01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Help me with your suggestions of Wine Stars of Tomorrow

OK, I’ll bite and maybe throw a few new things into the mix.

What will be the “next big thing”? As @p_clough says, there is a difference between the wines appreciated by wine lovers and those that are successful in the MASS market.

Do you know who the second largest grape growing country, and (at least) the 6th largest wine producer in the world is? Any guesses?

China!

I see a time, not too far in the future, where the economies of scale (in grape production, but also all the ancillary costs of production and bottling) mean that the best value wine on the shelf will be from China. Big chains will be happy to sell this and to take the money from large brands keen to promote these new products to “break into key markets”.

This might also be the case at the higher end, though it will probably take longer there.

In response to the above, I also think that large producers in Europe will have to fight on a more level playing field with large ‘regional’ producers like “South Australia” and “Western Cape” as well as the new Chinese production, and therefore the response will be to take more advantage of ‘Vin d’Europe’ classifications to create multi-national blends with a lot more wine being sourced from Eastern Europe and the Balkans as well as the large volume producers in France, Italy and Spain.

The results might therefore be that there will be more investment in those countries, and the best parcels will then also get more attention, and we will again see a resurgence of quality wines for wine lovers from Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania etc.

Cheers!

@cerebus - you read my mind like a book! However, to make a tasting interesting I’m willing to throw in a geeky wine - if I like it :slight_smile: (I don’t want to a tasting of the equivalents of Piat d’Or etc )

PS: A Riesling revival has been the next big thing since I’ve been into wine. And I’ve been into wine a very long time :slight_smile:

Wow – so many great suggestions, thank you all so much.

Will the tasting budget run to English fizz?? (why didn’t I think of English wines?)

Keep 'em coming.

I think Austrian wine may well be the next big thing.

Gruner Veltliner could already be there and I think that Blaufränkisch may not be too far behind.

So true, on one hand I would like to see a revival, on the other I don’t as the price remains so good for the quality you get, just being greedy :smile:

The inclusion of Chile as the likely front runner in the near future is the fact they are about to overtake Australia for imports into this country in a couple of years, they have the best and most diverse growing areas of any country and the labour costs are low, plus they are moving more and more into premium wines and are planting more varieties like Pais which they wouldlike alongside Carmenere to be associated with Chile.

Peter do we qualify for some long service award regards drinking wine and supporting the industry …

I agree and think this is the key to future mass-market wines (and thereby fashionable wines). There has to be an economic driver first, like retailer margin or currency favourability, and then this coupled with sufficient area-under-vine to meet a mass market demand. If this drives low-cost entry wines for a new country into a consumer’s sight, then I suspect this bit…

is the natural evolution as consumers look to trade up as tastes and disposable income develop, and local winemakers feel the benefit of increased sales.

@laura Good pick, but a difficult one, because although ‘natural’ wines are getting a lot of publicity (even tho’ no one agrees exactly what natural means) I’ve not tasted any I’d want to taste again.

Maybe cover this category with a quevri wine ( as that’s also a coming trend) , but ditto as regards taste…

Can you recommend a ‘natural’ wine I can show at a tasting without people complaining the wine is ‘off’?

Re Apothic (yuk) I had a glass of Barefoot Merlot in a pub yesterday and it was so sweet. Tasted like a sweet wine.

I like Shiraz and I love fizz – the big trouble for me with fizzy red wines is you can’t see the bubble rise up the glass and you get what looks like a scummy line around the top from the bursting bubbles.

I have had very good experiences with half a case of the 2016 vintage of this:

Perhaps @robert_mcintosh can design an ‘old boozers’ badge for us :slight_smile:

Hello! Yes indeed, it’s a tricky one. I think Musar is technically ‘natural’ - it’s very minimal-intervention with only the minimum of sulphur included:

We also do one no-sulphur wine at the moment, but I must admit I haven’t tried it. I’d be inclined to trust it would be good, though, because the buyers hold so strongly to the principle of only buying wines they believe in and there’s no way they’d list a bottle of wine just to satisfy a ‘trend’ if they didn’t think it was brilliant:

Have you got time to buy a bottle and try it before you show it at the tasting? :smiley: As per The Society’s Promise: If, for any reason, you haven’t enjoyed a wine we want to hear about it and will happily offer a credit, a replacement or a refund. So you’re on fairly safe ground. :slight_smile:

What about orange wine? Falls into the natural movement… Sort of. It’s been around for centuries, at least in its Georgian form. We enjoyed Tblvino Qvevri from M&S recently- real chimera of a wine!
But will it catch on as the ‘wine of tomorrow’…? I doubt it somehow.

