01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Most recent live concert?

music

Just booked to see Rival Sons at The Roundouse in early February - not seen them before but seem to be a proper rock band

Friend really rates them…not quite my thing but good at what they do !

try The Temperance Movement too

Back to …isn’t it a small world !

i’ve been fortunate to see them all over UK and Europe and always a great show…but nothing like your home crowd

Lots of opportunities to see them next year…get those tickets booked…message me where you are going

Not normally a band I go for but got into the Great Western Valkyrie album. Thanks for the recommendation - not heard of a The Temperance Movement - I will check them out on Tidal later

Not words you would expect to read in this community very often :wink:

I waiting to see who would comment…they are a great band anyway

My most recent live concert was The Unthanks in Brighton Dome. It was an incredible experience - their voices are haunting, and their tunes pierce the heart… I was weeping for most of the gig, especially when they sang The Testimony of Patience Kershaw, a song which is utter perfection. I challenge you to listen to it and not burst into tears.

This shows what an old fart I’ve become, though, as this ‘recent’ gig was already 3 years ago!!.. :blush:

Just posting as a heads-up really - highlights from Bowie’s legendary headline slot at Glastonbury 2000 are being shown for the first time on BBC4 tonight at 10pm. It was absolutely one of the best gigs I’ve ever seen and I can’t wait to see bits of it again. It’s getting a proper full release in multiple formats at the end of November! :grinning:

My favourite (I only know a few) of The Unthanks’ is “What Can a Song Do to You?”

Mine is their cover of Robert Wyatt’s “Sea Song” - beautiful.

"You look different every time you come
From the foam-crested brine
It’s your skin shining softly in the moonlight
Partly fish, partly porpoise, partly baby sperm whale
Am I yours? Are you mine to play with?
Joking apart, when you’re drunk you’re terrific when you’re drunk
I like you mostly late at night you’re quite alright

But I can’t understand the different you in the morning
When it’s time to play at being human for a while, please smile
You’ll be different in the Spring, I know
You’re a seasonal beast like the starfish that drift in with the tide, with the tide
So until your blood runs to meet the next full moon
You’re madness fits in nicely with my own, with my own
Your lunacy fits neatly with my own, my very own"

Thumbs up for their version from me too! :+1::+1:
They ended the Brighton gig with an awesome version of King Crimson’s Starless. It was like floating in amniotic fluid again…!

Having grown up on punk, I find it quite hard to find live music with the same excitement, energy and attitude these days.

So was delighted to be blown away by two magnificent performances at two gigs a couple of weeks ago - as part of the Newcastle Free Jazz Festival.

The first by Peter Brontzmans, Full Blast (aptly named), the second by Chris Corsano and Joe McPhee.

The brave amongst you can check out past recordings on YouTube.

Oh wow. What an incredible song. Takes you spiralling out into the cosmos before bringing you back home again, courtesy of possibly the greatest rhythm section in rock :+1:

Tonight at the Cambridge Corn Exchange with a band of merry Scots. Most entertaining it was too…

Have you got your tickets for any of next years gigs yet ?

I’m off to see h in Oxford just before xmas

Only just seen this thread… Did you catch the support act? Was it Jack Lukeman? He is one of the few supports who can empty the bar and stop the chatter. He has good pipes, a great setlist, works the crowd brilliantly and makes his 20-30 minutes fly by. I first saw him at a Marc Almond gig last year and was mightily impressed.

Name of national treasure withheld to avoid opprobrium.

No, but thank you for reminding me to have a look at their schedule! I’ll have to see what I can do :+1:

I hope he does a follow up to Ice Cream Genius one day - I loved that album. Love the vibe at his solos gigs as well.

He’s done a few bits and bobs with other people but agree…cracking album !

Dualers … at the end of October. They don’t often venture north of the Thames, let alone in Gods own county. Nothing else booked now until Wilko next spring.

Quick visit to Bath at the beginning of the month. I always check what’s on at Moles, caught We are Parkas & Raised by Hounds. A couple of local bands who put on a great performance.
Next up is Skindred in Brighton, should be a goodun :+1: