01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Most recent live concert?

music

I saw Anna Calvi at The Roundhouse last month. She was magnetically magnificent, a truly wonderful performer, I really couldn’t take my eyes off her. Very good sound, fantastic lighting design, a 90 minute show with real dynamics and no longeurs. Her two backing musicians weren’t shabby either.

She closed with a visceral cover of Suicide’s Ghost Rider, woah !

Woah indeed - had to look that up on Youtube! Had no idea she covered ‘Ghost Rider’ - an astonishing song, and really enjoyed what she did with it. Must have been great to take that all in at the Roundhouse, too.

Thanks also to @danchaq for the heads up on Branford Marsalis Quartet: liked what I heard over the weekend.

Been a bit of a lean year so far for gigs by my usual standards, but business is starting to pick up. I managed to get to Oxford a couple of weeks ago to see Norwegian power-pop heroes Beezewax, who were on fantastic form, then Sleaford Mods’ album launch at the 100 Club. This month I’m hoping to catch Sumac (a very brutal and inventive metal band, with an increasing emphasis on improv and strange time signatures - hey, it keeps me entertained!) at the Underworld and Dälek (magnificent experimental hip hop) at the Lexington. Glad this thread’s still going strong!

Anyone going to see A Certain Ratio when they play London in May?

Thanks for posting the video Martin, I haven’t seen that before, fabulous. Such an astonishingly commanding performer. A special one !

Hadn’t been to The Roundhouse for many a moon, lovely venue, acoustics very good despite the volume, just the right size. Dreadful drink though.

Sumac sound interesting. Have seen bands at both venues, nice and intimate. Have a great time !

Pleasure (and solidarity re the Roundhouse beverage options)! Sumac are very intense and absolutely not for everyone, but they’re fantastic musicians. Either way, good for blowing away the cobwebs…

@NW3Andre - Tears For Fears are amazing and, to my embarrassment, I have to confess I didn’t realise A Certain Ratio were still with us! Been a long time since I listened, will have to go down another Youtube rabbit hole.