01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Summer Tastings & Events 2019

Oh you lucky lot!! … Newcastle’s sole offering this year is “If you like that, try this” Walkaround of 20 undisclosed wines …. honestly!!

No tutored tastings or dinners in my part of the world either (Lincoln/Nottingham/ Leicester). Just one walk around in Nottingham. Very disappointing…

Just catching up with this again, and see that there appears to be nothing at all in Glasgow/Edinburgh in Q4, on top of nothing in Q3! What’s going on?

The Glasgow Pinot Noir tasting seemed well attended and Edinburgh sold out. These were the last ones back in April.

I agree. It would be nice to see a few more events in Glasgow. The Pinot Noir evening was grand!

I have a ticket to the South Africa tasting too, would be lovely to dine with you guys afterwards

I’ll take that as an invitation Akos. Ticket for South America tasting booked. :grin:

We have one near us in Leeds (30 miles away) - the Spain grower’s tasting in York. All the others require time off work to get to and back. The cost of the train, accommodation and the ticket makes it cheaper just to buy wine for at home! Even in an airbnb it would be a £150 round trip at least!

I think it may just be easier to move to London. I would’ve loved to have gone to the South American tasting!

EDIT:
Quick tot up of locations in Q4
South 17
London 10
Midlands 2
North & Scotland (Everywhere north of Notts) 7

So 27 in the South, 9 Everywhere else.

If this is genuinely the distribution of TWS members then fair enough but if not then I’m sure I echo everyone who isn’t a southerner in saying “What is going on?”

I think I’ll create a topic… to see how many people, but I am definitely going.

South America… South Africa is already sold out…

Hi @Laura did you manage to get any data on the regional breakdown of members please?

Only one in Scotland for the whole of H2 2019.

Apart from anything else, it’s not exactly the way to expand your membership profile geographically…

I didn’t, sorry! It’s not something we can easily attain and although I did enquire I think it might take a while to put together, and things are pretty hectic with the launch of the new site! But it’s still very much on my list and I’ll chase it up for you. :smiley:

Just wanted to highlight we are actually in Scotland twice in Q4 - we’re taking the If You Like That, Try This tasting to Aberdeen and Glasgow in November! :smiley:

I do appreciate your frustrations - there’s a lot of members who’d like to come to tastings, but our Tastings team has until now been surprisingly small (only five staff covering the planning and hosting of our entire tastings programme across the UK! I honestly think they work miracles!) - but I’m pleased to say the team is currently recruiting a couple of new members and there’ll be more on that pretty soon. :slight_smile:

Until then, we’re continuing to reach as much of the UK as possible every year to give members a fair chance of attending a tasting.

I find it hard to believe that a database analysis by postcode can’t be done quite simply…accepting that there will be quite a lot of inactive members. Alternatively, the deliveries data can surely give a pretty good idea where sales are going geographically?

That’s a bit better, I could have sworn that the Glasgow date wasn’t in the Tastings calendar yesterday as I checked twice, and did think it was a bit odd that there was one solitary one in Aberdeen. However, two tastings for the same theme is still not a lot out of a total of well over fifty events in the second half of 2019.

If the geographic profile of members/sales doesn’t warrant any more then please tell us, but it seems that this information is still not available…

Thanks @laura, i really do appreciate that a small team servicing the entire country is a tough gig and certain practicalities have to be considered. How feasible is it to tie up with local reputable companies who would host on tws’s behalf? I’m thinking local wine educators or events companies who’d be able to establish a relationship with the society. I think at general walkrounds this would be possible.

That’s a good idea, or even ask members to ‘volunteer’ to help :wink:

Oops… perils of posting while drunk! Can’t make the South America one…

I will have to confirm how commercially sensitive the geographic profile is before I share it but we do use that information heavily when setting the tastings programme.

Whilst I hate to burst conspiracy theories, the ratio of events is actually weighted in favour of the North over the South when taking into account the geographic spread of active members.

Having said that sometimes circumstances such as last minute venue cancellations and personal mistakes mean some areas miss out in certain periods as happened with Scotland in Q2. The level of abuse that our venues coordinator and myself have copped over that would be enough to make an Australian cricketer blush so I apologise for that occurring and can assure you it won’t happen again.

We do currently work with some local wine educators but we are looking at how we can do this more effectively.

Also, as Laura said we are in the process of expanding the team as we will be significantly increasing the number of events we host ourselves in 2020 and beyond.

Were you at our event in Leeds last night? Ticket sales were a little disappointing, especially when compared to the response in Liverpool but the feedback this morning has been very positive.

Thanks @Tim_S no i wasn’t at the tdf tasting. I know it was a tutored tasting but 50+ quid for a small number of wines seemed a bit steep for me. (I’ve been a tight yorkshireman now for 10 years) With my partner I’d be looking at 100+ quid which we could use to get some belters (tws obvs :wink:)

Thanks for the heads up on the expansion. I guess everybody wants different things in different areas…i love the informal walkrounds but i know some prefer the more involved tastings.

With regards to the disproportionate number of events in the north, I’d certainly direct that to the point from @MarkC about widening your market geographically…is there a way to combine joining the society, going to a tasting and your first order in an attractive package? If we only ever look inwards and invite members this state will be in perpetuity and the wine society’s future will be less certain.

I travel 90 mins each way and spend £25 to look at heat maps and spreadsheets every day so I would argue that a 45 min train to Manchester that costs £20 return (or £7 if you take the slow trains) to taste 20+ amazing Champagnes is well worth the trip :slight_smile:

But you also get to learn from the amazing @EmmaB and @annaspooner and that is priceless.

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve used the chicken and egg argument when asking for more staff and that is just one of the reasons why we are looking to double the number of events we host over the next few years.

That is something I’m currently working on. As we often see in this community there are always different opinions and there are some justifiable question marks over whether that would be fair to all members so lets watch this space.