01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

#TWSTaste - Wine Champs

twstaste

We did decant it- but not sure if it’s necessary…?

I made a chicken dish, with bacon bits, mushrooms, courgette and pepper with some brown and wild rice.

(a really good match for both wines … but shhhh!!)

I’m here… frazzled… but here…

Looking forward to this - educational experience. Having been introduced to wine while living in Australia several years ago, we’ve never tasted a Gruner before! Which may seem odd to yous experts. There are many German-owned wineries in South Australia, but continental German wines are a closed book . . . . here goes with first ever Gruner . . .

Bet it won’t be your last. In fact, I bet it’ll be the beginning of a beautiful friendship! :wink:

Not sure the Austrians would like to be called German !

Evening, everyone - here we go with the background info for BOTH wines - I’m posting this from my PC, but will continue from my iPhone on the sofa!!!

The Society’s Grüner Veltliner 2017 £8.25 12% abv
AA2161

Our note says: A textbook Austrian grüner from the historic Stadt Krems winery, which punches well above its weight. Succulent pear and white-pepper aromas are followed by refreshing nectarine flavours on the palate.

Krems%20zoom%20in
Weingut Stadt Krems is a winery in the Kremstal region of Austria, owned and run by the local municipality. For years an old-fashioned, highly conservative organisation, it has been given a new lease of life by a more outward-looking and highly-trained generation now firmly at the helm. Wine quality has improved dramatically as a result. The wine maker is Fritz Miesbauer.

Historically, Weingut Stadt Krems arose from two sources. The first source is the property of the Bürgerspitalstiftung - In 1210, Duke Leopold VI of Babenberg founded a public hospital in Krems and left important legacies to it, including vineyards. The second source was the generous bequest of the imperial Burggrave of Krems, Ulrich von Dachsberg, who presented the town with vineyards in 1452.

Until 1744, the Town Hall in the historical centre of the city, which is over a thousand years old, accommodated the press house and the maturing cellar. They were then relocated to the cellar in the “Corporis Christi Brotherhood”.

In 1915, the city acquired a wine cellar in the town moat. The estate wines of the city have been pressed there ever since. No wines or grapes have ever been bought from outside vineyards.

There are around 30 more winery-owned hectares of vineyards on terraced sites to the east and west of the city of Krems, planted predominantly to the varieties of grüner veltliner and riesling. No grapes have ever been bought in from outside vineyards for the wines produced here. Since 2008 The Society has been following one of the flagship wines, the Lössterrassen Grüner Veltliner, for its fresh, zesty qualities, as well as the Rieden Selection Grüner Veltliner occasionally.

The Krems Valley is only a small winegrowing area, but there are two different soil types here.
The rolling highlands and the eastward falling slopes of the “Bohemian Massif” are some of the oldest formations in the world. In the Krems area, it is made up of various types of gneiss, whose weather-beaten forms make up the original Urgestein (primary rock) of the terraced vineyards to the west of the city. This is excellent soil for growing Riesling.

But the loess soil is of particular importance for viticulture in Krems. The loess was formed in the most recent Ice Age some 300,000 years ago. It is mainly found on the southern and southeastern slopes of the Krems vineyards. It provides optimal conditions for growing the famed Grüner Veltliner of Krems with a lot of spice and fine structure.

Stadt Krems Grüner Veltliner is a perfect match for Austrian food, but also matches delicately with spicy far eastern dishes and tempura. (Austrian food & Asian food – schnitzel with noodles? One of a few of my favourite things! … I’ll get my coat!)
julie

Football connection: Michael Wojtanowicz, who once had a trial for Swindon Town under Paolo di Canio in 2011, was born in Krems.

And now the red …

The Society’s Valpolicella Ripasso 2015 £10.50 13.5%

Our note says: We’re delighted with this intense, full-bodied Italian wine, whose ravishing ripe-fruit character and persistent fig-and-raisin flavour make it a companionable bottle for the colder months. A ‘baby Amarone’, ripasso is made by passing new wine through barrels to which the lees of Valpolicella’s most famous red have been added, bringing extra richness and complexity.

It is believed by some that the Valpantena Valley gets its name from the Roman pantheon, and indeed it is thought that the Romans were some of the first to plant vines here.

Valpantena%20wide
Valpantena%20zoom%20in

Situated to the north-east of Verona, this valley, which benefits from cooling breezes from the nearby Dolomites, is the same valley from which we source the grapes for The Society’s Pinot Grigio, but the region is better known for its excellent red wines.

Cantina Valpantena was formed here in 1958.

Today the co-operative has over 250 growers cultivating over 750 hectares of vines, from appellations all over the Verona hillsides, and the co-op is judged by many to be one of the best in Italy. A further 150 growers produce olive oil.

Cantina Valpantena uses mostly corvina veronese (the classic Valpolicella grape), rondinella and corvinone for its red wines, as well as garganega and trebbiano di lugana (identical to the verdicchio grape) for its whites. The company’s winery is, as you might expect, well equipped with modern technology. A wide range of wines are created here – from everyday reds like Valpolicella, to sweet whites like recioto and passito, and premium reds like Amarone. Its best range of wines is Torre del Falasco, the origin of our Ripasso blend of 90% corvina and corvinone, plus 10% rondinella, providing a quasi-Amarone style at a fraction of the price thanks to the aforementioned contact with Amarone wine lees.

Side note: New Zealander Matt Thompson makes some of his AZ range of wines at the winery.

The Cantine’s website says: “Others say the wine goes well with semi-aged cheeses, hare and all kinds of game … according to us Veronese, as long as it’s legal it goes with absolutely anything!”

Football connection: Mariano Castellani, who was a defender for Hellas Verona in the early 1920s, was born in Valpantena in 1903.

Come on England!!! (And I’m Scottish!)

Here…but limiting the food intake as we went out for a lunch. So it’s palate cleansing cream crackers!

oops - my mistake - apologies!!!

Both wines at once @ewan ?? That’s cheating!!

Thanks for that. I’ve always enjoyed Stadt Krems wines to be honest

Come on England :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I like the look of Fritz! He looks like an honest vintner… but seriously- can we give our nose impressions yet??

Now that’s dedication to trivia! :joy:

Right, let’s get going with the white while our boys in white are playing - who’s sniffing?! :smiley:

At least you’ve got some notes. I thought your scrolling finger needed some exercise! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sniffing… getting classic white pepper and pear!

I’m getting a very slight hint of pear drops on the nose…quite a lot of volatiles.

Me! Me! and I love it… definite white pepper, some citrus, and for me, something tropical too - maybe a pineapple…

Me too. Fritz and his team are doing fantastic work there. Winery is a really lovely, tasteful mix of old and new, tempted to say their wines offer a similar balance.

Gruner going well with spinach and ricotta pasta with green beans. This dish will also multitask with the red. Lovely steely nose. Refreshing and vibrant

Ooh, lovely white pepper notes here, too - and some citrus and pineapple.