01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Planting herbs

gardening

I am in the opposite corner of Scotland from Mike, and we get plenty of rain…my main rosemary bush is in the middle of a rockery which is centred round an old tree stump, and drainage good which probably helps. Nearly all winters it’s fine, but in 2010 it died after many days consecutive sub zero. We lost escallonia and bay that year too. Potatoes and Coke froze solid in our garage…

That’s a very good point about the roots.

It’s worth mentioning that the RHS did a trial of loads of rosemary varieties that finished last year. For the plants that were growing in the ground, the difference in hardiness was striking, though of course they were all being grown in similar soil/drainage etc. They was also a similar trial with all the varieties in pots, and by no means did all varieties withstand getting their roots frozen.

The RHS usually write up the results of their trials in “The Garden” so it will be interesting to see their recommendations when they get written up - assuming I haven’t missed it already!

Not so much herbs but this weekend was allotment prep and seed planting party in our house!

my son’s school topic for after easter is “allotment”…so we planted seeds for pumpkin, sunflowers, leeks, courgette and sweet corn for him.

I planted some tomatoes (superset 100, Marmande, Alicante and money maker) as well as lettuce, kale and beetroot.

Have the cloches on warming the soil for a week, before I will plant carrots and parsnips out next weekend.

Need to finish the weeding before the onions go in …potoates chitting for a week too :slight_smile:

I have leeks and celeriac germinating here with seedlings coming through. Also a few tomatoes.

I don’t sow parsips, carrots, turnips, beetroot here until late April. Usually just too cool. Onions already in though, and shallot shoots now showing. First early potatoes went in last week, second earlies will go in next.

Well ahead of me !

shallots and garlic showing nicely - garlic went in over Christmas and shallots a few weeks back now

My garlic went in in November and is about a foot high now. Shallots in early Feb and survived the deluge of rain in Feb. Rhubarb is ready about two weeks earlier than usual.

wow - my garlic was about 2-3 inches but expect, with this good weather, for it to shoot up

We’ve had Rhubarb for a couple of weeks already…madness - first Rhubarb used to be at the start of the cricket season !

I put my garlic in last October The softneck is four or five inches up but the hardneck is only just beginning to appear.

Not often I find myself cheering something that Michael Gove says, but he’s just been on BBC saying that allotments are ok as form of exercise (socially distancing clearly). Golf isn’t!