Barefoot! The things we put ourselves through in the interests of research. Never mind a badge, you deserve a medal “for valour”.

Thanks @laura for these helpful suggestions.

To be fair tho’, I don’t know a single winemaker who would ever add more than the minimal sulpur required.

It has no added sulphur, which is not the same thing as no sulphur. Although, according to the wines factsheet, sulphur content is very low.
|total sulphur authorised |160 mg/l|
|actual total sulphur |3 mg/l|
|actual free sulphur |2 mg/l|

Oh, yes. I will buy and taste each wine before making my final choice for the tasting, so I will buy the Radford Dale. South African Shiraz. RSA Shiraz was suggested earlier in this thread so that’s two birds withone stone :slight_smile:

Nice one, glad I could help! :smiley:

The good points you made in your reply have highlighted how difficult it is to ‘define’ a natural wine (something I think would really help them become more widely accepted/enjoyed) but I guess as low as you can find in terms of added sulphur/minimal intervention would give a fair idea of where the trend is headed. :slight_smile:

Me too… I mentioned qvevri wine earlier in this thread.
I had the M&S 2012 Tbilvino Rkatsiteli Qvevris in 2015 and tho’ I like the variety Rkatsitelli I really did not like this orange wine, my partner wouldn’t even finish her glass.

I don’t think I have the courage to include this at my tasting

It certainly is a bit of a gamble, and an acquired taste. I quite liked it for its sherry-like oxidized flavours. It’s a good food wine, but I agree with you - perhaps a bit too risky for your tasting, and highly unlikely to become a wine of tomorrow. Although I’m sure someone, somewhere said that the future is Orange… :wink:

actually we had an interesting chat about this a qhile back:

Thanks to all that suggested wines. My tasting is tonight and I thought you would be interested in the wines I’ve bought for the tasting

What will we be drinking in the 2020s?

1. English Sparkling Wines?
Camel Valley ‘Classic Cuvee’ Brut 2013, Cornwall
12.5% abv M&S (¹/3 Pinot Noir,¹/3 Pinot Meunier,¹/3 Chardonnay)

2. Picpoul?
Les Vignerons de Florensac 2017, Picpoul de Pinet AP
12.5% abv M&S

3. Gruner Veltliner?
Weingut Bründlmayer ‘Society’s Exhibition’ 2017, Kamptal DAC
12.5% abv TWS

4. Chenin Blanc?
David & Nadia 2016 WO Swartland
12.5% abv Vincisive

5. ‘Natural’ Wines?
Aroa Bodegas ‘Le Naturel’ 2017, DO Navarra
14% abv Majestic (Garnacha and other varieties)

6. Chinese Wines?
Changyu ‘Noble Dragon’ Cabernet Gernischt 2013, Yantai
12% abv Sainsburys (Cabernet Gernischt and some Cabernet Sauvignon)

7. Tempranillo?
Mac Forbes ‘Blind Spot’ 2016, MacLaren Vale
14.5% abv TWS

8. Cinsaut?
Domain des Tourelles ‘Vielles Vignes’ 2015, Bekaa Valley
14.5% abv TWS

9. Carignan?
Undarraga VIGNO ‘Old Vines Dry Farmed’ 2013, DO Maule Valley
12.5% abv TWS (Carignan with small amounts of Cinsaut & Grenache)

It is probably unfair to judge ‘stars of tomorrow’ today, because inevitably most will be young, from young vines, and possibly from inexperienced wine makers. The TWS Undarraga stood out as the only one with some complexity, enough fruit and structure to last, and reasonable value. Dme des Tourelles was nice enough, with some fruit. Mac Forbes Blind spot Tempranillo (apparently no longer listed?) had a good nose, but more of Cab. Sauv than Tempranillo, and a rather odd after taste, vegetal/metallic. The Exhibition Gruner Veltliner was, depending on how polite you want to be, bland or delicate; rather short.
It looks as if it will not be bad news if some of the large plantings of vines in China start to come over: the Chinese Noble Dragon was slightly simple and jammy, but good fruit, and probably the second best of the night, at least for me. I didn’t like the over-oaky style of the Swartland Chenin Blanc (pity some of the oak couldn’t have gone into the Blind Spot), and the much too yeasty style of the Camel Valley. The Picpoul was fresh, good fruit, lemon. The Navarre ‘natural’ wine was probably much too young to be ready, but maybe promising for the future.