01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Rhône Rangers

Finished the last bottle at weekend…agree with J L-L @4*

I came across this today - the original ‘Rhone Ranger’, Randall Grahm in 1989, pioneer of the movement who moved into growing Rhone varieties and making Rhone-style wines in California after lack of success with Pinot

Wasn’t Ken Forrester also given that name when he grew Rhone varieties in SA Peter ?
or am I confused in my dotage…

Can’t say it rings a bell, John. I remember back in '80s Rhone Rangers sounded most original with its reference to Clayton Moore’s Lone Ranger, (see below) and they certainly were striking out in California where the rest of quality makers were intent on copying Bordeaux and Burgundy.

But it’s been used so often by writer since for all sorts of people, just like ‘Cape Crusaders’ get wheeled out when writing about Cape wines. Original first time but on the 100th repetition just groan invoking :slight_smile: .

Ken Forrester has, to my memory, always been linked to Chenin; he didn’t pioneer Rhone varieties in the Cape, and his first appearance in Platter was in 1997 with Chenin and Sauvignon Blanc made by Cathy Marshall.

The one and only Lone Ranger; though he was only on black and white telly…

Hi yo, Silver! Away!!

Who was that masked man…? :open_mouth:

(Insert expletive here) when did the half bottles of Mont Redon 2016 come in - and go.? Rhône is my most viewed section and I never saw it in time, which is annoying as I missed it when the bottles came out.
I miss a lot because I can’t afford it etc but this was very much a wine I would have bought regardless of my finances.

Damn.

I thought I have been monitoring half bottles very closely… but did not see this happen… same with the halves of the Burlotto 2014 Barolo. You snooze, you lose… sadly.

Same here. Came and went. Well below market. Yet again.

Also the Coudoulet 16 shown as out of stock, not seen before by me.

This! This is why we need the ability to flag wines for notification whenever they come in. It is, to me, the most fundamental thing that an online service like this should be able to provide.

[However for it to work the naming of wines needs to be more consistent. Sometimes hyphens are used sometimes not, same for accents and the order of Chateau/domain, grape, location are often shuffled. All of which would make automatic identification of wines difficult]

If the basic problem here is that the wines are over-subscribed, do notifications really help? They presumably increase the scramble if anything, and they probably can’t be made to arrive simultaneously anyway.

I say that having been somewhat annoyed on Saturday morning to have a 6-pack of Thalabert snatched out of my basket…

I’m not sure if limits were put on quantities - I think it would be a good idea to limit orders to 1 case for a limited period after wines are listed (2 weeks, perhaps), but beyond that I think we probably just have to see that it’s probably impossible for all of us to get everything we want, whatever the system. Listing and not telling anyone at least doesn’'t seem unfair… can you imagine the complaining if people missed out because their notification came a few hours after other peoples?

I’m really surprised to hear ‘16 Coudoulet made an appearance on the site. It was over-subscribed EP and rationed accordingly…

All clouds have a silver lining though - I grabbed an extra 6 bottles of Mont Redon CDP from the remaining stocks list with the saving. Having read two articles over the weekend describing the Mont Redon as “possibly the wine of the vintage” it wasn’t such a bad swap!

And that I think is the moral of the story - you miss one thing and then invariably TWS throw up something else to spend your finite budget on.

Not complaining as I had some Coudoulet en premier

The ‘16 Coudoulet is already drinking very nicely - you have a treat in store!

Sometimes, I think what might happen is that a member returns a small quantity of wine, it is re-listed on the site, and then goes ‘out of stock’ again really quickly. I have no idea whether that was the case with the Coudoulet or Mont Redon, but I have occasionally noticed 11 bottles of other wines ‘reappearing’ from time to time.

2014 Clos des Papes seems to be available now…

I took a bottle of this to Ibiza last week and it was very drinkable even at this early stage. Damn shame I could only afford one and even worse kept missing out on Mont Redon, which I really wanted to try.

MR 2016 is supposed to be the DB!