01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Slow Cooked Wonders

recipe

We have dedicated white and red wine-in-a-bag for cooking. There’s no way I ever want to use what I drink for cooking. Currently using a very nice bag of Argentinian Malbec from Tesco (actually quite a delicious wine), and a SA Chardonnay from M&S…
All this talk is making me hungry. But the emails won’t answer themselves (god knows why) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s quite a nice wine!

Use mine a lot. It is now over 20 years old and works well. Use it for cheaper cuts , but also for larger cuts. My butcher is very good as he will prepare by deboning, but not rolling. I also have a few vegetarian recipes for winter to produce stews…and dumplings!
Prefer not to put wine in the cooking, rather matching when I have the result. When I have added to the mix, I had excess liquid.

I thought you’d used that Burgundy when you first posted!! :astonished:

OMG… That would be a HORROR movie right there…

Yeah, too delicate for cooking

Many chefs advocate only using very good wine to cook (don’t cook with it if you wouldn’t choose to drink it). While I agree with that to some degree I think I’ll leave my (imaginary) DRC out of the next casserole…

I think there is no harm in putting the imaginary DRC in the casserole as long as the rest is not imaginary…

Seriously though I of course agree :wink:

I had some friends over on Thursday for my 6 year olds birthday. Seeing as its January I am in the “eat less meat” zone so I made a lentil chilli. I just sort of made it up as I went along but it turned out great so I thought I’d post it here as it was slow cooker made.

Lentil Chilli

1 large onion chopped
3-4 carrots diced
3 sticks of celery diced
1 red pepper chopped
4 garlic cloves
1 tin of black beans
1 small tin of sweetcorn
1 tin of red kidney beans
1.5 mugs of dried red lentils
Mild or Hot chilli powder to taste (I used hot)
half a TBSP of Cumin
Black pepper to taste
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 glass of red wine

Method

Sautee the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and red pepper in a pan until the onions become translucent
Chuck in a pre-heated slow cooker.
Add the lentils, black beans, red kidney beans, sweetcorn, spices and seasonings to the slow cooker along with the chopped tomatoes.
De-glaze the pan with the red wine and add to the slow cooker.

Cook for around 4 hours or so.

It was a fab chilli and everyone enjoyed it. Even my friend who had been given a meat and alcohol pass for the evening and was initially disappointed there would be no meat :sweat_smile:

This looks awesome! Stupid question but I’m guessing you cook it on ‘low’? Might try this next week… :slight_smile:

I think I cooked it on high :thinking:…as I only put it in around 1pm ish but it will cook on low, medium or high :wink:.

Love the recipes and it all looks very appetising, sadly we are on the road if EAT-Lancet have their way to a form of food police deciding on what you can have and how much, as with so many things today what would once be considered a joke no longer is, read and enjoy the videos…

Do you offer delivery of ready meals?

For the freezing cold day that’s in it, -4 here on the school run this morning, I’ve just got this Irish/Lamb stew in the slow cooker . Shout if you’d like the recipe :wink::+1::shamrock:!

Yes please, looks fab!

Irish Stew
3 Carrots
2-3 stalks of celery
1-2 onions chopped or quartered,
Lamb pieces, (lamb on the bone works well as it gives more flavour)
1 bunch of chives
1 bunch of flat leaf parsley,
black pepper
lamb stock (Can also add some stout if you like!)
Potatoes, as many or little as you like. Thye will help to thicken the stew so bear that in mind.

(Today I added 1 large leek, I also didn’t have any celery)

Method
Cook the onion, celery and carrots in a pan until the onion is soft and transfer to the pre-heated slow cooker.
Brown the lamb pieces before adding to the slow cooker and de-glaze the pan with the stock before adding that too.
Chop the potatoes in quarters and add along with half a bunch of chives and half a bunch of parsley.
(Keep the remainder for serving)
Cook on medium for around 5-6 hours or until the lamb has fallen off all the bones.
Remove these before serving and add the remainder of the fresh herbs and black pepper.