01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday Drinking Thread (11-15 November 2019)

I very much enjoyed this yesterday. A Castello di Potentino ‘Sacromonte’ Sangiovese 2013 ( IGT Toscano ). Thanks to @Brocklehurstj for the recent notes too, reading them forced my hand to try it ( not that I need much encouragement )…

…quite a pale colour. Red fruits, cherry and raspberry mostly, spice and a hint of tobacco on the nose. Similar flavours on tasting. What surprises is the relatively light body for a wine that weighs in at 14.5% ABV. There was nothing heavy or soupy about it that’s for sure. Mellow and harmonious, soft faded tannins, a smooth supple texture and a great deal of personality for a wine that cost just £10.95.

And very different to other, more well known, sources of Tuscan sangiovese too.

Edit - I know the lentils look like sludge but that were actually really good !

Love lentils :slightly_smiling_face:

This is ridiculously good for six quid.

Some people, when they get a new kitchen, have a special tap installed for instant boiling water. I’d have a special tap with this coming out.

Agree. Very gluggable.

Second bottle from Monday’s delivery. Absolutely textbook Chablis, very pure managing to be intense and almost weightless simultaneously. Still a bit cool so hence the decanter - though I suspect it will probably help anyway. This is front runner for a wine at my birthday bash at the end of the month.

Tomorrow we are going to a tasting of Katy Jones’ wines organised by Fareham Wines. Looking forward to it, taking our friends (also called Jones) with whom we visited the winery two summers ago on a scorching hot day.

Here she is in action with a bottle of her lovely Rose in hand

That’s a quirky little shop! Great for geek-talk. Is there still no space anywhere for two people to walk past each other?

We have those taps at work. They’re rubbish. Yours sounds much better!

This is a wine we keep re-ordering. Cabernet Franc with 20% Cabernet Sauvignon added to stiffen it up a bit. Light black fruit with something herbaceous; a bit of tannic grip and lively acidity. Pre-Christmas walnut mailed to anyone who can guess the Monk album.

My first drinking thread reply for ages!

From Rajat Parr’s Sandhi, this is the entry-level Chardonnay. Surprisingly intense but balanced. Malo flavours, floral, yellow apple. One of my white wines of the year. Drinking so beautifully at 6yrs. From Lay & Wheeler, £27.

I love the Bourgogne Blanc from Tollot-Beaut and while pinot noir isn’t really my grape I took a punt on a case of 2015 from Justerini & Brooks for £85 IB. Not as much red fruit, cola on nose as many PN. Palette layered with leather, fruit and even a little spice. Very good for the £ and will buy more.

Brilliant Corners?

Bingo! I am a man of my word @Oldandintheway. DM me with your address if you want that walnut.

Correct. And rarely any prices on the bottles either so unless you know your stuff (or have their web site open on your phone) you could be picking something quite expensive. Dominic is a nice guy, quite introverted for a customer facing position but really knows his stuff and is always helpful and keen to advise if you say the kind of thing you are looking for. And they stock some great wines!

No need, just send the album…

Trying a bottle of this Hungarian specimen, this evening. It was a free wine given by the Society in an order offer, a couple of months ago. I have to confess I’ve never tried Hungarian wine other than Tokaji. Looking forward to this. Having it with Quorn Milanese; an unorthodox combination! Will report back! :face_with_monocle:

Just a small whisky for me this evening

Such a beautiful wine with lovely complexity
and really elegant . Off to Costco for more :yum:.

Another lovely Boeckel wine! Mouth watering acidity with good length and a steely core. Tempted to put a few away for a couple of years. Kudos to the W/S for its long Alsace list!

Thursday evening of cooking. Making some beef mince ragout with red lentils to boost quantities. Opened an old wine Agiorgitiko, to also use part of it in the cooking, but liked it too much so decanted half in a half bottle for the weekend / next week. Then I found a bottle of the 2011 Hunting Hill Chardonnay from Kumeu river that looks like it was opened… probably a week ago… but, alas also too good for the food, so tap water it is. Actually the Kumeu River has opened up really nicely over the week opened and is quite a different wine from what I remember from a week ago. Also one eye on the football… not bad.

Is this the same as the Agiorgitiko you brought to the BYOB lunch last October, @szaki1974? It was such a beautiful wine! It really left an impression on me…