01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

I wish The Society stocked

wishlist

I have read this thread with interest and although I have nothing specific to add as a ‘request’, I think it’s a healthy exercise to see what else this community’s members are interested in. I feel sure that the buying team will read it (after @Laura suggests they do :wink:) and perhaps it may confirm some assumptions they had or make for thought provoking reading. Either way, there are only so many buyers and so little time to visit even more wineries; surely we don’t need any more temptations?! :grinning:

For me I’m missing some mid priced £40-£50 right bank Bordeaux. Either chateau Laroze at £30 odd or Premier cru classes at £75+ with nothing in between. Purely subjective of course.

+1 on the aged Bordeaux.

Yes please, some Badenhorst would be fun too!

Oh yes! I’m with you on that one. He makes some wonderful, characterful wines! :+1:

AA Badenhorst on TWS list would be lovely.

They dabbled with some Envinate earlier this year too, which was a) lovely and b) sold out pretty quickly so I hope that encourages them to stock some more.

Glad you agree, I had the pleasure of meeting the man himself last year - I’ll say he was as characterful as his wines!

Clos de Gat Chardonnay, Judean Hills, Israel. www.closdegat.com/

That’s an excellent choice, @JosK! The Chardonnay is a winner, but their Syrah is also splendid! Great winery to visit, too.

Shame there are no wines from Israel on the list. Wines from the Judean Hills in particular are truly flavoursome and interesting.

HouseofTownend stock them, and luckily they are on my commute route to work.

They do turn up from time to time, i have a case of the 2005 red Tondonia reserva in my reserves. Would love to see more, especially the whites.

More vintages of this would be good!

As a vanilla freak without a great deal of money I very often find I can’t afford to spend my way out of what is fashionable… and what is fashionable is not vanilla.

I adore the flavours found in rich white Burgundies; Meursault, St Aubin and other golden beauties. These are expensive, however, and very obviously the society cannot supply them in my usual hunting ground of £7-£10. The society’s white Burgundy (and several of the other white burgundies in the £10-£20 range) are smashing wines but they’re not heavy enough and have only a little oak influence or none; good, but not always what I’m looking for, though often what I settle for. The same often goes for Californians, although some are still made in a richer style - First Press Napa Chardonnay is delicious - but at £17 it remains outside my comfort zone, as do those white Burgundies.

Looking for smooth, buttery vanilla flavoured chardonnay in the sub-£10 region has not been a happy experience. At these prices the wines are either undrinkable (appalling liquids that bears no relation to the tasting notes (I’m looking at you, Lascar), and which the society ought not to stock in my opinion) or follow the present fashion for freshness and “bold”, “striking”, “zippy” etc. acidity which at this level usually means grotesquely sharp and unbalanced wines that are a world away from the mellow softness chardonnay can achieve elsewhere. From the tasting notes (which seem to have changed now) I think perhaps the buyers expected Wither Hills chardonnay to fill this slot - but it is a totally inadequate performer, poor at what it actually does and what it does is not what I want.
Basically, if you want inexpensive chardonnay from the society you have no choice but to go with “fruity” at least, and probably “clean” and “fresh” as well. Oh yes, and “vibrant”, “bright” and “crisp” (crisp?! isn’t that something the sauvignon blanc drinkers talk about?). No doubt this festival of fashionability makes a lot of people very happy, but it isn’t for me. Every one of the many chardonnays in this price range are new style, fresh green apple, lemon and all things trendy. Not a one bakes its apple flavours or swaps out the lemon for some mellow pudding spices.

De Morgenzon DMZ chardonnay has come close in previous vintages, and there are other good wines below £10 (the mighty Biferno; the delicious Pegoes), so it doesn’t seem as though it would be impossible for the society to source something rich and creamy at the lower end.

What I really want is an old-fashioned, unapologetic, unctuous, creamy chardonnay that doesn’t require spending more than a tenner and which doesn’t make any concessions to “freshness”. There are several expensive wines like this, so it would be nice if the society were to stock a mock Meursault or crypto Californian butter-beast.

I am sure you know, but just to point out it is now £12 per bottle if you buy two cases… Still more than £10, and also buying 24 bottles of the same wine is heavy…

Thanks! I did splash out on a couple of cases of that, and a case of Pegoes, in the special offer. An amazing reduction that sucked me in. It would be nice if there was something at that price or a little lower for adding to mixed cases on an ad hoc basis though… As well as a somewhat less total and relentless following of fashion at the lower end of the list.

Oh, that sounds very interesting. Does it fit the bill?

Not really. It’s delicious, to my palate, but probably quite a divider of opinion. It’s a long, long way from white Burgundy and doesn’t really taste as though it’s got much chardonnay in it at all. It’s much more reminiscent of a viognier. It’s rich but without the refinement of chardonnay, a very strongly flavoured wine with lots of tropical fruit. Many people would find it overdone, too big, too powerful, without perhaps reaching a neat conclusion at the end of the glass. To my mind it is stunning at this price, very complex, interesting and different. It feels full in the mouth and isn’t at all sharp. It’s the sort of thing that gives me faith in sub-£10 wines and makes me much less tolerant of so much of the dross that’s offered at that price point. It’s not the wine I’m looking for as regards my original post but it has been a delightful discovery along the way.

Exactly, I had a bottle of this last night, I drank half a glass, there was a taste that I could not put my finger on, but it was not pleasant to my palate. However my wife thought it was very nice. Each to their own.

The 7 Fountains wine from Tenerife,which the Society have featured previously was good and a wine I’d like to see back, as well as the Turkish wines they used to stock.

Other than that I’d also love to see more wines from the Gredos mountains and also I think Rose is generally underrepresented.

More Greek wines please and why not something Chinese, a region that is just exploding

Have you tried the Bogle Chardonnay?

It’s a rather creamy example, which actually offers some complexity and interest. I had it a while ago and liked it very much, and then again - yesterday, at my WSET course. It was the clear winner compared to a Chardonnay from Adelaide Hills, which was definitely of the more restrained style you’re not big on.

Worth a punt if you haven’t tried it yet. To my mind, Rustenberg level entry Chardonnay is another excellent example. Occasionally Waitrose reduce them to around £10 a bottle, which is vgfm!

Edit: another one which might tick your vanilla box is Chardonnay from Limoux. The Taste the Difference one from Sainsbury’s is another good example for around a tenner.