01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Vintage 2018 Burgundy EP offers and tastings (non TWS)

burgundy
en-primeur

Thanks for the feedback Dan.
I am keen on Magnien’s lower level wines (coteaux, grains fins)

I’ve not had any of his wines when mature but I had a more favourable impression of the grains fins on Monday than last year’s EP. I say jump in!

Anyone has any experience with Domaine Chandon de Briailles? Wondering what their style is (especially whites)… No new oak, that much I know.

Seeing the thread on the 2018 Rhone EP… I guess no info about the burgundy EP?
I think TWS being consistently late in putting out their offers is a bit detrimental, as people may have used their budget elsewhere already to secure allocations…
Anyway…

Well, it should be March…

Not a white I’m afraid, but I had their 2005 Savigny Premier Cru Lavières about 18 months ago and I loved it. Built to last: it was drinking beautifully, but it clearly had the structure to keep going for a while longer; the vintage helped, no doubt. Very fragrant, lovely texture, very satisfying, and the oak was a helpful assistant rather than the boss.

I have another bottle and I don’t feel like I’m in any mad rush to open it. Don’t know what it was like in its youth though…

Hi Rich, did you go to the tasting yesterday? How did you find it, did anything stand out?

I did indeed. Tasted over 30 wines. For me, the standout wines were
White: Domaine Duc de Magenta Premier cru Puligny-Montrachet-Clos de la Garenne . I bought a case of this for £330-00 for six.
Red: Patrick Javillier Aloxe Corton. Delicious.
There were about 25 there and also the daughter of the owners of Domaine Dubreuil-Fontaine was there showcasing some of the families wines.
We also tried some from Hiubert Lamy, but the were just out of the barrel, so a bit Cloudy and too young. They were very fruity. Didn’t rate them highly at all.
There were no Ann Parent wines there since the shipment was being delayed by customs, alongside another producers wines so Peter mentioned that Andrew will do another tasting this year to try the wines delayed by customs.

The vintage is excellent and was better than the 2017 last year.

Afterwards, some of us, including Andrew popped to the Tapas bar across the road and took some of the wines with us.

A very good night.

Rich

I have tried and enjoyed a number of Lamy wines in the past, but it sounds like in this case they were maybe not ready for tasting!

I’ve really enjoyed Hubert Lamy wines. Usually very elegant, but I think you’re right-they were just way too young and definitely not ready for tasting.

rich.

Good to hear, unfortunately I could not go due to a nasty bit of cold. Hope I can pop in on on Sunday for a bit… How did you find the d’Ardhuy wines? Also, is the Dubreuil Fontaine Clos Berthet Blanc really that good?