01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

No Assyrtiko - discuss

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:, it’s a Colombia Valley Washington wine and is off dry. I definitely would not be paying this price for it however :scream:

Ooo, sounds like I might have an expensive visit. Have got a couple of bottles of another CdP, Piedlong, from the same stable and vintage. The opportunity to compare the two wines would probably prove irresistible.

OMG! That’s a stupid price!

On our recent trip to Copenhagen I was surprised to see it served in virtually every bar we went to! I brought some home with me. Turns out the winemaker had a Danish girlfriend, and moved to Denmark for a while. But it’s the only Danish connection I could find…

The Lyrarakis wine is decent, like everything they make. Obviously doesn’t have the intensely mineral terroir signature that probably only Santorini can give. There’s a lot of assyrtiko planted in North Greece too, so probably others will appear.

Thanks for tonight’s inspiration @szaki1974 :wink:

I also have two bottles of Assyrtiko in the rack from T-Oinos from the island of Tinos. These will have to wait till September now. Was also reminded by the email that @Drblues mentioned, but stayed strong…

It looks like harvest has begun in Santorini. Quite an interesting looking vineyard, pic just shared by Vassaltis.

Don’t they grow them like that because of the strong winds?

Yes, but also (and perhaps even more so) to retain the little moisture available. It hardly ever rains, after all. They have a similar technique on Lanzarote.

I have one bottle left from my last visit to costco. It is a really good wine. I need to replenish.

https://www.costco.co.uk/c/Estate-Argyros-Assyrtiko-Santorini-2016-6-x-75cl/p/256146

Argyros also have a new premium Assyrtiko called Cuvee Monsignori. I haven’t yet tried that but if anyone does, please let us know what you think.

Must be back breaking picking the grapes!

Really enjoying the Lyrarakis Viola Assyrtiko mentioned above. Add my name to the ‘assyrtiko please’ list!

I popped into Costco over the weekend and they didn’t have the normal Argyros Estate Assyrtiko but had the new premium Cuvee Monsignori at a ridiculous price. I think it was about £18 per bottle and it’s about £26 or £27 everywhere else.

It’s not available on the costco website, only the normal Estate wine is available there but worth checking out in store if anyone wants to grab a bottle or two.

Brilliant, thanks for the heads up , I’ll pick it up when I’m back home :wink:

Malagousia by Domaine Geravassillou is certainly worth trying. It hasn’t the bracing qualities of Santorini Assyrtiko but is richer and broader. Lovely wine if you like that style. Quite readily available.

This just in.

That wine was £15 two years ago :frowning:

I know the standard Hatzidakis Assyrtiko used to be about that. Not sure this is that same wine re-packaged, or a new cuvee from the new generation.

I remember buying halves of Santorini Vinsanto for a tenner about twenty years ago, but recently prices have shot up!

Not sure, but I reckon it’s the same wine!

I think it is too.

But wine-searcher says ave UK ex-vat prices increased from £18 (Jan 2017) to £22 (Aug 2019). You’d need to go back to Jan 2015 for £12 ex-vat, which is around £15 retail.