01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Pictures of OWC's

Presumably you like the Ch Ampelia. I was impressed when I tried it at the Brighton tasting (though @Inbar and partner were less so) but haven’t opened my '12 bottle yet.

Yeah, I think it’s good claret for the money, well-structured but tasty too. I enjoyed the 2012 as well, and now that Pauillac’s out of stock, I’m rearranging my basket to accommodate another bottle or two of this one…!

Ah! Yes, I remember. I think I liked its nose more than its taste, but Martin didn’t get on with it at all. To be fair, the (charming!) producer did tell us that the wine needs at least a couple hours decanting to really open up, so it’s likely that we didn’t taste it in all its glory.

Yes I remember being particularly impressed by his welcoming and informative presentation. Mind you despite hearing rumours of stuffy Bordeaux producers I found almost all of them very friendly and welcoming.

@Herbster if you haven’t already I strongly recommend you try his Chateau Grand Corbin-Despagne Saint-Emilion (same producer).

More on topic, I think I’ll have to wait for my first EP order to arrive to get my first OWC. Outside of EP I rarely my more than three bottles of any one wine in any one order. I like the variety.

The marketing mind-trick of the wooden case is working its magic on me: my 2014 Sénéjac arrived at the same time as the Ampélia but in a branded cardboard case. Guess which one I’m more excited about opening…?

Haven’t tried it yet but I’ll keep an eye out!

The Grand Corbin-Despagne is Francois Despagne’s ‘ancestral’ estate but he was really excited and enthusiastic about his ‘new venture’ into Castillon. He was also a bit scathing on the TWS drinking windows. Saying that the ST E wines he was showing which TWS had as “now to…” actually wanted at least another 3 and 7 years each for the '11 and '15 respectively that we tasted.

Sadly not. Cardboard.

However some Rioja does:-

Bijou case (3 bottles) of Tondonia Rosado