01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday drinking thread [10 to 13 September]

weekday-drinking

Yes, the only thing that is lighter now is my wallet…

We are both in detox then…me until at least Friday I think, as a few refreshments were also taken during the day at The Oval…

Sometimes only a good old fashioned Aussie Shiraz hits the spot! Not over the top but at least half way up there. Lots of fruit which is still quite primary and maybe just a hint of what I think of as the Bassett’s allsorts that they sometimes develop.

I was tempted… but feared the lady next to me would never look at me the same way again. :crazy_face:

This little banger for tonight…

Bought January 2010.

This is really delightful, full of dusty hedgerow fruits. Simple, fresh and more-ish.

This one is on my radar, as I got the other (pricier) Mondeuse the society stocks - which is quite an unusual, wild and delicious red. Delighted this one is good too! Will add it to the wish list! :+1:

Had the Merande in a previous vintage as a bin end about a year ago, Its really very nice indeed. Would like to try them together as a comparison.

What sort of food do you recommend it with?

The W/S mentions charcuterie and as an ex-carnivore wouldn’t argue with that. Would’ also be good with dishes containing wild mushrooms. Would work with similar foods to a Loire cabernet franc.

A decent, in fact very good wine for a change
Stellenrust Old Bush Vine Cinsault
From Waitrose on the strength of a couple of reviews and the fact that there are an increasing number of old vine Cinsaults and Carrignan wines appearing and most are good.

A light faded cherry colour, very smooth with an initial scent that really was a knock out, strawberries and cream, it subdued with time but subdued version was still very pleasing, in the mouth strawberries and blackberries and just a tinge of oak, and in the background a hint of cough lozenge, I went all Jilly Goolden there ! but all well blended and as I said very smooth very good wine for the money, at the back of my mind this was a nod to Pinot Noir, but you would be unlikely to get PN as good as this Cinsault for the price.

Capturesc

A couple with lunch yesterday with family members visiting.

**2010 Jenkyn Place sparkling (Hampshire, England) **
Pretty classic English sparkler from the three classic grapes. This is the first 2010 I’ve had, and I think I prefer the 2009 (more depth to it), but nothing wrong with this at all.

2013 Domaine Le Galantin, Bandol blanc, France
A white Bandol! Very little of it is made compared with the reds and rosés. Mostly made from clairette grapes, the white is in the same tradition of most Provencal whites, though with rather more depth to the flavour (Clairette tends to favour the more neutral style of wine, so having a bit more intensity is no bad thing). Plus a few extra years in bottle has helped too. Goes well with a spicy mediterranean sort of dish which is what we had.

@Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis I think Clairette is a much under-appreciated grape variety that can make delicious wines that do age well. I’ve come across it most often in the Southern Rhone, but it is nice to hear of other examples - thanks!

If you get the chance this is also 100% Clairette and is excellent. TWS offer the Amadieu Gigondas in their EP offer, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the white on the list? Amadieu are working towards having this recognised as a White Gigondas in the fullness of time, but it is a slow and bureaucratic process I believe. Worth tracking down if you can find it…

https://www.pierre-amadieu.com/mes-vins/20-domaine-grand-romane-oac-cotes-du-rhone-white.html

More info here on the TWS site…

Just opened one of these, a Tesco oddity I found a few months back:

Really nice. I mean, it’s clearly on the way out, but there are still some dry dark fruits, woodsmoke, cigars and other assorted whatnots floating about in the glass. Soft but balanced on the palate, tannins all gone. Fading but satisfying, a pleasant surprise hidden away on the bottom shelf among the usual generic offerings.

We won’t be around for the TWSTaste tonight, unfortunately - but when we’re back, planning to open this 2015 Hungarian Cabernet Franc from Lidl:

Looking forward to finding out what it’s like…

Excellent, @Alchemist, I’m intrigued by that one.

Yes, Clairette can be really interesting if handled lovingly, though all too much probably finishes up in those rather anonymous-tasting Provence white blends.

I was intrigued by your example because we were discussing these wines with a sommelier in the S. of France, and he suggested a wine made from Clairette with some Ugni Blanc which had seen some barrel ageing. I thought it sounded a bit unpromising, but how wrong I was! It was sensational.

Most Clairette wines are basically bottled straight from tank as (I gather) Clairette is prone to oxidation, and can give low-acid wines if picked just a little too late. But show it some strictly controlled time in a barrel and the transformation is as dramatic as that of Sauvignon Blanc treated likewise. The risk of creating an oxidised, low acid oaky horror must be off-putting, but get it right and amazing things happen. These wines are as rare as hen’s teeth, but I see the Amadieu Gigondas is one such.

(Just remembering, Roussanne is similarly prone to low-acidity and oxidation, but just look at what that achieves when treated this way).

Not had much wine recently - combination of holidays where I mostly had beer and being ill. But last night tried the Juhfark that got rave reviews. Interesting taste to it and good with roast chicken.

Still not feeling 100% but I’m craving a good red.

A glass or two of the Montrachet (which was very good) kept me company last night while making dinner (a simple sausage & red apple dish), which was then served with the Brézème (which was good, & delicious!)

Tonight I’m taking part in the #twstaste — so that’ll be a drop of Muscadet (which I’m hoping will work well with these homemade fishcakes I’m making right now) followed by this cheeky little number:

Last night was Mrs. W’s birthday so had a simple spag bol with Ridge Lytton Springs 2012

Notice no Mrs W. We were taking it in turns to soothe our 19 month old who has all of a sudden decided he doesn’t want to sleep anymore :weary:
Not the most relaxing meal.
Wine was underwhelming I thought. Reminded me of a decent St. Emilion from a ripe vintage. Maybe it was the setting?

Following #twstaste , but having this instead…

You totally get the Gamay on the nose and just ripe strawberries on the palate. I classify my recently developed taste for demi sec sparklers as a bit of a guilty pleasure.

As we are heading that way after Sunday I shall pop into Maison Amadeus to see if they have any to taste, you can’t miss them as they have the most obvious tasting room on entering Gigondas, to be honest I have only tasted a couple of Clairettes and they have not exactly got me wanting more a bit neutral and insipid but who knows we will see if the “real thing” is available to taste and changes my mind.