01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The "Christmas" word (2019)

christmas

Thanks

In the Northern Hemisphere christmas is near the shortest day. the darkest time of the year . It is a time to raise our spirits just before the days start getting longer and lighter. When Christianity came to Britain the early missionaries adopted the existing pagan festival to a christian one . So now in modern Britain most of us are celebrating the pagan festival and are only nominally christian or not . I am a christian but i still enjoy the making merry side as well though not to excess.
As a Christian and a Quaker i celebrate Christmas as the birth of the New Light the inner light of christ .

Have come up with provisional wine plan for the festive period. We are going away for five nights with my wife’s family, then at a friends’ house for NYE.

Cottage night 1 - easy wine for after the pub

2016 Azienda Agricola Gorgo di Roberto Bricolo Ripasso della Valpolicella

Cottage night 2 - to accompany fish casserole

2012 Maison Roche de Bellene Meursault 1er Cru Charmes
2014 Domaine Morey-Coffinet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets

Christmas Eve - to accompany shepherd’s pie

2006 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2013 Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto Toscana

Christmas Day

2006 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Millésimé Rosé
2006 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Les Parcelles
2011 Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée
2010 Domaine Rossignol Trapet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes
2007 Klein Constantia Vin de Constance

Boxing Day - leftovers

2017 Domaine Pierre Guillemot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Narbantons

Cottage spares

2016 François Raquillet Mercurey 1er Cru Les Naugues
2015 DuMOL Chardonnay Sonoma Coast

NYE - to accompany slow-cooked lamb

Jeroboam of Bollinger SC NV
2012 Giacomo Conterno Barbera d’Alba Cerretta
2001 Château Léoville Barton

Can I come? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I came across this song via friends on Facebook and thought it might strike a chord with some of the posts on this thread

It’s very deceptive and the lyrics are what makes it a great song wrapped up in a quite saccharine package.

I love Tim Minchin, he’s very talented.

I’m just adding some wines for my Christmas delivery and I 'm looking at some Californian chardonnays. I already have a few bottles of this:

I really like this wine so am looking for more west coast niceness but I haven’t tried any of the below:

opinions and suggestions welcome, thanks

Haven’t tried any of the list above but would also be interested in some value for money options in this style, which I think can be a bit of its weakness, despite it tasting very good. I tried Ramey for the first time last week and loved it. Paul Hobbs was also brilliant, Bon Climat is also good. I enjoy these styles but they are probably on the blow-out / expensive qpr side of things. Not quite the same, but Alheit Cartology is very good too. That one is stocked by the wine society (usually but currently out)

ABC all the way !

thats Au Bon Climat for thèse thinking I was deriding Chardonnay