01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday drinking thread 6th Aug - 9th Aug

Oh! I confess I’d sort of missed the fact that you’d started the topic with a Muscadet - and a Magnum no less!! I’ve never tried an older Muscadet. And it’s still in stock… adds to wish list

@DrEm, I am a true lover of Muscadet and there are so many excellent examples to choose from. I’ve just left the Loire yesterday and so had this last night ! Chateau Thébaud are really consistent in the quality of their muscadets with this one being no exception. It didn’t last long :wink:.

This went down a treat last night.

Still showing some oak but fruit was still prominent.
A tasty little mid week treat to help get me through the rest of the week.

I went there when I had my Aus trek through the vineyards years back, if I remember it was a high altitude vineyard, nice wines though I haven’t seen them here ?
David Wynn was the owner and we met him, is he still with us he must be getting on now ?

Back from a family holiday in Bordeaux, joined by both our daughters and our grandson (age 5), so this is by way of accompanying a couple of farewell meals.

2008 Riesling, GC Engelberg (Domaine Pfister)
Absolutely classic dry riesling of the old school. No residual sugar here, thanks! 2008 has been described as one of those years that winemakers choose to lay down for posterity - tough as old boots when young, but last for ever once they come round. Which I’m pleased to say this one is now doing. A terrific food wine with all you look for in a maturing riesling, yet elegant.

I’m a big fan of these northern (Bas Rhin) Alsace wines - they usually avoid the “big and blowsy” effect that the southern Haut Rhin wines frequently suffer from.

Paul Clouet (Bouzy), Rosé Champagne - NV

Nice and still fruity, but there are better wines from Bouzy. Odd, because these wines are made by Bonnaire, whose own wines from the Cote des Blancs are impeccable.

2000 Riesling, Herrenweg de Turckheim (Domaine Zind Humbrecht)

Big and blowsy (see above)! Probably falls in the category of “Rich but dry” in the TWS scheme of things. Enough RS to be noticeable but not enough that you could say it was sweet. But a terrific nose, and vast amount going on on the palate. Plenty of hydrocarbon action here. Impressive, though a bit of a curate’s egg. A bit heavy going.

2006 “Bu n’Daw” Doux, La Grange de Quatre Sous (Assignan, France)

A southern French sticky, and I use that term advisedly as this stuff looks and pours like rear axle gear oil. Mercifully it doesn’t smell that way though. 100% Petite Arvine, which is actually a Swiss grape, with enough residual acidity to carry this unusual stunt off. It must be at least 50% sugar, presumably made from passerillé grapes (little evidence of botrytis).

Astonishing concentration of flavours, which are a combination of mature and raisiny and fresh and grapefruity. A tiny sip is all you need, and frankly, a single small glass is also all you need at one sitting. So actually quite good value. Any more and the sugar gets to you. But rare and unusual. Glad I tried it.

Been drinking a bottle of The Society’s Barbera d’Asti Superiore (don’t know how to put in those fancy looking TWS links). I’ve had it laid down since 2016 when I bought two and, sad to say, both tastings have been a little meh. A bit sharp and lacking in complexity. I guess Barbera just doesn’t suit me too well since my previous forays into this grape have not been very happy.

Sad for my first post outside Introductions to be a bit of a grumble. But not much of one and most of my TWS wines have been very happy events!

Barbera can be a bit acidic and flat. My limited experience is that better ones, often with a bit of barrel aging can be lovely. The cheaper versions like pizza jug wine.

To link the webpage, just highlight and copy the page address at the top of the page you want to link. Then paste it into the forum post. I think it needs its own line. you can see if it works on the preview on the right.

Yeah I think that would fit my impression of it. As I say it’s probably just not to my taste (Bordeaux dominated) but I am currently exploring Italian wines. My favourites so far seem to have been:

Exceptional value this one!

So none of them Barbera!

[alright the links worked!!!]

This one is quite a favourite in the community
Agree about La Grola; very nice.

I have this one waiting in my ‘cellar’

Sorry to hop in with my Staff hat on, but I just wanted to ask if you’d told Member Services about this experience? They’d be happy to raise a credit for you so you can choose something else! :slight_smile: It’s all part of The Society’s Promise.

But I’ll let you all get back to your weekly wine chat now! Haven’t tried La Grola, clearly I should?!

I don’t think it’s the fault of the society or even the wine. Just not a grape that suits me; it wasn’t horrible, just okay. As I experiment I’m always going to find some that don’t suit me and I’ll usually make a couple of attempts in case it is down to a bad bottle.

Thanks for the offer though.

I’ve generally found that there’s quite a difference between Barbera d’Alba and Barbera d’Asti, with the former being smoother and fruitier, and the latter tending to be more acidic. And as @Russ said, as you go up in price there’s a noticeable difference. You won’t need to spend a fortune to see the difference - if you want to explore the grape a bit more then I’d recommend giving this a go:

Ciabot Berton make really good wines at good prices, and this will likely be a much easier-drinking and more enjoyable experience than the Society Barbera d’Asti :+1:

You’ll like that Valpolicella Ripassa I think.

Judging by the ones you’ve explored and liked, it looks like you prefer the fuller, sweeter reds of Italy. If you stay Central or South, you’ll probably have a better hit rate.

The lighter reds of the north may be more of a gamble, without spending £££ on a Barbaresco or Amarone. That Ripassa being the exception.

The test might be something like the Society’s Chianti Rufina. If you like that, then maybe try a Dolcetto.

Monday out to dinner at pubtaurant with The Grumpy Old Men group, so Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2017 with fish and chipss.

Tuesday, at home and Penne with Aubergine and Tomato sauce and salad and the ‘perfect pasta’ wine

Wednesday, at home with home made Vegetable Curry, Rice and (shop bought) Naan and, for the first time, the delicious

Thursday, tonight, unknown. Out to another pubtaurant with family.

I’d imagine this will be right up your strada!

Still trying to work out whether the heatwave broke my wine collection…

This seems fine, still tastes like the picture on the label, although there’s a slight soapiness that I’m sure wasn’t there before.

I suppose it’s a bit younger than the others I’ve tried so far; maybe it can take a bit of rough treatment.

Onwards!

We’re going to give the Lidl St Laurent a go this evening:

I must say- I’m really looking forward to it. It’s been a while since I had a varietal St Laurent (though had plenty of it in blends).

Planning to cook a simple tomato, goat’s cheese and thyme tart with it. Should go nicely together.

Will start the evening with an Amotillado from M&S though.

Almost holiday time… :clinking_glasses::beach_umbrella:

The Valpolicella Ripasso is on the menu for tonight so I can finally catch up on the latest TWStaste

Glad to hear it was a hit

Yeah I’ve not seen them over here either. Brought over from Aus when I first moved over. Owned by treasury wine estate now I believe. Not sure about the state of David.
The wine is from high Eden, a sub region of Eden valley, more famous for its riesling’s. But make great Shiraz as well. It’s bloody cold up there in the winter!
From a 2ha block, 14 day ferment with another 5 weeks maceration. 2 years in French barriques from 1994 vineyard 500m asl.