand tours and the food and wine matching opportunities they bring !

Mark