01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread [18 to 21 November 2019]

midweek-drinks

Given that the Romans didn’t venture past Hadrian’s Wall for very long, and even allowing for a slightly warmer climate then, I think that in this case it’s your imagination!

The wine referred to as Scottish further up the thread is probably made from berries of some kind or elderflower. There are a couple of quite pleasant ones, but I wouldn’t cross the road for them…

Made it. Tasted it. Hated it. Probably why they were so half hearted in their attempts to occupy Scotland …,

It really was made from grapes @MarkC! That’s why it was so bad. Elderberry wine is very delicious!

Didn’t know that any would ripen sufficiently save in a large greenhouse!

At my allotments someone grows a vine over an arch, and last summer (2018) was just about warm enough for them to get some rather anaemic looking small grapes on it. Wouldn’t have fancied any wine from it though…

Was this the stuff that your husband tried?

Sounds like he’s giving up!!

Can’t have been that vineyard as it didn’t open until 2011 according to the article. I shall investigate and report back if I find out more. Maybe they were also bought in (when I was little the local Italian community used to bring over grapes by the lorry load from Italy to make their home brew) but my recollection is that the wine was made from grapes grown in Scotland.

Loganberries and raspberries, all primary fruit, simple and tasty. Good midweek wine, serving it with baked feta and pittas.

Opened a cheap Lidl Julienas 2017 tonight. It’s okay, quite drinkable but it’s really all fruit and little or no structure. Which is fine and probably all you can ask for at that sort of price point but I do prefer a bit more structure to my reds. Which is probably why I was so impressed with some of the quality cru Beaujolais I’ve tried recently compared with my prior experience of more ‘typical’ Beaujolais. Although this is theoretically cru I’d say it’s more comparable to those ‘typical’ Beaujolais.

Nice enough but not rocking my boat.

It was ok for the £3.99 I paid, think it will be better in the summer.

Yes I’d definitely agree with both of your points but, sadly, I didn’t get it at quite such a cheap deal. Looks like you got it at 50% off :frowning:

I’m pretty sure there’s a vineyard just south of Aberdeen … off to google it …I used to pass it regularly.
Edit : it’s called Dalrossach and he grows “Baltic” grape varieties . Grows them in poly tunnels and trenches ! Interesting .

Following the rather disappointing Ch. Coufran 2001 on which I reported elsewhere yesterday, tonight’s test was the following wine which we really enjoyed. Blackcurrants on the nose, great depth of colour, great balance on the palate with a long finish with bags of fruit. Shame it sold out just after I bought a “test” bottle.

Wine arrived today, but not the goose… will console myself with some of this…

Where did the goose end up?

Not bad as consolation prizes go :smile:

Look forward to the report - I received the 2010 of this in my recent reserves withdrawal with a view to opening it sometime over the Thanksgiving/Christmas period.

I gather 2011s are drinking well now - had a Dujac MSD a couple of weeks ago that was very nice, and my withdrawal also have some Grivot Vosne 2011 in it :tongue:

Fedex hopefully have it still…

Now that is wine making on the margins

I’m assuming this is the pioneer you’re referring to.

I still don’t believe you can grow decent grapes in southern England, let alone Scotland :laughing:

This tonight

Rather lovely. Balance between fruit, oak influence and acidity is spot on. We had Puttanesca tonight so not really suited (I just fancied some Chardonnay), though it certainly doesn’t need food.

Definitely going to watch out for future vintages very good value at £13.50.

Those Aberdeenshire vines look pretty unhappy.

I don’t think I’d be rushing to purchase any :rofl: