01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Overenthusiastic buying; problem or blessing?

Wednesday-afternoon-and-the-kids-are-doing-my-nut is increasingly my go-to occasion for opening a posh bottle :expressionless:

Yeah, it’s true.

However, I find it a struggle to open a really good bottle if it’s just for me (and as a sociopath I spend most of my evenings on my own :smiley:). Know I should, but I guess much of the pleasure is sharing it with someone who appreciates such things. And there is, in fact, another issue - namely that most people don’t (appreciate such things)!

Quote of the thread :rofl:

I very much agree. I also buy mostly in the £8 - £30 bracket and the average of the wines I have laid down in my cellar is £23. This community has pointed me to some great wines within this general price bracket, and I get a lot of satisfaction when drinking them that they are likely to be much better value for money than the wines of £60+ which seem to be the norm in tastings as reported in Decanter and the likes. What I have learned is that if I want to try a wine, I should just buy one bottle. If I like it I buy another 6. Quite a few I try turn out disappointing, either by taste or by my perception of value for money. I think perceived good value for money is what gives me the most enjoyment.

This is almost exactly my approach. I rarely buy more than one bottle of a wine for a first tasting. About the only time I break this rule is when I’m pretty certain I will like it and I know stocks are so low I’ll not get another shot. Even then I’m generally prepared to wait for the next vintage to come along!

For me, the main issue with buying too much en primeur is that my tastes have changed over time. 10 years ago, I was really only buying claret this way, but I find that, now that it’s ready, I’d usually rather be drinking pinot noir. It’s a nice problem to have, I suppose, but I wish I’d diversified a bit more when I first started out!

This is my experience too. However I have also found the pendulum of my taste swinging back with time. The main consideration for me is ageworthyness - though as I get older it is mine rather than the Wine’s that is more concerning :grinning:

As We’re just driving back for Piedmont with a boot full(well nearly) I confirm I buy too much. But I may have saved a lot too.
Every winery I visited was just for a couple of bottles which become a case. :pensive:

Great thread. Been trying to reply all day, but work keeps getting in the way.

It has definitely been an excited puppy / scattergun approach this year, but like @tom, I like all the wine, dependent on mood / food / company. Being able to choose the right wine for the situation is important to me (even if the situation is that my kids seem determined to harsh my zen!)

My average bottle price is creeping up. I try to seek out wines that interest me between £10-15, but my ‘treat’ bottles have increased both in quantity and quality.

However, the biggest increase in spending is down to taking up the EP offers. Just 1 6 pack of red Bordeaux was in my name before 2019. This has multiplied somewhat.

I have been influenced by this forum - more focus on particular producers and vintages and more breadth in terms of regions and countries (very much looking forward to my first Rapsani, which arrives on Friday). I see this only as a positive, I just need to be a bit more disciplined in what I buy.

As another positive, I gave up smoking after 20 years to justify the increased spending (to me and my wife!); something no amount of public health awareness campaign / matrimonial pestering / tax hikes had managed to succeed in.

So, The Community, how do you answer to the charges of helping me to drink more interesting and varied wine and give up smoking?

My vice is buying piano music that is way beyond my ability to play. Maybe many years hence. But for now, the scores are stacked in the music cabinet. I suppose it’s a bit like buying EP!

This summer has taught me a lesson. There has recently been a thread about hot weather affecting wines. Especially if one doesn’t have a cellar. Before buying more, I’m running down my stock.

No reason to worry about that, not unless you live in a flat in London, anyway. I’ve had hundreds of bottles at coolish room temperature for over 15 years, and have yet to find a damaged or excessively mature wine. Project Fear maybe? :slight_smile:

Phew! In winding-down my supply, I haven’t come across any that have been ruined by the hot summer. So I’m grateful for the assurance of others!

So interesting to read everyones thoughts and comments - it certainly seems most of us have similar experiences / problems

My buying and drinking habits have changed drastically over the last two years - I made a career change for the benefit of my health (too many years of planes and hotels meant I wasn’t where I wanted to be both physically and mentally) and my family (I was away too much and valuable family time was taken up with work) and part of the ensuing health changes was a decision to drink less.

Having had a (spiral) cellar for 10 years at this point meant that we had circa 650 bottles "on-hand’ …ignoring wines squirrelled away at merchants (and yes my wife is aware of every single one of them!! (ish :wink:) - a new drinking regime of 3 to 4 bottles max per week (between me and my wife) meant we had lots of wine and from some careful planning we had bottles coming into maturity windows over the next 2 to 20 years

I therefore made the decision to only buy certain wines over the next few years - to keep the cellar healthy over the foreseeable future. We holiday in France several times a year so have continued to make direct purchases from our favourites in Champagne, Burgundy, Loire, Bordeaux and Roussillon, as well as a few purchases from merchants here in the UK

Sadly, little events such as M&S, Costco & Co-op wine clearances and a local Auction have made the plan very hard to stick to…the overenthusiastic buying! I’m seeing the recent M&S port/sherry/Madeira purchases as separate from wine :wink:

Im probably balancing the 200 bottles out with 200 in - but the mix isn’t changing like I would have hoped…that’s the next area to address and will probably mean a few more TWS orders

I’ve been buying unsustainably over the last year but my rationale is that I’m investing for the future; according to Cellartracker we drink about 12-13 bottles a month (the majority of these with friends at the weekend or at offlines rather than just us on the sofa) but I’ve been buying about 60 bottles a month! Will be interesting to see if I can easily restrain myself once I feel adequately prepared for the future.

Having spent time preparing a spreadsheet tracking styles and drinking windows, the majority won’t be ready until after 2024 so I definitely feel OK to continue buying for the time being… plus there are so many styles to cover (e.g. just bought 12 Charles Heidsieck NV as ‘house Champagne’ and 12 halves of Suduiraut as useful to have on hand!).

I’m stocking up for retirement and Brexit.

It will not be easy… but doable (not cold turkey though).

60 bottles a month… I can only applaud you!

Deeper pockets than me! :joy:

Will be quite the come-down

Was resisting any purchases until a friend alerted me to the bid for wine feature auction today