01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread [10th to 13th February 2020]

midweek-drinks

A little Silvaner tonight, delicious with slightly bitter back palate, which I believe is a varietal characteristic. Gets the thumbs up from me.

Enjoyed this surprising SA wine last night…just kept going back for more…bright, citrusy, didn’t find it peachy and great with food.

I had one of these last week. I thought the juiciness was overwhelming to start with. Once aired however, it gained some structure and turned into something much more balanced. As mentioned, it was really good the next day after having spent the night in the fridge.
PS. I’ve only just noticed that the Clos du Caillou wines weren’t in the paper EP list. There’s another added to the long list of outsiders…

Tonight it is a Pinot Noir from Bodega Patritti in the province of Neuquén, which is part of the wider region called Patagonia. It is called Primogénito Sangre Azul 2016 (Sangre Azul = Blue blood). The wine is fermented with skin contact for 12 days of which 20% is whole clusters. The wine then spends 15 months in second use in 225L french barrels.

My notes were: Clear and bright. Red centre, light red rim. Clean nose. Medium intensity. Red fruits. Strawberry. Vanilla. Sophisticated nose. In the mouth this is light but with a Burgundian feel. Dry. Good acidity. Refined combination of fruit and oak. Balanced. Seductive and silky. Medium finish. My Argentine friend did not like the lack of body in the wine but, as a fan of Pinot Noir, I really enjoyed this wine.

As a footnote, Janis Robinson is visiting Argentina at the moment.

Really nice - medium dry, refreshing but rounded. Very good.

Opened this yesterday:

£15. It’d had four summers in the garage and I wanted to make sure it hadn’t quietly turned to dust. I needn’t have worried - this is fabulous. It took a couple of swirls to come out of its cage, but it’s fragrant, complex, silky and all in all a reminder that I need more Chianti Classico in my life :wine_glass:

Despite my best intentions mine never got that far. I think you’re spot on with your comments. For sure, it would have been interesting to try it the next day to see how it might have developed but I was too greedy.

If you’re putting an order together and looking for a bottle of white to try, I can absolutely recommend this:

I found it far too easy to drink yesterday evening. Very judicious use of oak to round out the palate a bit, but otherwise it was fresh and gently citrussy (as well as savoury and herby as per the tasting note). Delicious wine for the price.

Well if a number of dinner parties I attended last year are anything to go by one possible answer is cheese. The Sanchez Romate palo cortado that TWS stocks went remarkably well with virtually any cheese that was thrown at it.