01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

How 'ethical' is your eating?

Yes, readily available.

There is an excellent wet fish shop on Shamrock Quay in Southampton. And it also has a weekly stall at the fresh food market on the University’s site which is 10 mins walk from our house. Good quality and a French fishmonger with very good filleting skills.

Nice article by Stephen Bush, whose weekly column is more likely to be a perceptive and well-informed take on the Labour Party’s internal wranglings than about food, but this time he shares his experience of how getting stuck into the nitty gritty of the kitchen raised his awareness of food provenance and, consequently, the wider environment.

While I agree that your approach is entirely logical and supportable, it may be too detailed for many of us to work through.
Reducing food miles, eating seasonal, eating local, reducing food waste, reducing processed foods and reducing meat are probably the simplest few to keep at front of mind. However, if extensively raised NZ lamb still has less embedded CO2 when it reaches my Tesco, I’m happy to take it (in small amounts).

I’m struggling to buy into the arguments in that article. Although arable agriculture does disrupt the ‘natural’ landscape (as do many human activities - this is a problem associated with overpopulation), vast areas of arable agriculture grows crops for animal feed. To eat meat we need to grow more food than if we ate solely plant-based. From a sustainability perspective, eating animals is a very inefficient way of getting our protein/calories. Soya bean plantations (the vast majority of which is grown for animal feed) is the leading cause of deforestation in the Amazon.

Yes, no doubt worms will be killed in the course of arable agriculture, however more worms will be killed if we eat meat (based on the need to grow more crops for animal feed). Further to that, regarding suffering, I also doubt that the nervous system of a worm is as developed as a cow.

As much as we might like to argue otherwise (as we often do (the majority of us), to support our dietary decisions), eating meat is not ethical. Admittedly, there are ethical issues with some plant-based foods (related to the well-being of workers), however rearing animals, with all the associated processes and practices can never be ethical. How can it be? With products available which are healthier and have lower environmental impacts, we simply cannot justify eating meat. The only argument for eating meat is habit and taste/texture. With the variety of foods available to us today I just can’t make that argument stack up.

The problem with the don’t eat meat campaign is much of the data is flawed, not unusual for many eco projects, for every reason not to do something it comes with a caveat, whether it is the ridiculous no coal energy production and the billions spent on subsiding wind farms and Drax wood pellet power stations or the conveniently overlooked fact that one blast from Mt Etna is more than all the wordls cattle emissions.
No way would I get into an argument on the subject as the sides are polarised and the 'green side does contain a lot of obsessed activists to whom no facts are admissable, but anyone projecting a no meat way forward has to look at the history of the world ourselves and what the real or assumed damage is, in all cases it is very far from clear cut and much of the thinking behind rhis si from a western perspective, a very small bubble in the world at large.

none of this information is finite but then none of the information the other way is either, just two of dozens of articles and papers that contradict the vegan approach.

Cant claim my eating is ethical, but after placing food in mouth, mouth stays shut and I cannot be heard at the next table.