01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

LIVE** Guerrilla tasting #4: Bordeaux blend - France Vs South Africa. 28 November 2019 **

I was a bit surprised by the lack of tannin and the fresh acidity

I also got that, bit porty at the end

I think it’s gotten a little less savoury since opening.

But yes also boozy at the back

Liking the palate but yeah, bit of a kick at the finish there, I agree.

I was wondering about this — from our end it now smells quite sweet-fruit dominant — there’s earthiness there for sure, but it’s not what’s leaping out

better on the palate than I expected

Lacks concentration, quite watery at first, then, grippy powdery tannins, fresh acidity, spice, pleasantly ripe berry and plum fruit.

I think sweet on the nose but not a massive amount more. Our bottle definitely light on both tannin and acidity

a bit of cherry drops

I’m not enjoying it as much as I was hoping to if I’m honest. Maybe a bit too subtle or too savoury for me, I’m not sure, but it doesn’t have something I want. Fruit? Complexity?

We’re finding it a bit ‘meh’ overall. Nothing wrong here, just a bit anonymous.

I’d call this a decent luncheon claret…

Agree on the tannins. Definitely feels hotter than 14% suggests. I think the palate has more fruit than the nose.

Not doing much for us either

reminds me a bit of the Alsace PN from the previous TWS taste

Yes my previous summaries on admittedly poorer vintages were: “Smooth easy drinking but unexciting.” and “Inoffensive but unexciting.”

On the plus side, dinner is nearly ready

Probably terribly poor form to say but actually it’s much more tasty if you take a gulp than a sip…

Anyone nibbling some cheese? Bit of food helps.