01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Introducing the Mentors

mentors

I suspect the word “mentor” is more towards encouraging new joiners, rather than for anything associated with old hands, @lapin_rouge. (To be honest, a few months is probably all it takes to get to be an old hand anyway). At least, that’s what I draw from @robert_mcintosh’s original post. (And of course that other suggestion of keeping the subjects ticking over).

My final soft criticism is the whole notion of the green badge. It is a uniform, a badge - and that rings all the warning bells.

Are you thinking of something Orwellian?

None of the mentors are TWS staff though - all 5 are members

Definition…

What is the role of a mentor?
“The knowledge, advice, and resources a mentor shares depend on the format and goals of a specific mentoring relationship. A mentor may share with a mentee (or protege) information about his or her own career path, as well as provide guidance, motivation, emotional support, and role modeling”

this could be interesting !

I think we can establish that mentor is not a great word as it gets a lot of the focus, when this is a largely technical role.

… or we could be reading a little too much into it! :slight_smile:

The basic definition is: an experienced and trusted adviser

However, if someone wants to suggest an alternative, I’d be happy to consider it.

Note, this level is called “Leader” in the system by default but that I DID feel was inappropriate in the circumstances

Can’t help but feel we’re analysing this a bit too much.

Mentor, guru, message board tech champion, experienced and trusted advisor, wine geek squadron leader. Whatever. It’s all good. Go for it.

And don’t forget Yoda…

We could have Star Wars themed badges. So the mentors are Yoda. Newbies are Padawans. Regular badge holders get reclassified as Jedi Knights.

Society staff are the Jedi Council

Anyone misbehaving gets badged as a Stormtrooper and when on a final warning they get a Darth Vader badge before expulsion.