01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Rhône Rangers

All these things are on the main list (or have been till recently) are they not? I’m sure I’ve seen the Rosine on there. In which case it’s just a “warning, low stock” sort of thing rather than a bin-end clearance.

I think that is exactly right. Not really an offer at all.

That was my guess. They just ran a report on wines with <n bottles remaining and published a link to it. Or something.

By the way - well, maybe people already know this - but there’s a trick to see how many bottles of a particular wine are left in stock: try adding 20 or 30 cases of it to your basket. If you only get, say, 31 bottles in your basket, then that’s (presumably) all they have left.

Well there are certainly some I’ve seen before and that are still on the main list, or at least findable just by a search on their name. However TWS claim in their email (a little naughtily I’d have said): “This exciting and eclectic selection of world-class wines, held in quantities too small to list elsewhere, is a must-view.”

I guess maybe this is true for some of them.

I started buying La Rosine in the 2015 EP offer, £65/6botts - £15 ish per bottle all in for something that should turn out to be a Cote Rotie lookalike. My Lezardes is just being finished and has been utterly gorgeous. Note, looking back to the 2010 Rhone EP offer, La Rosine was just £63/per 6 botts.
For those on a budget, and haven’t we all been there, my go to list includes
Coudoulet
Rosine
Lezardes
Mas de Libian
Chave Mon Coeur
Chave Offerus
Coursodon Olivaies
All made by terrific winemakers, and if you do 2 or 3 each year, exercise some patience and before you know it you’ll have the makings of a good, early drinking cellar which has a nice North/South spread about it. :smile:

There’s still 2013 available; not quite as good a year as 2015 but I believe it wasn’t as bad as Bordeaux that year.

I concur with those Collines Rhodaniennes wines. I also have been creating a nice vertical tasting collection from 2012.
This year was my first dip into the Chave Offerus white which should be coming over La Manche soon.

If you are desperate to get your hands on La Rosine 2015 and are prepared to venture beyond TWS then you can buy from Jereboams for £156 IB.

I do love the Chave St Joseph Offerus (red) but there’s two other St Josephs that I’ve had from TWS both at the same price mark as the Offerus but, I thought, a little better. Both from the same producer, Villard, but unfortunately neither available currently:

The Poivre et Sol I got 18 months ago and particularly liked but haven’t seen it since.

Does Villard just give different names to each vintage? It seems strange to have two different St Josephs at the same price?

I don’t know if you noticed, but the Society still has stock of the Ogier Rosine 2016 available at £70.
Jeb Dunnuck in his recent report gives the '16 a good write up with 89-91pts
J L-L 3.5* and also favourable comments.
Both tasters concede that it is marginally behind the '15, the upside drinking right out of the gate.

Hope this helps.

I didn’t realise CellarTracker did this. I think thats convinced me to install it on the phone.

The problem I find with cellar tracker from my very brief experiences with it, is that its subject to low volumes in terms of reviews. With Vivino, I feel more confident with the larger number of reviews (the law of large numbers etc). I am a little skeptical of critic reviews due to the immense scope for bias and incentives in place for those that do that for a living. That is not to say I would disregard completely their scores.

For example I have a case of the following:

128 reviews vs 0 for the vintage.

Perhaps it is the styles of wines I have been drinking? It can’t be just down to being the supermarket demographic :slight_smile: There’s 37839 reviews of Opus One in there. I haven’t seen that in the supermarket yet. That said, I do find Vivino incredibly useful in wine sections of supermarkets in other countries though. Avoids buying the odd dud.

Perhaps, the second most valuable aspect of Vivino, is the ease of use with which you can track your own drinking habits. It can sometimes reveal differences between what you think you like/tend towards style wise and what you actually like/tend towards. I find the same in the music space with Spotify etc. I may tell people I like ultra cool artist X, but in reality I spend all day listening to Baby Shark.

I think this area has the potential for further growth. Couple geospatial awareness with the app and it can start recommending 4+ wines in your area by restaurant / winery etc. Which could help in scenarios where you have to make a snap wine choice in a restaurant and don’t want to spend too long pouring over the list.

On the downside of Vivino, I think its e-commerce engine is a bit rubbish and the promoted wines are understandably optimised to maximise their affiliate revenue. This doesn’t detriment its value as a reference though.

It can also serve as a great store for observing wine drinking trends, price changes by region. Explore whether there is momentum effect with regional/winery price increases etc. It could also be used to determine what are great QPR wines. Wines that score highly given a set of style criteria, then order by price (this may be at odds with their promoted wine revenue stream).

Another down side, is that it has very poor coverage of whether a wine is ready to drink, which I see Cellar Tracker being a great tool for.

Bringing this comment back on thread. I think I dont know my Rhone wines very well. I like Cote-Rotie but am largely ignorant of the rest. I will buy some Exhibition Hermitage next WS order.

An oblique reference to wine and Rhone, whilst in the Hotel Montmirail I espied at breakfast a familiar countenance and went over to say hello, are you Toby…and realised I had no idea as to the name and the face, no I am not came the reply, I am from the wine society, oh dear, I apologised for interupting his breakfast and slunk away, it was of course the unmistakeable Marcel Orford-Williams .
My own recounting of the Rhone winery visits and tastings will follow, at a safe distance…

Well done!!
I am so bad with names and faces that people should come with name tags.
Hope you had a terrific time, at the very least you got a good story out of it!! lol

Bought a few bottles of the Society’s Exhibition Hermitage Blanc.
The Raspail-Ay 2015 has appeared this morning.
I have been waiting for it for months.
Shame that it is only in halves but beggars…!!
Got that as well.
If you have never tasted Raspail-Ay from a great vintage, you have a treat in store.
J L-L gave it 5 Stars and gave it a terrific write up.
For those who are fans, it will fly off the shelves!!
I am happy!!:smile:

Thanks for pointing this out, Taffy-on-Tour! This sounds very tempting and I would certainly have missed it. When would you start approaching this? In five years? Or even later?

The tasting note says now, I’ve ordered 6 halves for the next few months just to see where the wine is, in it’s development.
J L-L says 2020
Vinous and Jeb do not give a drinking window, so I surmise virtually ready to go.
I tried the 2014, it was very good but was still an infant.
Note, the 1990 drank like a train right out the gate and was stupendous.
So I stand astride the fence! :open_mouth:
This is where we should post an impression or tasting note to help members who have bought the same wine!

Thanks! I ordered a case to put in my reserves and will probably withdraw a couple of bottles later this year to see what it is like. Judging from the descriptions, however, it sounds like it is the ageing potential that makes the Raspail-Ay particularly remarkable.

Whilst watching the F1GP Qualifying yesterday, I do like to scan great restaurants around the worlds wine lists. I do this to see that their wine staff are serving to their customers and also get an idea as to what they are charging, given the “normal” X3 mark up. And more to the point as to what wines they consider are drinking very well.
One top New York establishment “The Modern” had the Chave Hermitage 2015 on their list, which really surprised me. And so did the price that they were charging!!

https://hub.binwise.com/restaurant/the-modern/list/the-modern-list2.pdf&locationid=415

Those are extraordinary markups and there is a lot of wine too young to be even remotely approachable. Bois de boursan from an iffy CNDP year at 115 dollars is incredible (the 2011 is £16 IB online) as is the prospect of choosing the tannic wall of a 2014 Allemand Cornas to go with your dinner!

Whilst the wine selection in some cases, astounded me; I do find it interesting at what some so called “professionals” are suggesting are drinkable.:open_mouth: