01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Loire Growers Walkaround Tasting - 17 July 2018 - London

tasting
loire

There is a Loire walkaround tasting on 17 July that I have signed up to and was wondering if there is anyone else from here attending. I will try and report back during after the event in any case.

Not sure if there is already an insight to the list of growers in attendance @Tim_S

The tasting booklet will be up on the website on Thursday and emailed to all members attending.

There will be 18 tables, 14 producers and 45 wines on show on the night. If anyone wants a preview before then, send me your email by message and I’ll send through the draft copy.

I’ll be there in a pouring capacity :blush:

I’ll be there in a tasting capacity!

Much looking forward to it.!

@Tim_S I checked, but the pdf is not yet available I can see however that two masterclasses have been added.,. I am really interested in the Cabernet Franc one, wish it could start 30 minutes later.

The tech issues we had yesterday meant it hasn’t been added but I’m about to see if I can get the email out to all the members attending now.

Great evening in a splendid setting! Thanks to Tim, Jo, and all the tastings team for a wonderful evening. Having toured the Loire on a couple of occasions, I was interested to try some less familiar wines as well as some favourites. I was booked into Jo’s masterclass on SB so left those until after the class. One revelation to me was Cheverny, Domaine du Salvador 2017 (LO13871) which has a fab flowery bouquet and is great value for money. Emmanuel Delaille and his son were really proud of their product and rightly so.
I loved Savennieres,‘La Perite Roche’ 2016 (LO14401) with its distinctly apple nose and brought back memories of a visit to the area some years ago.
Jo’s class was an eye-opener when it came to the range of styles of SB Loire wines…but it is a long river! She included a couple of wines which are not yet released by TWS as they are normally given some bottle age before going on sale. Look out for Sancerre Cuvée Silex, Domaine Serge Laloue 2016 (LO13791) when it is released - it has a lovely bouquet with a hint off fennel. Also not yet released is Pouilly Fume, Chateau de Tracy 2015 (LO13601) which is a ‘serious’ SB with a bit of bottle age which will go well with food.
After Jo’s masterclass I returned to the main tasting room to compare those from the class with some of the other SB wines.

I did concentrate on SB wines - it would be impossible to try all 44 wines on show but there were a whole range of whites, rose, reds and sparklers - thanks to all the TWS staff and the growers for a fabulous evening.

I agree the event was great, I also did the SB Masterclass, which was eye opening.

My favourite of the night was their other wine, Cheverny Heritiere 2015 Domaine du Salvard - it has a hint of oak and I found it was much better slightly warmer in the Masterclass than chilled at the table.

I also very much liked the 3 Chenin Blancs presented by Domaine Cady, one dry and two sweet(er) wines.

The Chinons of Domaine Serge et Bruno Sourdais (3 vintages presented in 3 different formats of the Chinon ‘Le Logis de la Bouchardière’) were also great as I noted in another topic.

Just a couple of other wines before I forget…

Pouilly-sur-Loire Vieilles Vignes, Domaine de Riaux 2017 - a 100% Chasselas, it is very easy drinking fresh and ligh, quite a delightful summer wine in my opinion :+1::+1:

Also the Cave Saint-Verny wines, would recommend all three:

Corent Côtes d’Auvergne, Saint-Verny 2017 - A rose that is just perfect without the bitter edge a lot of roses have, crunchy red fruit.:+1:
Gamay, Puy de Dôme, Cave Saint-Verny 2017 - A Gamay that is subtle, not in your face. Like you always wanted to find in a Beaujolais, but never really did. Also proves that young Gamay does not need to be like Beaujolais Nouveau… :+1::+1::+1:
Pinot Noir Puy de Dôme, Cave Saint-Verny 2016 - This is Chile PN price, but more Bourgogne in style, not austere however as Bourgogne at this price would be. :+1:

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to say gday to you and @DavidTheChemist but really glad to hear you both enjoyed the event.

We’ve had a good debrief about the event and felt that whilst there are always plenty of things to improve and learn from, it was a pretty successful tasting.

I really rate this wine! Had it last year and new vintage just arrived ! It’s a lovely smooth Rosé with a more going on then you would imagine .