01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Reading is not just for Christmas

books

Mrs Joyce probably just said she had read it :wink:

Well I have started lets see if I finish, signed Magnus Magnusson

Erm… Absoutely not! :grimacing:
But I love the opaqueness of ‘I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that’, so I use it all the time. Hope I don’t have to pay the Loaf copyright fees…! :thinking:

Ha! Yes! As did his secretary- and Mr Lean Writing- Samuel Beckett, I’m sure!

Ha. Sorry to drag OT but I do find myself saying ‘2 out of 3 ain’t bad’ quite often (in context). Also not an ML fan.

Re books, currently loving In The Light Of What We Know by Zia Haider Rahman from a few years ago. Great writing, powerful stuff, possibly a bit pretentious but that’s ok with me.

I am going non-fiction on you all now. This is a short read, but I cannot recommend it more, it reminds me of Feynman:

And once you’ve enjoyed this one, then you will like this one even more (which is what I am reading now):

How’s this one? I am tempted to give it a try, having a 12 year old at home.

If you want to know more about the rise of post-truth and alternative facts, this one will bring you up to date. I finished it back in January in a couple of sittings.

Excellent read! I really enjoyed it! We covered some basic neuroscience during my counselling training, so not all of it was new to me - but some of her observations about the way the teenage brain is wired, and the way connections are being ‘pruned’ where they are not used were valuable. The experiments she describes are fascinating too!

I liked her empathy towards teenagers. They have such bad press, usually. Mine (16) is a delight, bar the occasional irrational behaviour…! :grinning:

The other day I picked her up from a party, and she proceeded to roll the window down and puke all over the side of the car. “You sort of expect these things will happen to me”, she said in a matter-of-fact way. I couldn’t argue with that assessment! :grimacing:

A moment of self-awareness and consideration of others, despite the drunken state, fair play to her :+1:

With children, I think there’s often an element of finally getting the adult we would like (and have put so much effort into over 18+ years), but with additional surprise elements that make them unique.
@Inbar I think your daughter was recognising the value of her upbringing at the same time as having an experimental ‘learning experience’.

I’m sure it’ll be fine - at least she came home with you!

I suspect you’re right. She’s quite sensible for a 16 year old.

Soon after said incident she remarked: “I don’t think you would have approved of the wine we drank, mum!”.
Another evening of Barefoot, then! :roll_eyes: