01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Lighter mid-priced reds

I’d have to second that. Excellent PN at a very fair price.

Good call on the South Africans - tasted both of them at the recent tasting. The Dirt Track is very ‘smashable’, as Duncan Savage aptly put it. The Geronimo is cool, spicy and classy.

Mrs A has selected the following:

Rosso di Montalcino, Canalicchio di Sopra 2016

£19.50

Xinomavro Jeunes Vignes, Thymiopoulos 2018

£10.95

Etna Rosso Fondo Filara Nicosia 2016

£12.50

Chinon ‘Le Temps des Cerises’, Domaine de la Noblaie 2018

£10.95

Moric Hausmarke Red 2017

£14.95

Spätburgunder Markgräflerland, Martin Wassmer 2016

£14.50

Thanks again guys, will try to remember to report back (if I get to try them!)

Can we recommend less than £10 as well? :wink:

This is just a lovely easy drinking lighter sort of red.

Or for a general set of lighter but good reds, some of which will fall into your price range, some of the Cru Beaujolais might fit the bill.

May I add an off the wall suggestion, this Nebbiolo from Ciabot berton. It light and floral, with just a touch of the Nebbiolo taste. I said out load, burgundy on tasting it. Beautiful, a real La Morra feel to it, which is where the fruit is grown.
Luckily for me I brought some from the winery this morning. It around the same price before a small quantity discount.
Yes it’s a lovely Barolo trip.

Another light(ish) red worth trying is Mondeuse. Both of these are great:

There’s something quite wild and spicy about this grape which I really like! :+1:

I haven’t tried the 2017 but normally this is very good for the price (particularly for Burgundy).

She has chosen… wisely :+1:t2:

We started opening these this weekend so thought I’d report back.

The Xinomavro Jeunes Vignes, Thymiopoulos 2018 was just as good as I expected. Is this the best value red on the site? My note:

Really great - lovely crunchy raspberry fruit, moving into black cherry on the finish, with juicy red apple. A touch of sweetness keeps it all in balance. Tannins are fine and fuzzy. Immensely drinkable, and sophisticated in a completely unpretentious fashion.

This one Moric Hausmarke Red 2017 wasn’t quite as much of a smash hit, but still went down really well

Blend of blaufränkisch, zweigelt and pinot noir. Rustic, but in an attractive way, with tangy fruit. Has some of the refreshing food-friendly quality of a heavier-style Beaujolais.

I thought this posting was about reds £10-£20.

Just tried the Chinon ‘Le Temps des Cerises’, Domaine de la Noblaie 2018 .

Mrs A was a definite fan, loving the generous fruit, but I wasn’t a fan - I think I’ve still only liked one Cabernet Franc, and that was Cheval Blanc (!). Just a little too red fruited and bitter for me.

A bottle of this will find its way on to my next order. Used to drink this variety, in quite an everyday version when I was teaching in Prague. Others have mentioned their liking for it in its slightly more familiar form as St Laurent in Austria.

Well, I guess we can’t like all varietals. Having said that - the Le Temps des Cerises is, to my mind (speaking as a Cab Franc fan here), an example meant to be drunk young for its generous fruit and slight floral notes. Complexity isn’t its thing.

For more refined examples (leaving Cheval Blanc aside for a moment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) I would really recommend wines from Couly Dutheil (especially their Clos de L’Echo bottling, which are meant for the long haul), Domaine Philippe Alliet (especially the ‘Vieilles Vignes’ - again, a long-haul wine with finesse and structure, and using only ambient yeast) and Domaine Amirault from Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil (we loved the 2013 Le Malgagnes).

None of these are stocked by TWS, unfortunately - and may still not appeal to you, but certainly worth a punt in my opinion :slight_smile:

Though I’m a huge fan of light reds in general (Mencía, Frappato, Schioppettino, maybe the odd Austrian, among others) It’s been years since I drank a Cab Franc - too green for me in general, though I have had good ones over the years (Bernard Baudry maybe my fave). Liked Amirault too, and Raffault, not so keen on Alliet, but then he does make more of a Bordeaux style, and if there’s one red grape I really don’t like it’s the dreaded Cabernet Sauvignon!

No longer made, but Jimenez Landi’s bajondillo was a gorgeous light red, and ridiculously good value for money. Can we have some more of his wines in stock please, Wine Society?

Thanks for the further recommendations - they were meant to be wines to my wife’s taste more than mine, so you succeeded. We have some Baudry and Domaine Grosbois Chinon to try as well (picked them up in the Loire this summer).

Ah! that’s good :grin: :+1:

Dreaded by you maybe! :wink:

Drank the Wassmer Spatburgunder this evening. My brief note:

Pleasant although slightly nervy Pinot-esque nose. Juicy, crunchy red fruits are attractive on the palate but the finish is a little tart and abrupt. A nice daily drinker.

Would buy again, but didn’t like as much as the Moric Hausmarke or the Thymiopoulos JV.

A very nice write-up from Jancis for this wine:

See: https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/luna-beberide-m-mencia-2018-bierzo

:slight_smile: