01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

I wish The Society stocked

wishlist

Interesting! I love how palates differ!.. It’s one of my favourite under £10 WS white. Might have to open one tonight, now you mentioned it! :heart_eyes:

Lucky fella, great purchasing :+1: I think I must keep missing it - so end up going to vinissimus.co.uk (attached below). They have a broad range and bottle sizes to go after - i have just ordered a case of the Gravonia as this goes very quickly on their site.

One wine I’ve not tried of theirs is their Rose, they sell it on here but only as part of a Tondonia 2005 box.

Overall though I can vouch for this supplier, great selection of Spanish, and Italian vintages wine with a great service. I probably use them about 3 times a year.

https://www.vinissimus.co.uk/en/resultados_buscador.html?query=Tondonia

Well, where to start?!

Many of the areas I’m most interested in are quite poorly served by TWS, unfortunately. To name a few:

Italy: Friuli, Alto Adige (these areas produce most of Italy’s top whites and are badly overlooked), Sicily (esp outside Etna - there is an abundance of good whites and fresh reds), in general better-quality wines from grapes like Montepulciano, Aglianico, Verdicchio (inc Lugana) where there is excellent wine in the £10-20 category and usually TWS only has one or two cheapies available.
(Predictably, Piemonte and Tuscany are much better served. Which of course shows the limitations of us Brits, yeah, I know…)

Spain: NW Spain… reds from Galicia and Bierzo, and the new wave of mountain Garnachas from the centre, Sumoll… and maybe above all the Canaries (red and white)

Greece: Pretty much everything except for Xinomavro and Assyrtiko (great as these two grapes are, and I do appreciate how they may have opened up the market for other grapes). Crete in particular is a great source of lovely whites.

Portugal: TWS do pretty well, but of course there is scope for improvement.

Lebanon: would be nice to see more from Domaine des Tourelles in particular.

I don’t drink that much from other places, but I’d like to see more Austrian reds, and in general more reds on the fresh and refreshing side of the spectrum.

I find it difficult to fault the wines TWS list but would echo the sentiments of others when it comes to Etna and Santorini ( the 12 year old Vinsanto from Argyros in particular ).

However, my favourite sweet fortified wines on the planet are almost unobtainable in the UK, Namely Australian liqueur muscat and topaque at the ‘Rare and Grand’ level. Maybe because they are no longer undervalued in their home market where there seems to be a lot more demand and appreciation for these exceptional wines than there was twenty years ago.

I guess price is the main reason as a half bottle of a Grand labelling costs upwards of 60AUD and a Rare 120AUD these days ( and often considerably more ) on the home market.

The Rare bottlings are now beyond my scope but I would shell out for a Grand ( or two ) should TWS ever stock one.

More Oregon and Washington State please…(I’m thinking Walla Walla in particular)

@suiko has probably hit the nail on the head. TWS is a business in the end and has to supply what the majority of it’s customers want. It’s that majorities limitations that restrict what TWS can profitably provide. It’s a shame that wine choices are getting more entranced (present company excepted of course). People expect a certain wine and price point from a particular region and that’s it. Unfortunately I feel those of us who are willing to try the rarer regions and the better wines from certain regions are (expect for a few one offs) going to be disappointed. We can always dream though!

Or (at least until the disaster strikes :unamused:) buy from Vinissimus!

St Laurent. We bought some of this a few years ago, and it was delicious. I’d love to explore the variety more.

Also, reds from Priorat.

Yes, I have tried the Bogle chardonnay :slight_smile: It’s a lovely wine but not as full on as the First Press Napa if memory serves. Perhaps I just need to accept that wines such as these are not available in the sub-£10 bracket…

I guess it’s down to the cost of maturing wines for longer in oak- and the cost associated with it. So you are likely to get wines that perhaps had a few months in oak (or had been seasoned with oak staves), which will invariably mean less vanilla and less intensity of the oak flavours overall.

Also Nino Negri far from the most interesting producer :grinning:

I hear what you’re saying but equally it would be great to try and centralise ones buying in order to allow storage in one place rather than odds and sods here and there.

Condrieu (outside of EP). And f they could get some Christophe Blanc I would not have to import it.

Ahhh, you’ve succumbed!

Yes though my wallet is going to regret this :slightly_smiling_face:

How about FEWER than 182 types of Bordeaux?

This is downright ridiculous - it indicates a buying policy with no guidelines - it’s a blanket barriage. I would be interested in hearing TWS justification.

It might just indicate member preferences? I guess it depends if having more of one thing necessarily means less of another. Would certainly be interested in learning more about these kind of buying decisions though!

It is an interesting one. I don’t see that much of the stuff being drunk when community members share what they are drinking. Bordeaux produces more wine in the ‘seriously expensive’ category than other fine wine region; historically Brits glugged it by the gallon over roast red meat at Sunday lunch, but times and tastes have changed. Presumably there is still a vibrant market for this stuff, otherwise TWS wouldn’t sell 182 of them, I just don’t know anyone who drinks quality claret in significant quantities.

I think in fact there are “only” 122 actually from Bordeaux. The others are Bordeaux blends from S Africa, Bordeaux grapes, etc. Still a fair number, but not so enormous.

122 still seems way too many, when I think of the (almost endless) list of grapes and regions where TWS offers very little beyond the cheapest available.

The prominence of Bordeaux (and consequently its varietals elsewhere) is simply down to historical accident - and then good marketing.